Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on calorie intake and exercise routine - Am I on the right track?

• 18-04-2017 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

Hi all,

I'd like some advice for my plan on weight loss & reducing body fat percentage. I'm not sure if I'm headed the right way.

So my plan is to first reduce weight and body fat (calorie deficit) and then build muscle (calorie surplus).

Calorie question

I had found the following calculation posted here:

Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

then multiply by 1.2 if little physical activity, 1.35 for lightly active, 1.5 for moderately active and 1.7 for very active to get the number of calories you need each day to maintain the same weight. for weight loss then subtract up to 500 per day.

Based on this my maintenance is at 2144 calories. At present I am at 1500 calories as opposed to 1644 calories based on the formula above. Would this be pushing my body too far resulting in no added benefits? and would I be also loosing muscle due to the extra calorie deficit?

Exercise plan

1) Abs

2) Legs - squats, lunges, glute ham raise, lying leg curls, leg press, calf raise,

3) Back - deadlift

4) Cardio - Running, rowing, HIIT, ropes, weight sled exercises, farmer's walk, rope pulls,

So I would combine two of the four for each day and I would do a maximum of 5-6 exercises each day. Eg. 3 ab exercises + 3 leg exercises; or 3 cardio + 3 leg . I'm aiming at working out 5 days a week.

I'm presently at 67 kg and would like to drop 3-4 kgs while also reduce body fat %. My macros p/c/f are 40:40:30; BMI is 23.2 and I haven't measured body fat percentage with callipers but according to this website its 21%. Although, this may not be correct.

Am I on the right track with my calorie deficit level, macros and exercise plan for weight loss & reducing body fat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭New Goat

1500 calories is quite low, are you taking some multivitamins to top up your micronutrient intake?

If you find yourself a bit peckish but not too hungry, the scales is not going up and your clothes are perhaps a bit looser than your probably on the right track.

But if your in a 600cal deficit for a long time you'll need to take a break and bring your body back to maintenance for a while. As being in a deficit places stress on the body especially for a long time. So I've been reading anyway and also had the same experience

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Otis_taylor2

I'm taking omega3's and vitamine C and E tablets but not multivitamins.

I know what you mean, I've upped it to 1600 as i'm feeling quite sore even after taking a day off, longer recovery time. I guess this is because I'm not getting in enough calories. I would be unnecessarily placing a lot of stress the body, trying to make significant changes in a short period of time time and then giving up because its too stressful.

What is the ideal macro ratio of protein, carbs and fats for fat loss - 40:40:30(p/c/f) ? or 50:30:20(p/c/f)?

I'm taking omega3's and vitamine C and E tablets but not multivitamins.

I know what you mean, I've upped it to 1600 as i'm feeling quite sore even after taking a day off, longer recovery time. I guess this is because I'm not getting in enough calories. I would be unnecessarily placing a lot of stress the body, trying to make significant changes in a short period of time time and then giving up because its too stressful.

What is the ideal macro ratio of protein, carbs and fats for fat loss - 40:40:30(p/c/f) ? or 50:30:20(p/c/f)?
    From what I've read for weight loss in order to minimise muscle loss you want to be hitting about 1.2grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, getting at least 0.2g per pound of healthy fats but not too much either, then fill the rest with carbs for energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

That's a pretty big defecit, from my own experience maintenance - 20-25% works best for sustained weight loss, if you're trying to add some muscle at the same by training heavy I'd close that in to 10-15%. 40-40-30 worked great for me.

Don't go crazy working abs either, they'll get plenty with most of the other exercises so just 1 or 2 exercises twing a week should work.

I work a 2 on 1 off schedule with the following split:
    Chest and upper back (love pullups)
    Legs, abs and lower back (deadlift)
    Arms and shoulders.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

bladespin wrote: »
    40-40-30 worked great for me.

Anything over 100% will work ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Anything over 100% will work

I'm just a 110% kinda guy lol

40-40-20 apols.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Thanks for the reply guys,

Consuming too much fats is the problem. I track what I eat on myfitnesspal and everyday there is an excess of 20-25g of fats regardless of what I eat and I reach the calorie limit without consuming enough carbs.

Typically my main source of protein and fats are:

Pork loin chops (with fat trimmed) fried/ roasted in coconut oil.

low fat cottage cheese -300g (higher protein than fats)
    Tuna (higher protein than fats)
    Ham (higher protein than fats)
    Fresh fish ( higher protein than fats)
    Eggs (whole) (similar ratio of protein to fats )

I use extra virgin coconut oil for cooking eggs, fish, meat - (8 - 12 grams). Would this be the main problem? should I be using olive oil instead?

I also add about 5 g of coconut oil with my coffee. I guess this maybe the problem.

What other sources of food would you suggest that are higher in protein and lower in fats? lentiles, beans etc?

Pork chops are awful for fat macros, i like them well enough but gave up on them. Chicken or turkey is what you need

Thanks for the reply guys,

Consuming too much fats is the problem. I track what I eat on myfitnesspal and everyday there is an excess of 20-25g of fats regardless of what I eat and I reach the calorie limit without consuming enough carbs.

Typically my main source of protein and fats are:

Pork loin chops (with fat trimmed) fried/ roasted in coconut oil.

low fat cottage cheese -300g (higher protein than fats)
    Tuna (higher protein than fats)
    Ham (higher protein than fats)
    Fresh fish ( higher protein than fats)
    Eggs (whole) (similar ratio of protein to fats )

I use extra virgin coconut oil for cooking eggs, fish, meat - (8 - 12 grams). Would this be the main problem? should I be using olive oil instead?

I also add about 5 g of coconut oil with my coffee. I guess this maybe the problem.

What other sources of food would you suggest that are higher in protein and lower in fats? lentiles, beans etc?
    Why don't you use the one calorie spray oil. One calorie per spray.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Pork chops are awful for fat macros, i like them well enough but gave up on them. Chicken or turkey is what you need

Thank you I guess I'll stick to chicken and turkey instead.
    New Goat wrote: »

That never crossed my mind! Thanks for that I'll give it a try.

Thank you all for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Olive oil is not suited to cooking at high temperatures so for frying meats, fish etc the coconut oil is a much better option.

If you are looking to drop your fat % then things like coconut oil in coffee is an obvious place to start. Also has has been stated above there are better alternatives to pork, tasty and all as it is.
    New Goat wrote: »

I would use extra virgin coconut oil over this processed muck any day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As someone who fries everything in a big dollop of butter - what's the problem with higher fat ratio?

People on a keto diet seem to do just fine.

Advertisement