Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

constitution sq or John hearne sq

Options
  • 18-04-2017 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

See in local papers area between bishops palace and Christ church cathedral to be named...I thought it was called bishops palace square...anyway, constitution square discussed or else John Hearne sq (who wrote the constitution lived near by on William street, also first ambassador to U.S.).I'd go with constitution square as straight away there is a connection where a person's name could be anything which most people won't have clue about.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Max Powers wrote: »
    I'd go with constitution square as straight away there is a connection where a person's name could be anything which most people won't have clue about.

As in "Didn't he used to sell hardware down on the Quay?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

JohnC. wrote: »
    As in "Didn't he used to sell hardware down on the Quay?"

Don't know if a relation or if our current SF councillor John Hearne relation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Personally, I think John Hearne Square sounds better than Constitution Square. With a plaque telling his story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

BBM77 wrote: »
    Personally, I think John Hearne Square sounds better than Constitution Square. With a plaque telling his story.

A Dub who found his way into Waterford and ye want to name a square after him?
    Matt Talbot or TF Meagher would be more suitable candidates!

A Dub who found his way into Waterford and ye want to name a square after him?
    Matt Talbot or TF Meagher would be more suitable candidates!

What are you talking about he was from Waterford, his father was mayor of Waterford twice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

What are you talking about he was from Waterford, his father was mayor of Waterford twice?

My apologies!!! I was thinking of a different John Hearne! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭Sosurface

Muttonhead Square

On his Wikipedia page, he described as Ireland's Thomas Jefferson,that's a fairly complimentary comparison..he went to Water park school and John's college before doing his lawyer schooling in maynooth and ucd.
    Think that matt talbot suggestion not a good one, quiet fella, never heard of him, quick search says he was born in Dublin and more to point, a lot of people nowadays, wouldn't like some Catholic church idol to be considered.tf Meagher a good one but already has a statue and plaque not far away.

Very good article bbm...it's important we promote/honour these local people and/or events they associated with, its our history.plus makes viewing/walking around the place all the more attractive/interesting.the likes of the famous jazz guitarist...another local legend, died last couple years, should be remembered with plaque or something.the tf Meagher statue is great, also the John Condon one, Luke wadding interesting too, space for more I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

How Do Square :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

John Hearne Square sounds much better.
    It's the 80th anniversary of the Constitution this year, so it's very fitting.

Beautiful square. One of the nicest parts of the city

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

I believe its going to be called Constitution Square

Advertisement