Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI Irish Exemption

Options
  • 18-04-2017 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

I've been looking at applying for an exemption in Irish as I was born outside of Ireland and it's been my worst subject out of everything. I'll stick it out for 5th year and see how I do but if I really struggle with it, I'm thinking of not sitting the exam and getting a NUI exemption. I was wondering what colleges and universities accept an NUI exemption. I probably won't get a DES exemption because I've done all my schooling here. Anyway, I just wanted to know the third level institutes that it applies to in case I'm crossing off any of the colleges I want to go to.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

NUI colleges are UCD, UCC, UCG and Maynooth.
    RCSI, NCAD and St. Angela's have NUI links. There may be other colleges connected with them.

Trinity need you to pass English and another language.

DCU and the Institutes of Technology need you to pass English, but do not have a further language requirement, unless it is specific to the course you are applying for.

You will be able to apply to any college you want. Your language exemption will not be a problem. It only comes into play for NUI courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

spurious wrote: »
    RCSI, NCAD and St. Angela's have NUI links. There may be other colleges connected with them.

DCU and the Institutes of Technology need you to pass English, but do not have a further language requirement, unless it is specific to the course you are applying for.

You will be able to apply to any college you want. Your language exemption will not be a problem. It only comes into play for NUI courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alicia 9091

spurious wrote: »

Does that mean if I want to do medicine or any course in NUI Galway the exemption doesn't apply meaning I need Irish?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Does that mean if I want to do medicine or any course in NUI Galway the exemption doesn't apply meaning I need Irish?

If you do not have an exemption (on the grounds of having been born outside the State or having a specific learning disability such as dyslexia), yes, you will need to have passed Irish. It does not need to be one of the subjects you count for points for Medicine, but you need to pass it, at least at OL.

From the NUI site:
    Subjects required for matriculation

For entry to all degrees, English, Irish, and four other subjects in the Leaving Certificate (GCE/GCSE or other acceptable qualification) are required.

A third language must be included among the other subjects for most degree programmes in Arts, Human Sciences, Law, Social Science, Commerce, Medicine and Health Sciences and some other degrees (for exceptions see Matriculation Reguations, Section 4.1, page 13).

<snipped section applying to some other courses>

Language requirements for matriculation: exemptions Irish

Generally speaking, anybody applying to an NUI institution who was born and had all their education in the Republic of Ireland must present Irish (achieving at least Grade D at Ordinary Level) for Matriculation purposes. Students not born in the Republic of Ireland or educated for an extended period outside Ireland may apply to NUI for an exemption from the Irish language requirement. Students with specific learning difficulties affecting language acquisition (dyslexia) may also apply for exemption from Irish. To apply for an exemption, it is necessary to send in a completed Exemption Application Form and other relevant material.

Advertisement