Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broker never changed my insurance to my new car

Options
  • 18-04-2017 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Its a bit of a long story but i need some advice.

I bought a new car on the 8th of April rang the broker the day before and asked for my insurance to be changed over that morning and they said no problem we will send you out the disc in the post. So that was fine collected the car on the saturday morning and have been driving away in it. I got stopped on Thursday night at a checkpoint and the garda was quite sound about having no disc just asked that i produced proof within 10 days and i had no problem with that.
    Due to the long weekend the broker was only open this morning so I rang them only to find out that they had no record of me changing the car. They said they will look into it and call me back.
    Im still waiting for that call!

Anyway im wondering where do I stand with this? I changed it over the phone so all I have is the record of a call on my phone and thats it. If i dont have a disc by monday of next week I could be summoned to court for this but I have done all I had to do the fault lies with the brokers.

Does anybody have any advice on this? I am quite worried to say the least as my job requires me to do quite a bit of driving and I could really do without all of this hardship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

If you notified your insurance broker and they confirmed cover, you'll be fine. If they have authority to do so from the insurance company, the satisfactory paperwork will come out to you. If they don't have authority to effect cover for the insurance company and forgot to pass on the instruction, it is a professional negligence by them and they should have insurance to compensate you for any loss their mistake has caused. If no accident has occurred, the insurance company should accept the explanation from the broker, with a reprimand, and issue documents (though not guaranteed)

Are you aware if the call was recorded at their end?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rya_bren

Im not sure if the call was recorded on there end but they guy on the phone started calling put random regs to me and then told me it was being changed from private to commercial which is also incorrect. It another private car I bought.
    Its just the way in which he was hesitant to tell me anything that is worrying me here like if it turns out that I wasnt insired on the car at the time I passed through the checkpoint but I did all I could can the garda who stopped me still summons me to court ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

rya_bren wrote: »
    Its just the way in which he was hesitant to tell me anything that is worrying me here like if it turns out that I wasnt insired on the car at the time I passed through the checkpoint but I did all I could can the garda who stopped me still summons me to court ?

You have 10 days to provide evidence of cover, or it is likely that a summons will follow. I'd make sure the broker acts quickly on this before it becomes an issue. First thing to do is ask if calls are recorded and give him the time it was and ask for it to be pulled

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Im not sure if the call was recorded on there end but they guy on the phone started calling put random regs to me and then told me it was being changed from private to commercial which is also incorrect. It another private car I bought.

Make sure you keep a copy of your phone records - that would at least prove you made the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rya_bren

After lengthy shouting matches witht the broker it suddendly appears on there system that the change went through after all 😠thanks for all the advice guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

After lengthy shouting matches witht the broker it suddendly appears on there system that the change went through after all 😠thanks for all the advice guys

Well done. Sweaty palms moment over.

Moral - get it in writing even if it is just a text message to your phone or an e-mail before taking to the road. This could have been very awkward.

Don't forget to follow through and produce at the Garda station as failure to do so within 10 days would be a separate offence :rolleyes:

Advertisement