Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 UK General Election - 8th June

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

The sheer irony for the Tories to end the election campaign which they spent for the most part slaughtering Jeremy Corbyn for his alleged links to former N.Irish terrorists by going into coalition with a party founded by former N.Irish terrorists 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,764 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So the Tories just ignore what the DUP stand for as long as they don't speak out loud about it?

Lovely politics there.

Works with Saudi Arabia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

NIMAN wrote: »
    No Irish nationalist voice in Westminster.

That's worrying at a time when borders are being discussed.

DUP have gained the upper hand in the north. They have actual power now.

I don't think they want a Hard Border.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I can't see it being an issue. Sure up until 1974, the UUP was under the conservative whip in Westminster.
    That's over forty years ago!

How many political parties have come and gone since then? The UUP are pretty much gone as a political force as it is.

devnull wrote: »
    Confidence and Supply is what is being mooted on Sky News.

What does this infer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

What does this infer?
    Not part of the government, but support it in no-confidence motions and other important votes. A bit like what FF are doing in the Dail at the moment.

seamus wrote: »
    Worth noting that the DUP going in as the junior partner / minority partner are pretty much guaranteed to take a hammering at the next elections - council, assembly and general.

SF might be looking the other way in the expectation that they'll become the majority party in NI politics in the coming months.

No. RHI election results disproves this. A lot of hardcore DUP voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

For someone to be asked by the queen to form a government, the Queen has to be happy that they have the "Confidence of the House". That, in theory, could be anyone that the House of Commons is happy to be prime minister. With Party politics, it is taken as a given that the winning party's leader therefore has that confidence.

In this case, the DUP have already given their vote of confidence, so Theresa May has the confidence of the House and the Queen will ask her to form a government.

I can't see it being an issue. Sure up until 1974, the UUP was under the conservative whip in Westminster.

The UUP is a whole different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Almost certainly not. DUP and SF have very strong core votes split along cultural/ethnic lines.
    True, but money trumps everything. People who have lost money feel personally betrayed.

FF collapsed the Irish economy and you saw (hundreds of) thousands of die-hard FF voters switch sides.

If the DUP oversee the establishment of a hard border within the Republic, the resultant damage to NI exports will destroy them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Worth noting that the DUP going in as the junior partner / minority partner are pretty much guaranteed to take a hammering at the next elections - council, assembly and general.

SF might be looking the other way in the expectation that they'll become the majority party in NI politics in the coming months.

As far as the UK voters are concerned though the DUP may as well not exist. Nobody knows or cares who they are anywhere outside of NI. The Conservatives will take all the blame for everything that goes wrong themselves, won't be like with the LibDems where they could pass the blame onto the smaller party who then took a hammering in the 2015 election nationally.

As far as the rest of the UK is concerned it will be the Conservatives in government on their own, with some people with indecipherable accents occasionally appearing on the news a bit more than they used to for the last couple of decades.

True, but money trumps everything.

FF collapsed the Irish economy and you saw thousands of die-hard FF voters switch sides.

If the DUP oversee the establishment of a hard border within the Republic, the resultant damage to NI exports will destroy them.

Why do you think a hard border will destroy exports? IDK, but I would hazard a guess that a large portion of exports go to the UK and the South. A hard border will only result in some additional admin and transit times. Hardly an insurmountable hurdle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why do you think a hard border will destroy exports? IDK, but I would hazard a guess that a large portion of exports go to the UK and the South. A hard border will only result in some additional admin and transit times. Hardly an insurmountable hurdle

Import taxes won't help either like

Of course they won't help, but what is the alternative? It will have a negative effect, no doubt, but it won't destroy them.

NI is mainly a public sector economy anyway, massively subsidised by Britain. If anything, that will now increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Leroy42 wrote: »

Levies and duties will be the reason for a hard border. That will impact trade.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where did Varadkar demonise people of the north?

I'm not a member of fine gael, so no point in labelling me. I am a fan of the republic of Ireland though.

It's the new narrative from a certain section lately, try blacken him by labelling him as a Thatcherite partionist.

Interesting to hear earlier someone from the unionist side of society welcoming Varadkars recent comments on how to approach this whole mess as a group, they don't seem to hold a grudge against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A hammering? Not in norn iron

Jayop wrote: »
    Levies and duties will be the reason for a hard border. That will impact trade.

Absolutely correct, but the point is by how much. I was replying to a poster that said it would destroy NI, but would it?

If it is trade with the Uk then it makes no difference. If its trade with EU then maybe the change in Sterling will offset some or all of the costs.

Trade is not going to stop between Irl and NI simply because of a border

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's the new narrative from a certain section lately, try blacken him by labelling him as a Thatcherite partionist.

Interesting to hear earlier someone from the unionist side of society welcoming Varadkars recent comments on how to approach this whole mess as a group, they don't seem to hold a grudge against him.

Part one of post - Varadkar is being wrongly labeled a partitionist by people trying to blacken him.

Part two of post - Unionists welcome comments by Varadkar.

You don't see how the two could contradict each other?

Partionist tweet he made long before he was in charge so this accusation isn't the "new narrative"

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/status/702523651082551298

Read the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

True, but money trumps everything. People who have lost money feel personally betrayed.

FF collapsed the Irish economy and you saw (hundreds of) thousands of die-hard FF voters switch sides.

Agreed, but the same logic applies to Sinn Fein. They are standing idly wringing their hands and crying for someone else to do something while they refuse to go into government in Dublin, refuse to elect Arlene Foster and refuse to take their seats in London. All very well keeping their election promises, but if the country suffers as a result, they will suffer too.

Partionist tweet he made long before he was in charge so this accusation isn't the "new narrative"

https://twitter.com/campaignforleo/status/702523651082551298

Read the replies.

I wouldn't call that a partitionist tweet. All he is doing there is pointing out the economic mess that is West Belfast and the fact that it's MPs have done little or nothing to alleviate it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I've just heard MayBot's speech.

Looks like her programmer has loaded the wrong speech into her, it was almost like she had a massive majority apart from the mentions of the DUP.

It's the MayBot in a Nutshell, completely detached from reality and the public, just like the campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

May seems to be in complete denial over what has just happened. The opposition benches are going to rip her apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

May seems to be in complete denial over what has just happened. The opposition benches are going to have a field day with her.

It could all come apart very quickly.

Hard to see it lasting the summer. She has no legitimacy as leader anymore - the electorate basically gave her the two fingers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So will one of the DUP MPs get a Ministerial position in return for their support I wonder?

blanch152 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call that a partitionist tweet. All he is doing there is pointing out the economic mess that is West Belfast and the fact that it's MPs have done little or nothing to alleviate it.

lol, yeah your impartiality in this matter would make your view totally independent.

So will one of the DUP MPs get a Ministerial position in return for their support I wonder?

Nope, it's not a classic coalition. No cabinet posts.

They may demand a seat at the brexit table though. That'll go great.

• Advertisement

Sky News: Donald Tusk congratulates Theresa May.

Lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Sky News: Donald Tusk congratulates Theresa May.

Lol!

Well you can hardly expect him to point and laugh :D.

May seems to be in complete denial over what has just happened. The opposition benches are going to rip her apart.

She's been in denial for the whole campaign, that's why she lost so many seats.

She seemed to be living in a fantasy world and still is.

Part one of post - Varadkar is being wrongly labeled a partitionist by people trying to blacken him.

Part two of post - Unionists welcome comments by Varadkar.

You don't see how the two could contradict each other?

Ask the ones doing the labelling.

I have never seen social media exploding in the way it has since this announcement.

Post and tweet after one another explaining who the DUP really are.
    I wonder how much of it is impacting in Britain, if it's getting the traction it is here this neat little arrangement could all go pear shaped for the Tories yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

lol, yeah your impartiality in this matter would make your view totally independent.

Likewise you :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I have never seen social media exploding in the way it has since this announcement.

I wonder how much of it is impacting in Britain, if it's getting the traction it is here this neat little arrangement could all go pear shaped for the Tories yet.

Goes to highlight a wider problem of general ignorance in Britain towards NI.

Ask the ones doing the labelling.
    Likewise you :confused:

Hang on, I was responding to this specific claim...

I said read the comments. They go back almost a year and a half ago and he was being called a partitionist then. This isn't a new accusation or something just thought of since he got the FG leadership. My post was proving that that accusation has been around a long time.

Whether you want to accept that him putting down areas of the north for his own political gain is in fact partitionist behavior is a whole other argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Hard to see it lasting the summer. She has no legitimacy as leader anymore - the electorate basically gave her the two fingers.

So who has them, if she hasn't?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: Normal service has been resumed. If we could be done with the name calling, one-liners, digs and other nonsense I would be grateful.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Social media is a very difficult medium to analyse. Most of the time, an individual is fed news stories, tweets and posts that align with their pre-existing views.

One person's explosive day on Twitter is another user's quiet day.

Adam Boulton has just broke on Sky News that there will be no cabinet reshuffle or announcements today from the Tories despite the fact it was said that it would happen earlier this afternoon.

Now whispers that the Tory party are not giving May enough support in order to announce a new cabinet and are making demands and conditions for their continued support for their leader.

May appears that already she is coming under severe pressure from her own wafer thin majority.

Social media is a very difficult medium to analyse. Most of the time, an individual is fed news stories, tweets and posts that align with their pre-existing views.

That is just it, I don't express any political views on FB or Twitter.

I would be interested in other posters experiences.
    They are coming from people who would not normally be posting political stuff.
    Strong element of revulsion.

Whether you want to accept that him putting down areas of the north for his own political gain is in fact partitionist behavior is a whole other argument.

Weren't they official stats he posted? And it's certainly not partionist. Are you going to call everyone who say parts of the north are ****holes partionists?

Not really. On twitter if you're following hashtags like #GE17 or today #DUP you're seeing what everyone is posting, not just people who you follow. If you only look at your own time line then it's an echo chamber.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=news&q=%23DUP&src=tyah

That's the actual reaction to the DUP news from all over twitter, but just what someone wants to see.

Weren't they official stats he posted? And it's certainly not partionist. Are you going to call everyone who say parts of the north are ****holes partionists?

If they're doing it purely for selfish political gains then yes.

When someone who's supposed to be a leader of all the people of Ireland posts something like that without any acceptance of the circumstances that led up to that for his own gain then yes, he's an absolute...........

As mentioned, people's eyes on the 'mainland' are certainly being opened​ to the DUP if Twitter is anything to go by.

And I'm basing this on a variety of GE tags as opposed to anyone who I may be following

As mentioned, people's eyes on the 'mainland' are certainly being opened​ to the DUP if Twitter is anything to go by.

And I'm basing this on a variety of GE tags as opposed to anyone who I may be following

Clearly the 'new alliance' is making a few Tories nervous if Adam Boulton is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Theresa May's arrogance should match up well with the DUP. She has just made one of the greatest political cock ups in tory history-and that's saying something-and yet came out at lunchtime with a 'now lets's get to work' speech as if she hadn't royally f****d up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

And besides, fuk the hundreds of thousands of your fellow citizens, right? Typical.

We don't all feel like that, for what it's worth.

Advertisement