Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweep at 38 weeks?

Options
  • 18-04-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi all, currently 36 weeks pregnant and at appointment in Coombe today was told baby is head down and engaged. Not too big and not too small, average size. Am due back at 38 weeks and doctor said they will offer a cervix exam and sweep (if favourable) at that appointment. Any thoughts on this? First time mother..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Totally up to you but there are risks associated with it. They could break your waters by accident and if that happens and your body isn't ready to go into labour you could end up with induction and possibly iv antibiotic if it goes over 24hr because of risk of infection. There's a risk of introduction of bacteria, it can be painful, you can bleed.

38 weeks seems a bit early to be offering it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

My understanding is that latest best practice says that no steps to induce/encourage labour should be taken before 40 weeks unless there's an urgent medical reason. I had a sweep at my 40+4 appointment but I wouldn't have wanted one at my 38 week. That seems way too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My O/H was given a sweep last year at 38 weeks. All was fine with her (3rd baby). She delivered 7 days after the sweep.

Only thing is she had to break her own waters on midwifery instruction after getting the show and being fully dilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Personally as a FTM I wouldn't wanna do it before the due date. It's just a personal preference really. It's more likely to go overdue with the first child and I'd give it a chance to go into labour naturally up until the due date because of the reasons January outlined. Personally I also wouldn't want someone poking around in my cervix because that can be a nasty pain.
    I'd give my body the time it needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lucky2017

Thanks everyone. I'm not in any big rush for baby to arrive so I think I'm happy to wait and decline the sweep at 38 weeks. I've had a coil inserted in the past and I imagine the discomfort is similar to the sweep - that alone puts me off! I figure there'll be enough pain to contend with come labour time. The doctor did say that a sweep would not be possible if cervix not favourable so it might be a no-no in any event

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I was offered a sweep at 38+3 but declined. Even the doctor who was offering it said it was unlikely to work that early. Funnily enough I went into labour two days later anyway. If I had agreed to the sweep I would have thought that was what kick started labour.

Advertisement