Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Apple Maps is trying to Speak Irish - and failing :(

Options
  • 18-04-2017 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭

Is there any way of making Apple Maps use the English placenames when giving directions around Ireland.

Listening to Siri try pronounce "take the road towards Átha Cliath" was funny for a while (you have to hear it to believe it- comes out like "attadaclith" or something) - but now the gibberish it comes out with is just silly and not helpful when driving. I just want it to say Dublin.

My phone is set to
    Language:English

Navigon is another good app - but has the same problem.

Me never leaving Dublin isn't a solution either as it tries to use the Gaeilge name for every town.

“Roll it back”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Use Google maps. Works beautifully on iOS.

Go in to settings maps and select always use map labels in English

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Use Google maps. Works beautifully on iOS.

Go in to settings maps and select always use map labels in English

Thanks - but- I have tried google maps app - but it tries to speak Irish also- there is no 'maps' menu in my settings - either within the app or in the IPhone settings app for the google maps app. And nothing anywhere that resembles that option.

I have google maps voice search set to english (american) currently. As its the only setting that mentions language...

There must be an option somewhere?? Any ideas?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think you need to look at your settings again.

Firstly go to settings-general-language & region and make sure that Gaelic is not selected anywhere there.

Ensure to look under preferred language order if Irish/Gaelic is there, then remove it.

Also, within settings you will see settings for Google Maps and Maps (for Apple), although they do not have language settings there.

Google Maps also has settings within the app but does not include an Irish language setting so it must be in the phone's general settings.

Finally, it is not Siri that is giving you the voice commands even though the Irish accent voice might be the same voice.

Apple maps has a setting to display all place names in English. This is accessed from the iOS settings icon, not from within the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Apple maps has a setting to display all place names in English. This is accessed from the iOS settings icon, not from within the app.

The problem is not about the display or labels as you have said but the spoken language when giving turn by turn navigation.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    The problem is not about the display or labels as you have said but the spoken language when giving turn by turn navigation.

Actually the spoken language is English and Maps is reading the Irish names in English which makes them sound wrong. Apple doesn't support spoken Irish.

Op, have you tried killing the app and/or powering down the phone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have this issue too. Did op find a solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

mad muffin wrote: »
    I have this issue too. Did op find a solution?

It just went away on its own....
    Now it doesn't try to speak the Irish placenames in English anymore - But it has developed this ludicrous Irish Accent.

"At the Raundabou' take the Thurd Turn"

I think Apple is trolling me :)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

ozmo wrote: »
    It just went away on its own....
    Now it doesn't try to speak the Irish placenames in English anymore - But it has developed this ludicrous Irish Accent.

"At the Raundabou' take the Thurd Turn"

I think Apple is trolling me :)

I wish it would just go away lol. Very annoying.

Advertisement