Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets talk about Burgers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had to google smash burgers.

This is how I have always made home made burgers!.
    If I cooked burgers like that as a child I would have been thrown out of the house as I don't think any pan was uncoated, so would have destroyed them.

I used to press down to speed up cooking and stop them curling (when doing crappy old frozen quarter pounders) so did get a bit of a crust but not the same as the smash ones.

You can see them doing a smash in the eddie rockets video at the 20second mark.

They smash but do not make a really thin one,
    87879896_10157892887383476_481925588655800320_o.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=2c4854&_nc_ohc=LziG2YFTDnEAX-qHJHs&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=68deb2d95b083dbc0d5485927990992a&oe=5ECE1B8C

bunsen also do a press but it is kept quite thick. I prefer the fully smashed double burger with both having lots of searing, and cheese in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This "smash" thing really is a load of bollocks. Its just a press, like people have been doing for decades. Not sure why its such a hip new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Used to cook lamb bolongnese for one family member allergic to beef. OH used to add a bit of water to the mince in the pan. I would do it dry. The first way was nearer to boiling, whilst my method carmelised the mince but you had to mind it and regularly mix it.
    Now lamb would have a significant fat content as burger meat should have also.

The Nal wrote: »
    This "smash" thing really is a load of bollocks. Its just a press, like people have been doing for decades. Not sure why its such a hip new thing.
    Because it is new to many, this seems blatantly obvious to me!

Low temperature cooking has been going on centuries, do you similarly call "sous vide" bollocks and are you similarly confused about why it is a "hip new thing".

I have never had what I would describe as a smashburger anywhere in my life, bar the ones I made. I would not call the eddie rockets or bunsen "smashburgers", they are pressed alright, but to me its smashing it really thin, holes might be appearing in it.

If you read this thread, and many others on boards and other sites and videos you will see the technique is not know to many people, some might have seen it being done in burger joints but not replicated it at home and not realised what was actually going on. It is more often to hear people recommending against pressing burgers, which has happened in threads on here, as it squeezes juice out if done on a semi cooked burger.

Say "pressing a burger" to people and I would bet most think you are talking about those things that shape them. I made a steel plate and presser for a friend for his BBQ and he gave me a gift of one of those shapers, he had mistakenly thought it was for doing smash/pressed burgers.

People do not even have the tools to do it. It is quite difficult to even get your hands on a cast iron pan these days. Many do not have a suitable sharp metal spatula.

I have mentioned this method to several friends/family/colleagues and none had done it, I doubt many people I know would have a suitable pan though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The smash for me is all about creating the malliiard reaction and which forms a solid crust packed with flavour. Its nothing to do with being hip and everything to do with making the burger taste as good as it can.

rubadub wrote: »
    I made a steel plate and presser for a friend for his BBQ and he gave me a gift of one of those shapers, he had mistakenly thought it was for doing smash/pressed burgers.

I'd wondered about getting a metal smasher made up by a local metal fabricator whose done some welding for me in the past. I'm settled now for good on 2 x 90g patties so was thinking it'd be good to have a smasher like used in this video, with a rim on it so the shape of it is consistent every time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHZBTXDBW4&t=94s
    Theres a guy in the US who will make them to specific dimesions but he was charging something like $100

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    a smasher like used in this video,
    that is actually patented and you can see the patent online.

you might be able to find something off the shelf that would do the job.

Like a mini crepe pan which may he shallow enough, and take the handle off.

The border does not have to be all the way around to work for it to work to give a uniform thickness. If you had a steel plate and welded on a ring of 6-10 steel nuts all around it this would give a consistent thickness. If the plate had actual screws they could be adjusted.

Or you might be able to find a shallow cookie cutter.

There are obviously the burger presser bases themselves, but most of these would be too narrow for what we want. As the burger is going to shrink a lot.
    Non-Stick-Stainless-Steel-single-Hamburger-Presse-Patties-Pizza-Burger-Mold-Maker-Kitchen-meat-poultry-Cooking-2-e1525970673857-800x800.jpg

Maybe there are extra wide ones though.

that is actually patented and you can see the patent online.

you might be able to find something off the shelf that would do the job.

Like a mini crepe pan which may he shallow enough, and take the handle off.

The border does not have to be all the way around to work for it to work to give a uniform thickness. If you had a steel plate and welded on a ring of 6-10 steel nuts all around it this would give a consistent thickness. If the plate had actual screws they could be adjusted.

yeah I've actually searched a couple of times for something off the shelf but all I could find was that American lad fabricating them to order for around $100 delivered. Lots of burger presses about but couldnt find any with a rim specifically designed to create the same shape consistently every time.

yeah I saw in the Smashburger video that their smasher is patented, that gave me a bit of a laugh. I dont suppose you've seen the dimensions of it, if I knew the height of the rim in millimetres and the diameter that would be a good starting point. I have an old coffee tamper that could perhaps be welded on to the plate as the handle.

Also when you say metal nuts as the rim, are you talking the regular hexagonal nuts with holes in them? Might meat squeeze out of the holes when smashing?

Because it is new to many, this seems blatantly obvious to me!

Low temperature cooking has been going on centuries, do you similarly call "sous vide" bollocks and are you similarly confused about why it is a "hip new thing".

I have never had what I would describe as a smashburger anywhere in my life, bar the ones I made. I would not call the eddie rockets or bunsen "smashburgers", they are pressed alright, but to me its smashing it really thin, holes might be appearing in it.

If you read this thread, and many others on boards and other sites and videos you will see the technique is not know to many people, some might have seen it being done in burger joints but not replicated it at home and not realised what was actually going on. It is more often to hear people recommending against pressing burgers, which has happened in threads on here, as it squeezes juice out if done on a semi cooked burger.

Say "pressing a burger" to people and I would bet most think you are talking about those things that shape them. I made a steel plate and presser for a friend for his BBQ and he gave me a gift of one of those shapers, he had mistakenly thought it was for doing smash/pressed burgers.

People do not even have the tools to do it. It is quite difficult to even get your hands on a cast iron pan these days. Many do not have a suitable sharp metal spatula.

I have mentioned this method to several friends/family/colleagues and none had done it, I doubt many people I know would have a suitable pan though.

Right. Making a mountain out of a molehill a bit here. You don't need any special tools. It is absolutely not quite difficult to get your hands on a cast iron pan. Or a metal spatula. You could have both delivered tomorrow. But even so, you don't need either.

The recent smash burger phenom is mental. Patented "smashers" and the like. Its a burger. A child could make one. Lets not complicate this!

"Smash burgers are in vogue".

Look at how she "smashes" these. Hardly any special tools needed.

Don't get me wrong, they're great. Had a "smash" sausage and egg muffin this morning for brekkie. Can't even remember what I used to "smash" it. Whatever was on the counter. A potato masher I think.

Edit - I just invented the "mash burger".

Patent pending.

yeah I've actually searched a couple of times for something off the shelf
    by off the shelf I actually meant some other item which is not sold as a burger press with a "thickness rim" but could be used as one.
    I dont suppose you've seen the dimensions of it, if I knew the height of the rim in millimetres and the diameter that would be a good starting point.
    patent here, it does list dimensions
    https://patents.google.com/patent/US20130280397?oq=smashburger

Also when you say metal nuts as the rim, are you talking the regular hexagonal nuts with holes in them? Might meat squeeze out of the holes when smashing?
    The plate would be large enough so meat would not be touching them, or just touching them. If you had a bit of metal tubing it could be bent into a circular shape and dropped into the pan, then meat in the middle and press down and the tube make it the same height, as the press would hit the tube.

I do tend to press one side more than the other, but I know this now so press and then press more on just the side which is too high up. I do no really like the idea of the rim as I fear you will not be able to ensure all bits are pressed, I would prefer it all nicely seared than it all nicely uniform thickness.

Also any sort of rim etc makes cleaning up harder.

by off the shelf I actually meant some other item which is not sold as a burger press with a "thickness rim" but could be used as one.

yeah come to think of it there are round metal ring moulds for frying eggs on the market, not sure of their sizes but would imagine some are close to how big you would want a patty

Thanks for that, gave me a laugh. The sheer amount of detail in that document, they even go as far as having mathematical equations on the dispersing forces of smashing a burger! Gives some good dimensions there for 5 variants of a smasher. Interesting to see too that they mention a single patty size of 3.2oz which converts to exactly 90 grams, which a bit of experimenting had led me to always using. I wonder why though the shape of it is a hexagon and not perfectly round.

• Advertisement

Chef/baking/pastry ring could do that. Or just use your hands.

That is ridiculous. Tom Ryan is the "inventor". Same guy who owns the Smash Burger chain and who used to work for Pizza Hut and Mickey Ds. Chancer. Its a ****ing burger Tom.

yeah come to think of it there are round metal ring moulds for frying eggs on the market,.
    yes, I was mentioning cookie cutters. Most of these, and egg things are too deep though. It might be possibly to cut them to size with a hacksaw, maybe using the method I was talking about for cutting the buns to an even thickness. You might even get 2 out of it, or a varied thickness

Interesting to see too that they mention a single patty size of 3.2oz which converts to exactly 90 grams,
    It is sort of decimalisation of a pound. McDonald burgers are 1.6oz, 1/10th of a pound, so this is twice that. The big mac uses 2 of those.
    I wonder why though the shape of it is a hexagon and not perfectly round.
    The patent claim is to purposely make an irregular shape, like McD chicken nuggets have several shapes, which can give the illusion of it being more "hand made" or less processed looking.
    In the depicted embodiment, the body portion 4 comprises a curvilinear perimeter with multiple points of inflection and comprising a substantially five-point or five-node shape. Such a shape is provided to provide a desirable, irregular final shape to a food product. It will be recognized, however, that the present disclosure is not limited to any particular shape in this regard. Indeed, it is contemplated that the body portion 4 comprises various alternative shapes including, but not limited to, round, rectangular, square, etc

There can be some oddball reasons for stuff like this, like being shaped to fit in dishwashers nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭thereitisgone

I made one, first it was flat then started to make softer burgers with grated onion, so added the rim, it helped it stay in shape
    Last edited by thereitisgone; Today at 17:43.

https://ibb.co/HzpJmC3

The patent claim is to purposely make an irregular shape, like McD chicken nuggets have several shapes, which can give the illusion of it being more "hand made" or less processed looking.

There can be some oddball reasons for stuff like this, like being shaped to fit in dishwashers nicely.

yeah had thought the shape of it was a bit bizarre but they obviously have their reasons.
    I made one, first it was flat then started to make softer burgers with grated onion, so added the rim, it helped it stay in shape
    Last edited by thereitisgone; Today at 17:43.

https://ibb.co/HzpJmC3

Thats pretty impressive. Have you ever measured what weight of patty it works best with? And are you getting full contact all over the bottom of the burger when you smash it into the pan?

yeah had thought the shape of it was a bit bizarre but they obviously have their reasons.

Thats pretty impressive. Have you ever measured what weight of patty it works best with? And are you getting full contact all over the bottom of the burger when you smash it into the pan?

Used to make 150g burgers but lately have changed to 125g and find it perfect
    The rim is not really meant to touch down on the plate, its 11mm wide, i only really added it to help the burgers from spreading in the wrong directions

yeah I think thats why Id mainly want a rim, just to stop them going into odd shapes. How many mm of diameter is yours? Think I might ask the local fabricator to make me one up as I dont have the diy skills for it but I would use such a device for years to come. Great job by yourself, fair play.

yeah I think thats why Id mainly want a rim, just to stop them going into odd shapes. How many mm of diameter is yours? Think I might ask the local fabricator to make me one up as I dont have the diy skills for it but I would use such a device for years to come. Great job by yourself, fair play.

130mm diameter and that is big enough for any burger
    This is from stainless but a lot make it from normal metal and just treat it like they do the hot plate to make it non stick
    But biggest thing about using any of these presses is before each burger ball before pressing spray the presser with oil or it will split and spread no matter what press you have

cheers will look into it. I always use parchment paper between the burger and the press. Saves the press getting grease all over it and makes sure the burger doesnt come up stuck to it when you pull the press away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have been cutting these buns now, once to make a big mac style burger and then another where I just ate the middle bit separately like it was a regular slice of bread. I do find the bread ratio too much unless the burger is really thick.

I use a method like this device. Skip to 50second mark.

Instead I used a chopping board which is about 12mm thick and a wooden spoon handle which is similar diameter. So put the bun in the middle and lay the knife onto the chopping board and the spoon on the side nearest me, press on the bun and cut. So the base of the bun is now 12mm high.

I might try doing this on those ready cut buns you get to take a sliver off them, as I find them too thick. The remaining slice might be too thin to use properly so could save it for making breadcrumbs or something.

Bundys_Super_4s_2020.png

There are little guides you can get for leveling cakes that might work well for this application

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slicer-Stratification-Auxiliary-Cutting-Fixator/dp/B07R49BGT4

61ViPVVo04L._AC_SL1002_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Angelle123

I love burgers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

What have people tried for burger sauces? I looked at a few recipes and then just cobbled together one based on the various ones I read - mayo, mustard, paprika, black pepper and pickle juice. Added some finely chopped onion as it was sitting on the counter and that was a nice addition!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Pubs across Ireland serve a dish called "pasta carbonara" on their menues. They make it with white wine, cream, chicken stock and a roux.

It's not carbonara, no matter how many people call it that on their menu, carbora doesn't have any of those ingredients (carbonara is egg, parmasan, pancetta, garlic and pasta water).

The same is true of burgers.

Ah some someone saying burgers is wrong and then giving the wrong list of ingredients for an italian dish...

Carbonara's a Roman dish, Pecorino cheese, not cheese from Parma,is used, and cured pig cheek, not pig belly is used. But make it how you like, and if it tastes nice, eat more.

My local butcher uses sheep to make his best burgers, and he's not wrong

Twee. wrote: »
    pickle juice. Added some finely chopped onion
    I liquidised up drained pickles and drained pickled onions. As they are pickled it lasts well in the fridge, and 2 drained jars when liquidised becomes 1 smaller jar overall, so saves on space. I just smear a bit of this on, or it can be added to other burger sauces you have made up. Many might not like the texture of sliced gherkins so might like it more.

I usually put on ketchup and frenchs mustard and now use tesco thousand island dressing which is cheap compared to some burger sauces. Thousand island is quite similar to big mac sauce.

250ml is only 65cent
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/details/?id=263807571

Twee. wrote: »
    What have people tried for burger sauces? I looked at a few recipes and then just cobbled together one based on the various ones I read - mayo, mustard, paprika, black pepper and pickle juice. Added some finely chopped onion as it was sitting on the counter and that was a nice addition!

My go to for burgers recently has been Aldis chargrilled red pepper relish which I put on the top bun and mayo on the bottom one. Its great for sandwiches too.

Marks and Sparks sell a product called Special Burger sauce which is an imitation of Big Mac sauce, its not quite bang on but it is close, Id recommend it. Have been meaning to try out Aldis burger mayonnaise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

Anyone ever find out what seasoning/recipe the butchers use when making up their patties? I asked this on here a few years ago.One suggestion was Almat seasoning which I tried but it wasn't comparable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

https://kiernans.ie/seasonings-mixes/burger-seasonings-and-mixes.html

Can't remember what we used in our butchers when I was young. It came in a 5kg tub and was white! I'd say MSG and onion salt featured heavily. The hamburgers were made with lamb. We did do beef burgers sometimes but the lamb ones were the main ones we sold.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Marks and Sparks sell a product called Special Burger sauce which is an imitation of Big Mac sauce, its not quite bang on but it is close, Id recommend it. Have been meaning to try out Aldis burger mayonnaise too.

I've had that M&S sauce, it is indeed delish!

I do like making up my own and just enough for what I'm serving that night. My fridge is usually full of sauces and dips, but I've done a big clear out and trying to be more streamlined. No need for me to have one each mayo, other flavoured mayo and burger sauce, when I have all the fixings to throw something together and use up what's in the cupboard. Now saying all that I do have regular mayo and the Kewpie stuff, it's so good and I tell myself they both have their individual uses :)

If I'm doing a non smash burger I sometimes use mozzarella cheese and some pesto mixed with mayo for the sauce. Those burgers would be thicker, and I put tomato puree, wholegrain mustard, salt & pepper in the mince mix.

12VJ087.jpg?1

Bit bigger smash burgers 150g each, were really really good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Water John wrote: »

Yeah, but he's a dedicated follower of fashion.

I wonder if Mr Jonze's parents were called Jones or Johns :rolleyes:

Advertisement