Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving in Castlerea

Options
  • 18-04-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi everyone!!!
    I'm thinking about purchasing a home in the West and I recently found two houses that fit my criteria: one is near Castlerea and the other near Ballymote.
    I read several post  concerning the status of Castlerea but they're dated 2006 or 2009...maybe the situation improved there in the last 8 years. For example: is tap water drinkable now, or are you still purchasing it in bottles?
    Would you advise me to move there? Thanks so much!
    I'm not searching for a big city with entertainment, I just want some land to work with animals, so it's not important if there isn't a lot to do.
    Thank you for your help!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi
    i don't live in the town, but go there once a week, hopefully someone from the town can give you better answers.

i think the water issue has been sorted, but again, im not from the town.
    few nice restaurants. nice indian up the town, Delis. chippers and pizza places.
    plenty of supermarkets.
    the demesne is a nice walk way as well.
    forest park in boyle is a nice area to visit, approx 20 minutes away.
    havent been to a pub there for years, but still seems to be plenty of places for drink as well.
    i always like castlerea, me mam and granny + cousins are from there, so maybe that swings it for me.. :)

hopefully someone from town can give you a better answer. hope the above helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Colin Clarke

aelie wrote: »
    Hi everyone!!!
    I'm thinking about purchasing a home in the West and I recently found two houses that fit my criteria: one is near Castlerea and the other near Ballymote.
    I read several post  concerning the status of Castlerea but they're dated 2006 or 2009...maybe the situation improved there in the last 8 years. For example: is tap water drinkable now, or are you still purchasing it in bottles?
    Would you advise me to move there? Thanks so much!
    I'm not searching for a big city with entertainment, I just want some land to work with animals, so it's not important if there isn't a lot to do.
    Thank you for your help!!!:)

Hi I am looking at moving out of Dublin and down the country and i am looking at Castlerea and i was wondering if you did move there and how are you finding it. I will have to nearer the town as i dont drive but i would like somewhere quite with nice areas to walk the dog. Would you recommend Castlerea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hi I am looking at moving out of Dublin and down the country and i am looking at Castlerea and i was wondering if you did move there and how are you finding it. I will have to nearer the town as i dont drive but i would like somewhere quite with nice areas to walk the dog. Would you recommend Castlerea?

It really depends what youre looking for, Castlerea is a very quite town, theres very little to do in the area in my opinion but if you want somewhere quiet and rural with basic amenities around you and cheap housing then its a good place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Colin Clarke

It really depends what youre looking for, Castlerea is a very quite town, theres very little to do in the area in my opinion but if you want somewhere quiet and rural with basic amenities around you and cheap housing then its a good place to live.

Well at 55 I'm looking for somewhere quite, with maybe a nice pub for the odd pint and somewhere I can walk the dog off lead, when I can, so it sounds good. Any areas to avoid? i have heard the Riverside apts aren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Well at 55 I'm looking for somewhere quite, with maybe a nice pub for the odd pint and somewhere I can walk the dog off lead, when I can, so it sounds good. Any areas to avoid? i have heard the Riverside apts aren't great.

Hi Colin, I live in Roscommon town, about 30 mins from Castlerea. I would have heard anecdotally that Riverside wasn’t great too, with issues of dampness amongst other things but I’ve never been in one.

I don’t think there’s any other area to avoid off the top of my head? Has good and bad in it, same as every town. The demesne is beautiful for walks. The pub scene has reduced in recent years but there are still a few. Plus you’ve a good rail link Roscommon town onward too? For a change of scenery? Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement