Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in carers

Options
  • 18-04-2017 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys,

I'm looking for any information on live in careers for my parents.
    They are currently living at home, and would want to stay there, but due to health issues, they will need help.
    I hear that Filipino carers are very good carers, and very kind. I would want the carer to be there for companionship, as much as a carer, and be able to form a good bond.

Any help in this area would be much appreciaed.

Rgds,
    Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,379 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't think it would be a good idea to employ anyone, including a carer, on the basis of nationality. You will need to do considerable work to check out someone you are introducing into your parents' home. You will also need to look at your employer responsibilities, insurance etc. You cannot employ one person to be there 24/7, you will need 2 at least to do shifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 duckie360

Hi Looksee,

Thanks for the reply.
    At this stage I am just seeing what my options are.
    We have a couple of hrs home help, but will need to greatly increase this.

Rgds,
    Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Hi I am afraid I have no real tangible information to provide
    but might be worth checking these out http://www.homecareplus.ie/how-we-work

I haven't used the service or know anything about it, but it might be another option worth looking into.

Good luck with your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

OP: Did you have any luck finding anything?

I am looking for a live in carer for my parents. The HSE Homecare Package seems to focus on the essentials (dressing, taking meds, etc.), which my parents can still do for the time being. I am looking for someone who can ease the daily burden a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

embraer170 wrote: »

I am looking for a live in carer for my parents. The HSE Homecare Package seems to focus on the essentials (dressing, taking meds, etc.), which my parents can still do for the time being. I am looking for someone who can ease the daily burden a little.

What are you looking for precisely, cos u seem to suggest not much care is required at all. Us it like just a shopping run.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 duckie360

embraer170 wrote: »

Hi Embraer,

My dad was back in hospital since my last post and had had more hours assigned. We have added on some extra private hours from the firm currently caring for my parents.
    I think what you may need, and what we were looking at, but wasn't suitable in our case, is to find someone who would be available to pop in for a couple of hours and help out with what you deem necessary. You would essentially be this person's employer, and would therefore need to draw up a contract around what duties you want performed.

Hope this helps.
    Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi

Anyone be able to help with live in care for elderly parents, can you PM me please

Advertisement