Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc lagging-PSU too small?

Options
  • 18-04-2017 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭

Ive a self-build with one ssd and internal drive.
    If I put another ssd in the pc lags badly, think the same for a usb 3 card with two drives.

I have a 450w PSU, I am wondering would I need a bigger PSU? The motherboard is about two years old so not that and ive three fans and have tried different ways of having the air flow.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Drives only use 5-10W each, so the problem can't be your PSU.

Is Windows installed on the SSD?
    What programs do you notice are lagging?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Drives only use 5-10W each, so the problem can't be your PSU.

Is Windows installed on the SSD?
    What programs do you notice are lagging?

Yes windows on ssd, newish samsung one. Fresh 7 install the other day trying to do a windows repair to see if would help

I played a video in MPC and computer locked up, open about 14 tabs in chrome the same. Randomly get a lot of non responding/crashes

2le5kbs.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No video driver installed? No way your monitors are that old (1024x768). Would expect browser to run like **** with no video accel.

srsly78 wrote: »
    No video driver installed? No way your monitors are that old (1024x768). Would expect browser to run like **** with no video accel.

Using a old dell monitor from 2007 with motherboard graphics, says in device manager drivers are all ok

25tgmq8.png

I have a HDMI i sometimes use to connect to TV and have to have duplicated as on opposite sides of room so dragging between desktop/screens is hard

• Advertisement

Definitely not ok, 1024x768 is too low. What is native res for those?

Do you actually use that computer at such a low resolution?

This is a discrete gpu right? Why not plug screens into it?

If you have integrated gpu as well where is driver for it?

Definitely not ok, 1024x768 is too low. What is native res for those?

Do you actually use that computer at such a low resolution?

9uaw06.png

Yes I use it almost only to browse download etc,cheap mediabox to watch stuff on TV, I don't think it will go higher?

Its just a VGA/HDMI ports on the mother board, thought about a card, but then didnt want to chance 2nd hand or pay silly money to do what I do

Plug monitors into graphics card and try again. Don't plug into "motherboard".

This is not normal at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ok I take it back, it IS a 1024x768 monitor! This means it's useless for a mediabox :D

Donate to museum and buy a new one.

Now, your TV can't be that old surely? Try unplug monitor and turn resolution up.

What is exact model of tv?

Also please detail connection method of monitors: are you connecting them to your graphics card or not?

• Advertisement

Sorry, I don’t have graphics card just motherboard. I don’t watch anything on TV from pc, well odd streaming thing as Wi-Fi is crap on the MXQ box

Tried 75 and Mpc didn’t like it, pc started to lag and had to force close MPC

Make sure motherboard has latest bios, and set SSDs to AHCI mode. Make sure the (nonexistent) dvd isn't set to AHCI.

About the other stuff: Your monitor is dragging your tv resolution down I think (coz duplicate mode). Everything you watch is in degraded quality!

Make sure motherboard has latest bios, and set SSDs to AHCI mode. Make sure the (nonexistent) dvd isn't set to AHCI.

Done all that thanks.

I have non SSD drive on the next sata connect row and OS SSD on number one of the first row

Advertisement