Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment not cleaned before moving in

Options
  • 18-04-2017 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what people's opinions on this are

A few weeks back, I viewed an apartment that someone was still living in and who would be vacating at month end. The landlord showed me around, and we decided to take it. The person living in the apartment was moving out at the end of March. We had paid up to the end of April in our current place, but due to the competitive nature of renting these days, we agreed to pay the deposit on the new place from the 7th of April and double rent for a few weeks.

We decided to move some stuff into the new apartment on Thursday of last week after being assured by the landlord that it was cleaned and ready to go, only to find that it wasn't cleaned at all. The kitchen was dirty, dust everywhere, food left in the freezer, various rubbish left around the place, rubbish in the bin etc

I rang the landlord straight away and he acted surprised, but did apologize to be fair. I think it's clear that he just assumed that the girl living there would do a good job of cleaning the place before she left, and never actually went to inspect for himself. We had planned on staying there just for the night we moved in, but due to the place not being cleaned, ended up forking out €100 for a hotel (our other place is the other side of the country). He text me the following day apologizing again and saying that he wouldn't be able to get a cleaner in until today (Tuesday). Now the last thing i want to do is fall out with the new landlord, as it is a lovely place and at a reasonable price, but given that the house in our eyes was unlivable until it gets cleaned, should I be looking for a reduction in the first month's rent? Or can he tell me to do one? I would assume that he should be taking the cleaning costs out of the previous person's deposit, but the least a new tenant should expect is a clean apartment when moving in after paying money over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Unless she left filth everywhere to the point that it was a health hazard while not ideal I think going to a hotel was a bit to much and you will have to pay for it yourself. Hope you took pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Unless she left filth everywhere to the point that it was a health hazard while not ideal I think going to a hotel was a bit to much and you will have to pay for it yourself. Hope you took pictures.

I sent him on about 30 pictures at his request. There were also broken chairs in the kitchen. The guy lives 10 minutes down the road - you would think he'd have the decency to check that the place was clean before having new tenants move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

....... wrote: »

Of course you would clean it yourself, but cleaning a filthy oven and microwave that someone else has destroyed? We also found what looked like mouse droppings in the hot press. And broken furniture? The least you'd expect when moving into a new apartment is that the landlord has the decency to inspect it before you move in, or is that too much to ask these days?

• Advertisement

I probably would have slept there to be honest, but my girlfriend is a clean freak and refused. I meant the appliances were filthy, no attempt at cleaning them whatsoever. The hotel isn't the issue, it's the fact that the landlord didn't even check to see if the place was clean before letting us move in, which i find downright ignorant and cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

My opinion is that going to a hotel was a bit precious, it doesn't sound like the flat was un-inhabitable or anything even close to that.

The landlord has apologised and is making arrangements, going after him for compensation sounds like a good way to fall out with your new landlord.

My opinion is that going to a hotel was a bit precious, it doesn't sound like the flat was un-inhabitable or anything even close to that.

The landlord has apologised and is making arrangements, going after him for compensation sounds like a good way to fall out with your new landlord.

I haven't told the landlord about the hotel to be fair. I just could never imagine renting a place out that hasn't been cleaned. I'm not looking to fall out with the guy, but I don't find it unreasonable to ask the question anyway - it should come from the previous person's deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

You are fully justified in expecting the place to be properly cleaned before you move in, and if the landlord was in any way decent he would be offering you a discount of some form.

I find it very odd that he would not have checked the place out before you moved in, there is simply no excuse for that.

So who forks out for broken furniture? And professional cleaning of the apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

I totally understand why you're annoyed but I would let it go.
    He should have checked it yes but he didn't and is getting it cleaned now.

It's not ideal but it is what it is and I wouldn't take it any further - for the sake of your relationship with him.

Just maybe don't break your back to clean it thoroughly yourself when the times comes to move out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Unfortunately the "free" market dictates the level of service given to a tenant nowadays.

I looks as if you will have to clean up after the previous scruff.

Lets hope that the Landlord takes cleaning costs out of the deposit he has taken form the previous tenant and lets hope it is enough to cover the often heavy costs of cleaning between lets.

I'd much prefer the German system of unfurnished lets where the tenant provides their own appliances but I can't see Irish regulations allowing for that on one years leases.

Nobody keeps an oven or fridge clean enough between lets unless they are a salad eating vegetarian who neither fries or roasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

doolox wrote: »
    Nobody keeps an oven or fridge clean enough between lets unless they are a salad eating vegetarian who neither fries or roasts.

I've had to clean fridges and ovens on moving out of places that I have rented, it certainly can be a complete nightmare, in fact for the oven I needed to get a person in who does such cleaning for a living. I had no choice in the matter though as my contract clearly stated that I needed to leave the place as I had found it when I moved in ...

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    We had paid up to the end of April in our current place, but due to the competitive nature of renting these days, we agreed to pay the deposit on the new place from the 7th of April and double rent for a few weeks.

So you paid for 3 weeks rent you don't need in order to be sure to beat the competition? Isn't that just adding to the very problem you feel you're up against?

As I said in my original post, different side of the country

• Advertisement

I also stated in my opening post that he had told me that it was cleaned. I didn't expect him to get someone in on Good Friday. I expected it to be clean after being told by him that it was clean.

Not in it yet no

Because it was late Thursday evening when I got there, home would have been a 2 hour journey back up the road

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Did you not do a mutual inspection, inventory check and set of photos shpwing the condition of the place when you got the keys and handed ovet your deposit????

Obviously not. So what are you going to say when the LL asks about some piece of furniture that you've never seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

When I went to rent an apartment it was left the way the previous tenants left it, not bad but not great either.
    My mum came with us as we were about to sign the lease and gave out yards to the management company one, saying it was filthy and the old mattress a disgrace. So they cleaned and put a new mattress in.
    If the landlord seems reasonable you could bring up the suggestion that you have been paying for something you can't use and would reasonably hope for a discount on the first month.

I think you are reading too much into the hotel side of things! That was a decision made at the time out of anger to be honest, but i know the area and was in a hotel within 10 minutes. I wasn't going back up to my other rented accommodation for the weekend, I was going home to my parents house in a different part of the country again.

I've been renting since i was 18, and I'm now 31, and have never had to move into a dirty apartment/house in my life, even through my college years. I genuinely think it's outrageous that someone could rent out an apartment and not check that it's clean first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I think you could push the date your taking the property back to the date when Landlord had it cleaned and ready to go , I doubt he will argue this point with you .
    I would not expect the Hotel to be covered as that was really your choice and there was a feasible alternative solution (drive home)

When I went to rent an apartment it was left the way the previous tenants left it, not bad but not great either.
    My mum came with us as we were about to sign the lease and gave out yards to the management company one, saying it was filthy and the old mattress a disgrace. So they cleaned and put a new mattress in.
    If the landlord seems reasonable you could bring up the suggestion that you have been paying for something you can't use and would reasonably hope for a discount on the first month.

I agree, it all comes down to how reasonable he is going to be. There's nothing we can do if he tells me where to go, and i honestly don't want to fall out with him. Will be giving it a shot anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

doolox wrote: »
    Unfortunately the "free" market dictates the level of service given to a tenant nowadays.

I looks as if you will have to clean up after the previous scruff.

Lets hope that the Landlord takes cleaning costs out of the deposit he has taken form the previous tenant and lets hope it is enough to cover the often heavy costs of cleaning between lets.

I'd much prefer the German system of unfurnished lets where the tenant provides their own appliances but I can't see Irish regulations allowing for that on one years leases.

There is nothing "free" about the property market in Ireland, nor has there ever been (but it's definitely worse in the last few decades). In fact it is a perfect example of how great free markets are when you compare our property market to examples of free markets.

Also, it is ridiculous to say that the landlord should take the cost of cleaning out of the previous tenant's deposit. Not only is it unethical, it is, thankfully, illegal. Cleaning a property between lets is entirely the responsibility of the landlord and is a standard cost that they factor in to their business plan.

Advertisement