Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dress too casual for wedding

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It's lovely. The way it's tied at the back makes it look a bit too casual. If that wasn't there it could be dressed up nicely with the right shoes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I think it's far too casual tbh and also too short for a wedding/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Nice dress ...but I recon it's probably on the short side and probably a bit on the casual side as well..but saying that it all depends on the type of wedding you are going to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Nice dress. Too casual imo, but I'm no expert!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

It's a lovely dress but it's too casual for a wedding. Perhaps if it was the day after the wedding for a bbq or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Depends on the accessories I think.
    Could go either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭short

Thanks for the replys.. The wedding is a humanist ceremony with a bbq after all in the same place.. was going to accessorise with heels but not sure about jewellery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

OP, I think it's a nice dress, but you'd probably need to dress it up a bit. This one from Swamp is very similar and my local Swamp had it on a mannequin with a little jacket over it and heels and a necklace and it looked nice. If you have a Swamp near you, you might be able to have a look.

https://www.swampfashion.com/clothing/dresses/big-flower-tie-back-tulip-dress

ETA: I didn't try it on but I held the dress up to me and it was knee length on me and I'm 5 3". It says there that the model is 5 11", so obviously it's a lot shorter on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

+1 to it being far too casual.

I actually don't think you can dress it up very much; it won't look right with lots of jewellery. It's designed to be a simple, pretty dress and not an occasion dress.

It's lovely - I would wear it at the weekend or even to work but definitely not to wedding.

I would look for something else OP. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

short wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys.. The wedding is a humanist ceremony with a bbq after all in the same place.. was going to accessorise with heels but not sure about jewellery

I for one think this changes things slightly - as it's not the normal 'formal' wedding, then I think you could get away with it for this.

Ok so it looks now that I will only be going to the after a due to babysitter cancelling.. so with heels (black or pop of colour red) and thinking maybe rose gold jewellery would it be ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I Would consider it too casual and too short for an after reception or otherwise- nothing worse than a too short dress at a wedding. Sorry that just my honest opinion. Dresses for same price but smarter on that site.

Thanks for replys. Personally I'm not worried about length as sitting on my knees is good look for my height. Just about shape and if it can be dressed up for afters. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Have you bought the dress already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's what I would call a nice "day dress". However with some great heels (maybe red?) and bag/jacket it could be really nice for an afters.

Enjoy the wedding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

For what it is worth : I think it is clearly an "afternoon tea " dress rather than evening ; the dark background colour is funereal, the dress looks cheap (too short, sleeves too girly), and the neck is too covered up.....Sorry...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I don't think it's too casual at all. Especially if you're just going to the afters and it sounds like a fairly casual wedding.

The only thing I can see wrong with it is the length. It wouldn't work on me (even with black tights as a day dress!) as I'm very tall. But for someone of your height with some nice shoes and accessories it'll be lovely.

I used to work in a 5* hotel that had weddings every weekend. Many people going to the afters (and sometimes the full thing) would wear these sort of dresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I'm no prude but i would consider that too short for a wedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Parchment wrote: »
    I'm no prude but i would consider that too short for a wedding.

The OP said a couple of times that it is at her knees. Username checks out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

The OP said a couple of times that it is at her knees. Username checks out!

I missed that - the username should have pointed it out to me!

short wrote: »
    https://bluevanilla.com/product/loral-floral-tie-back-pleats-pocket-dress/

is this dress too casual for a wedding? I am not as tall as the model so it sits at my knees.

Thanks

All eyes will be on the Bride. If you like your dress, wear it and have a great day.

Hi all thanks for all the replys just to let ye all know I wore the dress in the end with red heels and silver jewellery I thought it looked ok.. I only ended up going from 3pm till 9pm and had a baby in toe so felt didn't need to dress up too much as could be pucked on at any stage. In general the wedding had a very wide spectrum of fashion from proper glitz dresses all the way to a black jumper dress with flat ankle boots so I felt my dress fall in the middle main thing was I didn't feel under dressed. I feel fashion at weddings has changed alot it looks like anything goes. There was alot of black dresses which I was steering clear of as felt april wedding wasn't approriate but it just showed that it really is each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Glad you were happy with it OP, I was going to say that any wedding I've been at in the last 5 years has had a wide array of styles with some people going uber dressy with hats etc and some people going fairly low key and casual. I would say 'anything goes' these days.

Advertisement