Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi- Ambiano Espresso Maker?

• 18-04-2017 2:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

Is it worth it? https://www.aldi.ie/ambiano-champagne-espresso-maker/p/094036151344501

I'm using an Aeropress and hand grinder (HARIO) at the moment

Or, something else? I have around 300 euro to spend on a coffee machine. I know the grinder is just as important but I thought my hand grinder would keep going while I saved for a good one.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Aeropress + hario grinder will give you better coffee than that machine.

If you have €300 to spend then I would keep an eye on Adverts/DoneDeal/eBay/etc. for a Gaggia Classic / Rancilio Silvia / similar entry level espresso machine.

If you keep your eyes peeled eventually someone will sell off a decent set-up including a grinder which you could snag for <€300.

The above machine would be a poor stop-gap in my opinion. Your current hario + aeropress will give you decent coffee for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I wouldn't mind buying new. How about this site or do you recommend a better one. https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/products/gaggia-classic-espresso-ri8161-40

I wouldn't mind buying new. How about this site or do you recommend a better one. https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/products/gaggia-classic-espresso-ri8161-40

Looks fine but if your budget is €300 you would be better off with your current setup if taste is most important. Espresso machine will probably be more fun but you won't get the results you would like without something better than a hand grinder. By all means though go for it, worst case scenario you would need to get yourself another present :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

That new model Gaggia Classic , one without 3 way solenoid valve. ( They changed model 2 years ago) Every commercial espresso machine got 3 way valve .One reason why Gaggia Classic used to be so popular was the 3 way solenoid valve.
    Rancilio Silvia probably is the cheapest option left for the new decent machine .
    Used set ( old type Gaggia + grinder / Rancilio + Grinder) would be the right way to go if budget limited to €300 IMO

Thanks for the help,

Is the grinder the key to a good cup of coffee? Would I be better off spending the 300 on a good grinder and using the Aeropress. Then saving up for a good coffee machine?

Also, where would you recommend I buy the grinder and or a Rancilio new?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help,

Is the grinder the key to a good cup of coffee? Would I be better off spending the 300 on a good grinder and using the Aeropress. Then saving up for a good coffee machine?

Also, where would you recommend I buy the grinder and or a Rancilio new?

Grinder is key to a good cup of espresso. Grinder is much less important for Aeropress and other methods as the grind is far more forgiving and generally a coarse grind is required; for espresso you need a fine grind. Hand grinder + Aeropress will give you good coffee, in fact it's probably the most cost-efficient way to get really good coffee (after a V60 maybe in terms of cost but you're talking about a few ?).

For ?300 I would just keep an eye out for someone offloading a 2nd hand grinder and espresso machine together as when buying new will get you an espresso machine or a grinder but not both so it's a bit pointless.

I just ran a search on adverts and saw a Gaggia MDF grinder and a seperate ad for a Gaggia Classic, ?270 if you meet asking price on each or, knowing adverts, probably about ?220 for the lot.

I bought all my gear second-hand so not in a position to advise on which sites are good for buying new to be honest, hopefully someone else can help here.

I took your advice and got all my stuff second hand. I went 90 euros over the 300 but, I think I did well. I bought the Coffee machine first and tried to get by with the hand grinder. But that was a disaster trying to dial in the correct grind. The Rancilio grinder came up in the adverts over the weekend so I grabbed it. Thanks again for all your advice.
    KmkJ2lL.jpg

I took your advice and got all my stuff second hand. I went 90 euros over the 300 but, I think I did well. I bought the Coffee machine first and tried to get by with the hand grinder. But that was a disaster trying to dial in the correct grind. The Rancilio grinder can up in the adverts over the weekend so I grabbed it. Thanks again for all your advice.
    KmkJ2lL.jpg

Nice one! Yeah the hand grinder wouldn't cut it really for espresso, the Rancilio one will do the trick for you.

The outlay initially is quite large for espresso but the decent machines and grinders basically run forever with very little maintenance. A small price to pay for nice coffee :D

Advertisement