Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep getting Tesco popups on my phone.. help!

• 18-04-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

In the past few weeks I've been getting non stop pop ups when I went on one particular App on my phone. It is a very reputable app so I knew it wasn't something from it.
    Then last night it seemed to have gotten worse where it would happen on another App and then when I would do random searches on Google on my phone!! What can I do? I've searched through my App Manager and everything in it looks normal , i've done a security check on my phone and nothing shows up. I'm at my wits end with this!!

The pop up is one of those ''Congrats you have won a tesco voucher."!! Then the phone vibrates non stop until I press Leave Page... Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this virus??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Have you tried Malware bytes? Install this and scan it and see if it shows up with the culprit is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I used to have a problem with a tesco pop up too, ended up the malware was on the router and only happened when in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Blndbby wrote: »
    In the past few weeks I've been getting non stop pop ups when I went on one particular App on my phone. It is a very reputable app so I knew it wasn't something from it.
    Then last night it seemed to have gotten worse where it would happen on another App and then when I would do random searches on Google on my phone!! What can I do? I've searched through my App Manager and everything in it looks normal , i've done a security check on my phone and nothing shows up. I'm at my wits end with this!!

The pop up is one of those ''Congrats you have won a tesco voucher."!! Then the phone vibrates non stop until I press Leave Page... Any thoughts on how I can get rid of this virus??

clear the browser cache and tell me if it happens again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Chances are the phone has got some kind of malware or ransomware installed....

Have you ever had any dodgy apps installed?

M*dbro or one of the other one's?

Are you not in a position to backup and factory reset the device?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Blndbby

I've tried all the above and nothing is coming up for me to indicate something dodgy is wrong. It is looking as if I will have to give the factory reset a try ....which is a major pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I've tried all the above and nothing is coming up for me to indicate something dodgy is wrong. It is looking as if I will have to give the factory reset a try ....which is a major pain!

Definitely happening over 4g as well as when connected to a specific router?

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Definitely happening over 4g as well as when connected to a specific router?

It is unfortunately:mad::mad:,

Hm.

Some more info is required -

Does the pop-up happen on your home screen?

Does it happen when you are browsing sites?

Is it a push notification?

Hm.

Some more info is required -

Does the pop-up happen on your home screen?

Does it happen when you are browsing sites?

Is it a push notification?

No they only happen when I am in apps I have & when I am sometimes searching the Internet using Google.
    I've attached a screepshot of what comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Liberal_irony

No they only happen when I am in apps I have & when I am sometimes searching the Internet using Google.
    I've attached a screepshot of what comes up.

I keep getting the same one whenever I try to read articles on fb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Gillian72

Yep, I've got the very same problem...
    The first time that it happened was when I opened a newspaper article on FB.
    Now that Tesco advert keeps popping up, and phone vibrates like crazy.
    I did an anti malware scan, & anti virus, but nothing showed up.
    It's a real head wrecker.

***EDIT***
    I just found this, it seems it's happening to loads of people...
    http://www.derrydaily.net/2016/02/19/police-warning-over-winning-tesco-voucher-text-messages-scam/

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Gillian72

I cleared browsing history, etc, but it's still happening.
    It mainly happens when I'm using the FB app. When I open an article, it sets the Tesco vibrating ad off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Gillian72 wrote: »
    I cleared browsing history, etc, but it's still happening.
    It mainly happens when I'm using the FB app. When I open an article, it sets the Tesco vibrating ad off...

Check in your facebook account if you have given some permission to any app you dont recognize.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mushishi

Yea, I started getting this too - try uninstalling all affected apps and, once cleared, re-install
    So far so good *fingers crossed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭thomasj

i have got this message a bit recently but only when i visited a particular website.

its that same website every time that i got the message and in chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aoifelp

This is also happening to me! In both the chrome and Facebook app on my phone. Has anyone found a solution yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

This is happening to me and my bf too.. Haven't found a solution yet. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

FrostyJim wrote: »

I done this scan as I'm getting the same pop ups and this is what I got

DANNY2014 wrote: »

Are you using some sort of theme to get those battery/time icons? If so, try uninstalling that. It'll be some app that is on your phone doing it.

• Advertisement

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Are you using some sort of theme to get those battery/time icons? If so, try uninstalling that. It'll be some app that is on your phone doing it.

I was on tesco mobile if that had anything to do with it and had there SIM tool kit app... Just using the stock themes that came on the phone... Like other posters have said I'm getting these popups from chrome, Facebook etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

ironically i downloaded stubborn trojan killer...
    2yowlly.png

phill106 wrote: »
    ironically i downloaded stubborn trojan killer...
    2yowlly.png

You got the same as myself a few posts up

Does anybody that get these popups connect to Tesco WiFi when in stores??? Would it have anything to do with the pop-ups???

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,929 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have you tried deleting your Facebook browsing data and also resetting your Google advertising ID? I still get them the odd time, but every time I do I follow those steps and now I only get it once a week or less.

It's certain articles on Facebook that trigger it for me.

I'd also stop using the chrome browser because I was getting pop ups all over my phone with it. Once I disabled chrome and used another browser it mostly stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am getting them too from time to time in the samsung browser. I too have run malwarebytes and other antivirus scans and nothing shows up.

I am not getting any issue on my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

DANNY2014 wrote:

DANNY2014 wrote:
    Does anybody that get these popups connect to Tesco WiFi when in stores??? Would it have anything to do with the pop-ups???

I do actually! Hadn't thought of that..

I do actually! Hadn't thought of that..

Coincidence?????

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Coincidence?????

Of course it is. These ads are not genuine tesco ads. Tesco have nothing to do with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Mushishi

I'm on 3 and never connected to tesco for anything (network, site etc)
    still getting these.
    tried doing a un and re-install of facebook and they still continue.
    I doubt it's an official tesco ad as it feels really spammy and intrusive - I'm sure it
    contravenes some sanctioned ad rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I've had this issue occurring recently too. Mainly while on 4g with 3.

I have run the Malwarebytes scan and had a look through my applications list and nothing appears out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I seem to get them every time I go on android forums.com on my phone but if I go via the laptop, never get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Linlu84

Hi I've been getting these too for few weeks. I got brand new phone yesterday but just connected through Wi-Fi and still getting it!! I don't have fb app either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Try using Brave browser, see if that sorts the problem!

Advertisement