Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suspicious phone call from Bank Of Ireland

• 18-04-2017 4:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hello BoI

Today I received a phone call from a "Bank of Ireland Representative" to talk to me about a new Banking 365 Service BoI is supposedly offering. The number appeared to be a virtual number (076 - which I initially thought was a mobile prefix) which made me become suspicious of the whole conversation.

The problem is that, to my knowledge, I don't have any active BoI bank accounts. I used to be a director in a company that had a business account with BoI I but resigned from that position around 2 years ago, with the understanding that the business would take my name off the bank account when I left. (There was a change of directors filed with the CRO which reflects that I resigned from the company)

Subsequent to the suspicious phone call I immediately contacted the BoI branch (where the account was opened) to enquire about the current/active members, but the BoI call centre representative would only say that he "could confirm that I am not listed on the account to discuss account details" with me. Expressing my concerns about still being a signatory on the account, he offered no advice as to how to resolve my query. I don't have any bank statements, apart from a business debit card that was issued to me.

I am perplexed by these events - if BoI contacted me (from the 076) because I am still listed on the account as a contact, why was the BoI call centre representative unable to discuss the account details with me?  I have no contact with the other (ex) company directors, nor do I know if they are actually still in Ireland. I am now both concerned and suspicious that the bank account may be used for fraudulent activity.

Do I have any cause for concern? 

Would it be of any use to me to visit the branch where the account is opened, and discuss the situation with them in person? Or should I go the Guards instead?

Please advise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Elaine

Good Afternoon ikoonman, 

Thank you for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie. 

I'm very sorry to hear that a recent call from Bank of Ireland has caused this concern. This number is a genuine number for Bank of Ireland and from may have been a marketing call. From what you've described in your post, you've contacted the relevant team to confirm you're no longer on the business account. I'f you'd like to send us a PM here with your name and contact number we can also send a request to have your details removed from all contact lists to ensure that this does not happen again. 

To send a PM please make sure you have signatures set to display in your control panel settings and then click in the link in my signature below. 

Thanks, 
    Elaine 

Advertisement