Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De-commission shotgun

Options
  • 18-04-2017 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

Hi

Is it possible to de-commission a shotgun anymore. It's old and dangerous but has sentimental value.

I rang a local gunsmith who told me they have to go to England to be done.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's the new EU laws. Still not 100% up on them, but yes all de-acts or those wishing to must be done by a proof house which there are none of it in Ireland so has to go to England.

Otherwise it's a chop it up job here.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

Cass wrote: »
    It's the new EU laws. Still not 1005 up on them, but yes all de-acts or those wishing to must be done by a proof house which there are none of it in Ireland so has to go to England.

Otherwise it's a chop it up job here.

Chop it up job I say. How much does it cost to send it over

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm not 100%. Shipping won't be too much, but i don't know how much the proofing house charge.

The PITA part will be the paperwork. It's a firearm to be exported, then a de-act to be shipped back. that requires export/import licenses, etc, etc. Not a long process, but not overnight either and surely not a case of just send it on over.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

NO .You don't have to send it to the UK! If you are de activating it to be a wall hanger or to sell it,gift it or inherit it to someone else then yes at the moment,you would have to send it to the UK to get it de acted to EU standards.Which are ridicilous and still under discussion as they are too rigid to be applied in all cases properly EU wide.
    If you are talking about destroying it,any gunsmith with a steel chop saw or the likes can slice it up into scrap metal and issue a letter of destruction for you to take to the AGS.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Slightly off-topic, but still to do with deactivation, if I can be forgiven for posting it.

Back in '97 when most of us had to hand our handguns over to the police for destruction or 're-assignment' to the police armouries - maybe even getting sent to the national collection like three of mine, a shooting pal of mine handed in his Colt Gold Cup target .45ACP pistol, as required by the new law.

It was his only handgun, and he'd won dozens of medals with it over the years he'd used it in competition, here in UK, over in Europe and even in the USA. It was his baby, and cared for in every way. He'd even made a French-style box for it. For those unfamiliar with the term, it is a gun box made of solid wood that has been cut out precisely to the outline of the contents.

This is important to remember.

Andy worked for a very progressive small-scale precision engineering company in Huntingdon, making very special items for Lola Racing ,which was then alive and well and just across the road from Andy's company. His company had some VERY interesting and state-of-the-art metal-working equipment, as you'll see, and had actually made some of the parts for the British Mars lander project.

Andy moved to the counter, produced his FAC and little wooden pistol case. He opened it up, so that the PO could verify the serial number, and then, in a low voice, said 'I wouldn't try and pick it up if I were you'. The police officer looked at him as though he was crazy, and asked 'Well, I HAVE to check the gun is safe for me to take off you, right?'

'Suit yourself', said Andy, 'but I suggest that you just stick a pencil in the muzzle to lift it out of the box.'

'Tell you what,' replied the PO, 'YOU do it, and I'll start the paperwork as soon as I see it's OK'.

Andy carefully put a handy pencil into the muzzle, and lifted out the first couple of inches of the complete pistol - barrel bushing, barrel, and slide - leaving the rest of the gun where it lay.

'WTF?' uttered the PO , 'What have you done to it?'

'Well,' replied Andy, holding the slices of his pistol carefully on the pencil' 'I'd heard on the grapevine that the Chief Constable is putting together a 'private museum' of interesting handguns seized [and that's the right word] from their legal owners, and thought, b*gger that for a game of soldiers, no f*cker is going to enjoy MY pistol after having taken it off me.

So yesterday, after I'd gone to the club and shot my last-ever box of ammunition, I came to work and used one of my new precision water cutting machines to micro-slice my pistol up into forty-five slices, just like a sliced loaf. I'd like to see you or anybody else try and shoot it now.'

'And before you say anything, when I did that, it was MY property to do with as I wanted. Now it's YOUR property, and you can do sweet f*ck-all with it, unless you're very handy with the old super-glue.'

With that, he walked out of the door.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

^^^^^^^^

Brilliant, I love it :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BOOM!!! Drops mike and exits stage left!!:D:D:D:D
    Would be my plant too,would NEVER give a gun grabber a working firearm.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement