Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment not cleaned before moving in

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

dotsman wrote: »
    Cleaning a property between lets is entirely the responsibility of the landlord and is a standard cost that they factor in to their business plan.

Agreed.

That said a property should be returned as it was rented, e.g. , just for example, if the fridge and oven were clean on renting then they should be returned that way to the landlord on leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

You're absolutely right to expect an apartment to be thoroughly cleaned when moving into it. <mod snip>

I'd be raging if in your situation.

I'm not sure asking for a rental discount is wise though. Best just to ensure to express to the landlord how unhappy you are with the state of the place and insist that he gets it cleaned as promised.

As others have mentioned staying in s hotel was off your own bat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Shurwhynot wrote: »
    I think you are reading too much into the hotel side of things! That was a decision made at the time out of anger to be honest, but i know the area and was in a hotel within 10 minutes. I wasn't going back up to my other rented accommodation for the weekend, I was going home to my parents house in a different part of the country again.

I've been renting since i was 18, and I'm now 31, and have never had to move into a dirty apartment/house in my life, even through my college years. I genuinely think it's outrageous that someone could rent out an apartment and not check that it's clean first.

I think this is a key post. You say yourself you moved to a hotel out of anger so it was perhaps an over-reaction.

I completely get why you're annoyed but just coming from the perspective of a LL, if he has said he'll sort it out today then I wouldn't go any further over it. You're just setting yourself for a bad relationship from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

....... wrote: »

No we haven't moved stuff in yet, we will be doing that this weekend and meeting the LL again then as well.

When I first went into the apartment, it was still being lived in. With regard a mutual inspection, I guess with past history of never having any similar issues, I just expected the place to be clean. Lesson learned I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

our apartment was very dirty/sticky (who ever lived here before cooked like 5 times a day)
    we scrubbed for days, and had to was all the curtains, had to get LL to professionally wash the carpet as it was dirty /smelly, brown :(

it wasn't even painted.
    But the market is so bad, they know they can rent anything.

we would have to put a lot off effort to leave is as dirty as we got it :S

we were ringing them to arrange for paint job and in the end we asked just for the paint itself and done it ourselves

our LL is a big company if that makes an difference

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭axcel

I think it's perfectly fair to expect the apartment to be cleaned to a certain standard. And I can completely understand staying in a hotel if you wanted to, that's your prerogative and turning up to a new apartment late in the day when your tired to find it's not in a fit state, you've been caught unawares and have no cleaning stuff with you and it's a strangers dirt....yuck (I'm just imagining this as myself btw :p) I'd want to get straight out of there. But anyway hotel is separate thing as you've said yourself and I think no point saying that to the landlord as probably have the opposite effect. But I would say lets push the date back because we couldn't move in. You have the pictures to prove it sent at the time you were meant to be moving in. He sounds reasonably enough, though probably too lax for not checking it himself, no harm asking anyway.
    I'd always thought there was an onus on the tenant to leave the apartment in a fit state. But then I would put the responsibility on the landlord to ensure it was done or he'd have to sort it himself. Not professional cleaned altho if stated in the lease then it must be. Anywho hope it goes well.

Also just to add I don't think tenants or landlords should accept certain behaviours. I know there are nightmare types of each and unfortunately many people take the piss if they can but just because it's a landlords market or if it was a tenants market, we're all entitled to expect a certain standard when providing or paying for a service. I think this is a lesson for that landlord too, always check on a tenant when moving out and moving in.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've always pre-cleaned my rentals when I moved in. Anyone I've known or lived with has done similar. That way I know that the cloth used to scrub the toilet seat isn't the same one that was used on the fridge and that a proper disinfectant was used.

I've always cleaned when I left too, but assume the new tenants will also give it a once-over for their own peace of mind. I'd expect rubbish or broken furniture to be removed but don't think I'd decamp to a hotel until its done - especially over a long weekend when the LL cant go to the dump with stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

What strikes me the most about this is that fact the LL did not even take a look at that the place in between lets. I know that the rental market in Ireland is way below standard when you look to countries where renting has been the norm for a long time, but this still strikes me as completely off the wall?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

skallywag wrote: »
    What strikes me the most about this is that fact the LL did not even take a look at that the place in between lets. I know that the rental market in Ireland is way below standard when you look to countries where renting has been the norm for a long time, but this still strikes me as completely off the wall?

I'd wager he did and thought that he'd not bother to put himself out unless a fuss was made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

Similar thing happend me and friend before. Rang Landlord and said it would be the weekend before he could get down, this was a Monday. He said he and the wife wife will clean it but thought the other tenants would leave it in good nick. I sent him on pictures. Said I'd do it myself if he knocked 100 off next months rent for the cleaning supplies and the work. He gladly said yes. Apartment was in good
    nick otherwise.

Took me and my friend around 5 hours each to properly clean it.

We were just delighted we got a decent place instead of having to commute

Advertisement