Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Portable Electric Fence?

Options
  • 18-04-2017 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Our old Gallagher went bust there a while ago (don't supposed you can get them fixed?) and need something new. Was at the co-op today and the Gallagher one (the only one I could see) was €180. Is that about right? Are there other brands I could look at that would do the same job but cheaper?

What about those solar powered ones? There's one of those up in the co-op too (Pel or Pes brand I think). Asked the guy there about them and he said it might get hit by lightning:eek: Would one of them be a non-runner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Firstly, are you sure your own one is goosed? If you have a bad earth you will have no shock.

If it is gone, I would highly recommend upgrading to a solar one. What size yiu need will depend on the length of fence you want to power. The sun will keep the battery charged for the grazing season and they have a great rattle off them comparable to a mains unit.

If you bring them in every autumn and protect the battery from frost and charge it, you will get years out of the battery, so no extra expense after initial purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sent my portable Gallagher fencer to Gallagher in Cork for repair a while back. Didn't cost a fortune either. Address here;

https://www.gallagherireland.com/contact_us.aspx

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If only there was somewhere to repair them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mooooo wrote: »
    If only there was somewhere to repair them
    Ha ha. My posts weren't registering for some reason, then all 5 showed together. :D

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

Some excellent posts. Both wires on it have been chewed on by something but were working til recently. I honestly thought if you asked about repairing one they'd laugh you out the door, but now that I hear Gallagher themselves do it I think that's what we'll do. As for winter storage we usually need it then, to fence off a very steep bit of wood.

Thanks lads and lassies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭Sami23

Muckit wrote: »

I would highly recommend upgrading to a solar one. What size yiu need will depend on the length of fence you want to power. The sun will keep the battery charged for the grazing season and they have a great rattle off them comparable to a mains unit.

If you bring them in every autumn and protect the battery from frost and charge it, you will get years out of the battery, so no extra expense after initial purchase.

What brand would you recommend and size. I'd be using it to power a couple of kms at a time only ?

Do they come with batteries in them ?
    Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Sami23 wrote: »
    What brand would you recommend and size. I'd be using it to power a couple of kms at a time only ?

Do they come with batteries in them ?
    Tia

Well all I can tell you is that I have a lacme with the last 5 years or so and find it an excellent fencer. That said, Gallagher and Pel are good brands too but I have no experience of their fencers. Not sure if Elephant do a solar version, have a mains one of those. But manufacturers are always updating models and specs, so my model being 5 years old would most likely have been replaced with a newer more modern version.

Regarding the size, walk the length of fences you want to power and then do your research or ask the sales lad which one you need. They usually all come with a deep cycle battery included.

To get the best out of them, and for security, I'd advise to find a good central location and buy or get a secure box made for it (theft) and drive a good earth or series of earths. This thing of moving a fencer around is hardship and the earth bar on them is only ever 12-18" long at most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

There's some lad in or around swans cross in monaghan I've heard builds fencers to spec. They are supposed to be the rolls Royce of fencers. If Conor comes on he might know or anyone else around monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 manpaq

Definitely agree with Muckit regarding the LACME. Bought one fair while back and works a charm. Guy I bought it from said he never had to take one back. Thought it was the usual sales talk at the time but in fairness Id say he was right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Attie

Who2 wrote: »
    There's some lad in or around swans cross in monaghan I've heard builds fencers to spec. They are supposed to be the rolls Royce of fencers. If Conor comes on he might know or anyone else around monaghan.

Who got a mains electric fence made with these people 25 year ago still going strong and has a kick like a jack donkey being castrated.
    There name is McCalster , from Ballybay turn right at Swans Cross go about a mile they live up to the right of the R188 you can ask around.
    Hope is of help attie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Who2

Attie wrote: »
    Who got a mains electric fence made with these people 25 year ago still going strong anot has a kick like a jack donkey being castrated.
    There name is McCalster , from Ballybay turn right at Swans Cross go about a mile they live up to the right of the R188 you can ask around.
    Hope is of help attie.
    I bought a solar power battery charger in aldi today for 19.99. It has to be worth a try on the battery fencers. It'll be hard to tell if it's working right but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

I have a Green Cheta 12v battery fencer for 15 years. Stopped working , a daughter in law took it to Ballon . They fixed it while she waited , and put a new set of leads on it , which had got chewed by a beast . All Free of charge. Brilliant service.
    I needed a 2 nd battery fencer 3 years ago for another piece of land. They hadn't a Green Cheta in stock in Glanbia on the day. They had a PEL 403 , I think. Not 100% sure on number. It can be worked by mains , using a plug in transformer ,by 12 v battery , or can be attached to a pel solar panel.
    I have only used it with a battery. I find it needs plenty of power, e.g. , a good 643 battery. No use with a middling petrol car battery. A good battery , and it more like a kick of a mule, than a donkey. The Cheta wouldn't have the same rap out of it , but quite acceptable for maybe a smaller area than the PEL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Attie wrote: »
    Who got a mains electric fence made with these people 25 year ago still going strong and has a kick like a jack donkey being castrated.
    Hope is of help attie.

Name is gilmore. Mervyn gilmore. Have number if needed or can be got in phone book. His brother runs an engineering shed next door

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

He's Leslie Gilmour.Mervyn may have been name of his late father. Have phone number also if required

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone any experience of Gallagher battery fencers A40 model? Need one ASAP as a backup to my mains that is down at minute due to lots of trees in line .

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

I have a few pel. One mains one needed new capacitors and it cost an absolute fortune to fix. The only fencer I would consider buying now is a cheta. Irish made and decent people to deal with if there is a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Cheetah are the best value, and are make a good fencer. The 9v-12v Cheetah Cub Battery fencer is ideal for strip grazing or fencing off a short run of up to 2klm. Can be got for less than €125 inc battery if you shop about.

I've yet to find a good battery fencer that can give off a strong bang beyond a 2klm run, yes they'll have a tick but unless cattle are trained to the fence they'd soon be going through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭893bet

The 0.5 j shock rite solar fencer is fantastic since I got it. Very happy with it. Relatively short runs I have been using it on. Battery fencers are a pain in the arse as they enevitably let you down when battery gets weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭emaherx

Been using Voss fencers here for the past 6 years and don't think you'll beat them for value. I guess they'll need a few more years to really prove themselves for reliability but no issues so far.

https://www.weidezaun.info/weidezaun/weidezaungeraete/weidezaungeraete-12-v.html

They go well beyond strip grazing with 12V and mains connection options. I've 3 connected to 12V batteries and solar panels keeping in stock on 20+ Acre blocks with perimeters fenced along with internal paddocks an no issues keeping in stock.

I've 2 of the green energy models 2J 15Km and 1 Helios 4 3.2J 24Km

I also bought one of the solar enclosures with one of the green energy models the other 2 are just connected to larger Solar Panels bought of amazon which also power solar water pumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Advertisement
Advertisement