Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying Mountainbiking

Options
  • 18-04-2017 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm not really playing sports anymore and looking for a new hobby other than running and cycling to/from work..
    Mountainbiking looks fun and seen the summer is approaching, I think it could be a good option. I would like to try it out without spending a load of money on a bike/gear etc and then realising its not for me..
    I'm based in Dublin. Are there any paid tours I can join that provide a bike and the gear etc etc..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

Check these guys out- http://www.biking.ie/index.php

They should have everything you need, I assume you have your own helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Head to Ticknock MTB trails, the guys at biking.ie hire out bikes, helmets and protective knee pads I believe, so check out there website

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

Thanks for the input. Biking.ie looks like what I'm after.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Bike park ireland in roscrea wouldn't be a bad place to start either

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭C3PO

benneca1 wrote: »

Couldn't agree with that - even the easiest trails are far too technical for a beginner IMHO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

If it's an organised tour you're after I'd head down to Ballinastoe. There's a lad down there that brings organised trips out on the trails and a bit further off them.

It'll give you a great intro into both sides. Trail parks are great craic but sometimes it's more fun just heading out on some fire roads and finding your own trails. You should note though that this can often lead to a 2 hour bike ride turning into a 3-4 hour bike ride particularly if you're like me and end up caught between a bog and a reed bed with acreage. Loads of hike a bike that day :(

As said previous they'll provide the whole lot for you and put on a lunch aswell afaik.

Bike park Ireland while an excellent park is probably a little to advanced but if you managed to find it on a quiet day you might be ok. Being able to jump off and look at the line before you head down is very useful but wouldn't be possible on busy weekend as lads will be coming at you thick and fast.

No shame in jumping off and walking an obstacle you'll get a bit of grief from your mates but better that than an unplanned hospital visit.

Ballyhoura has a nice few beginner loops also if you want to travel a bit further and Northern Ireland has some great places that are very well set up. Davagh forest is a great trail centre if you're ever up that direction.

Good luck and enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

C3PO wrote: »
    Couldn't agree with that - even the easiest trails are far too technical for a beginner IMHO!

And I couldn't agree with that! I went with my girlfriend (who rarely cycles at all) and she managed the green trail no bother and even had a couple of goes at the blue. I also brought a group of non biker friends and by the end of the half day they were all going down the red trail. One of them was even getting a decent amount of air :eek:

I second biking.ie though. Dunno if they still do them, but I started off mountain biking by doing one of their beginner spins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Don't mind C3PO, he gets flustered at the sight of a rock garden! ;):D

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Don't mind C3PO, he gets flustered at the sight of a rock garden! ;):D

Nasty pointy things!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

C3PO wrote: »

God almighty if you cant handle the green you'd need to think about another sport.

• Advertisement

God almighty if you cant handle the green you'd need to think about another sport.

I have never tried the Green but I still think people underestimate how daunting even small technical features can be to beginners!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I started at Ballinastoe it's a really great place, not too technical especially if you stick to just the bottom half of the trails ( e.g. stay away from the expressway till you get a feel for it.) You can do a couple of loops of the bottom half to build confidence.
    Good luck
    You'll love it . It's a great sport.

Advertisement