Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Porridge or toast in the morning - which is better?

• 18-04-2017 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭

I would usually have a bowl of porridge made with low fat Supermilk. I add a little honey and some fruit-free / sugar-free granola (the Maria Lucia one).

I was thinking of changing things a bit to reduce dairy and keep the calorie count about the same. This morning I had two slices of toast (Danish loaf from Supervalu but on a normal day it would have to be Brennan's) with soya butter and a little marmalade.

I don't feel any more or less hungry, about the same. Would this be a better option? And should I only eat brown bread?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

There's no one food better or worse than another....it depends on your diet as a whole and whether it's balanced or needs changing to suit your goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Diet is pretty good, and varied. Don't eat too much meat, eat plenty of veggies, avoid high sugar / salt content foods, don't eat a massive amount of bread (which is why I was asking about switching out porridge for bread).

I count calories on MFP and am able to keep a reasonably consistent weight (up and then down 3 or 4 pounds here or there) and was able to drop about 2 stone over the course of about 10 months just from counting calories, balanced with light exercise (walking, some running). I wasn't overweight, just got a bit leaner and have stayed around that weight ever since.

Just was more curious about long term, if I should stick to porridge (dairy based but no wheat, lower carb) or go with toast (dairy free but higher carb).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

Doesn't MFP show complete nutritional value including vitamins and minerals of chosen foods? I use Cronometer and it shows % of required daily intake for each food item and overall totals. I try to get as close as I can to 100% everyday.

Little note on your food choices: low fat milk is sh1te and so is the soy products.

j@utis wrote: »
    Little note on your food choices: low fat milk is sh1te and so is the soy products.

Yeah I know the low fat milk isn't the best but I can't stomach the full fat (as in, I don't like the taste). I use the Pure soya spread and it's alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

There's absolutely nothing wrong with low fat milk (relative to whole milk). It's identical in nearly every respect, but with less fat content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

We had a nutritionist come into work recently and this exact question was asked.

Her answer was porridge made with full fat milk with a small amount of nuts and seeds on top.
    She advised this is the most 'complete' breakfast in her eyes and what she eats herself.

I prefer the toast though!

I guess the best solution is to vary between porridge and toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

What does complete breakfast even mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I usually have foie gras.

But within calorific reason.

Vary it if you fancy. It's not a huge deal. Some people don't have breakfast but make up what they need for their calorie intake for the rest of the day because that's what ultimately counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Porridge with almond milk and egg whites, got everything ya want :D

• Advertisement

Must try almond milk actually. Thanks for the tip.

Cashew works really good too if you like creamy porridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If you don't want dairy just use another milk in your porridge, porridge with soy milk is probably the tastiest of all including dairy in my opinion. But yeah rice milk, almond milk and even oat milk for some incestual porridge.

No reason to avoid wheat either unless it doesn't agree with you. Don't believe everything you read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Get the unsweetened version - much more palatable than the sweetened one i think!

Had the unsweetened almond milk this morning, with a little honey and granola - was fine! Not much difference in taste to be honest, and I don't feel bloated afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Make porridge with water here and just throw a yoghurt in to it then. Not on any diet but cools it and flavours it as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

Greenduck wrote: »
    Get the unsweetened version - much more palatable than the sweetened one i think!

Aldi have this, reasonable price as well, €1.69 per litre if im not mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Had the unsweetened almond milk this morning, with a little honey and granola - was fine! Not much difference in taste to be honest, and I don't feel bloated afterwards.

You bought the unsweetened version and then you put sugar in it :)

learn_more wrote: »
    You bought the unsweetened version and then you put sugar in it :)

I did. Porridge for me without honey is a bit unpalatable. Would've been double the sugar if I'd bought the sweetened milk.

I did. Porridge for me without honey is a bit unpalatable. Would've been double the sugar if I'd bought the sweetened milk.

If you are trying to cut down on sugar/calories you should try the zero cal syrups, myprotein and bulkpoweders sell them and they taste awesome

• Advertisement

If you are trying to cut down on sugar/calories you should try the zero cal syrups, myprotein and bulkpoweders sell them and they taste awesome

Oh yeah? What are they made of? Are those shops or online retailers?

Saying that, honey is sometimes alright. It's the only time I ever have honey, and it's usually just a squirt / teaspoon.

Oh yeah? What are they made of? Are those shops or online retailers?

Saying that, honey is sometimes alright. It's the only time I ever have honey, and it's usually just a squirt / teaspoon.

They are online but I think some of the health shops sell similar products.

https://www.myprotein.ie/sports-nutrition/sugar-free-syrup/11087103.html?autocomplete=productsuggestion

http://www.bulkpowders.ie/zero-calorie-syrup.html

Hmm, zero calories are one thing, but there's a lot of preservatives, sweetners, thickeners, and colourings in those syrups. Think I'll stick to my honey. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Hmm, zero calories are one thing, but there's a lot of preservatives, sweetners, thickeners, and colourings in those syrups. Think I'll stick to my honey. :)

If you're on a deficit they're a good substitute for syrups if you like to be liberal with it as I do. Not bad but certainly not as nice as maple syrup or honey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭mad m

Every 2nd day I have porridge, throw in a bit of maple syrup (I know I know full of sugar) but tastes good, few nuts and half banana chopped into it. Make it with full fat milk as find it creamier. Used to use soya or almond milk but if you look at what's in theses they are full of sweeteners.

Other mornings I usually have scramble or boiled eggs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I'm always amazes me the way some ppl think that Porridge has some magical properties. Especially if you consume it first thing in the morning. 'Good lad, you ate your porridge'.

learn_more wrote: »
    I'm always amazes me the way some ppl think that Porridge has some magical properties.

It has less sugar, salt, and calories than breakfast cereals like Weetabix or Cornflakes.

It has less sugar, salt, and calories than breakfast cereals like Weetabix or Cornflakes.

Tbf weetabix isn't exactly rammed with added shíte and not high in calories either. I do prefer porridge but there's a fairly broad spectrum of 'breakfast cereals' amd weetabix is at the better end.

Tbf weetabix isn't exactly rammed with added shíte and not high in calories either. I do prefer porridge but there's a fairly broad spectrum of 'breakfast cereals' amd weetabix is at the better end.

I agree, I have it the odd time and my kids have it too. Cornflakes aren't too bad either, Rice Krispies also. Not much nutrition but at least lower in sugar and salt than the likes of Special K or Bran Flakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭marialouise

mad m wrote: »
    Every 2nd day I have porridge, throw in a bit of maple syrup (I know I know full of sugar) but tastes good, few nuts and half banana chopped into it. Make it with full fat milk as find it creamier. Used to use soya or almond milk but if you look at what's in theses they are full of sweeteners.

Other mornings I usually have scramble or boiled eggs....

You can get unsweetened almond and soya milk. I don't use soya because of its potential hormonal disruption (not going to get into that here) but I love unsweetened almond milk and find it quite creamy. Cashew milk is the creamiest, so lovely! And about half the calories of milk.

Also, why avoid sweeteners and then add maple syrup?

You can get unsweetened almond and soya milk. I don't use soya because of its potential hormonal disruption (not going to get into that here) but I love unsweetened almond milk and find it quite creamy. Cashew milk is the creamiest, so lovely! And about half the calories of milk.

Also, why avoid sweeteners and then add maple syrup?

I add honey. I'd avoid sweeteners as they are full of stuff like thickeners, colouring, preservatives, etc.

Used put jam in porridge.

Vanilla whey goes in now so no need for additional sweeteners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

LiamaDelta wrote:
    There's no one food better or worse than another....it depends on your diet as a whole and whether it's balanced or needs changing to suit your goals.

Porridge obviously is better than toast. Porridge is actually one of the very few foods that reduces cholesterol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Breakfast here varies most days as all four eat same breakfast, 2 adults 2 kids.
    Porridge with honey or fruit.
    Egg and toast, egg poached boiled or scrambled.
    Home made Pancake once a week, fruit or lemon and mayple syrup. Sometimes bacon
    Sausages once a week, and toast, sausages from our own pigs.
    Sometimes homemade brown bread and banana.

I don't think people should be too obsessed with "I want to know the best breakfast and I'll eat that forever", that just unsustainable, a variety for each meal is the most long term sustainable approach. Try and cook from ingredients more and more.

Advertisement