Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My prunus tree flowers are dying...

Options
  • 18-04-2017 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Something wrong with my tree...got a lots of flowers this year but no it seems that all are dying,with the very soft touch of the finger,the whole flower structure just falls off.

Last year was ok ith the flowers but no fruits,compared with the previous year when it had some fruits.
    I've move it early in the year,same garden different position but it survived the shock...

Any ideea what i have done or what can i do to remedy it !
    Thanks

414998.jpg

414999.jpg

415000.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

If you moved it, it is probably lack of water. I don't know where you are but here it hasn't properly rained in a few weeks. I would give it a good soaking so it can reestablish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

jaffa20 wrote: »
    If you moved it, it is probably lack of water. I don't know where you are but here it hasn't properly rained in a few weeks. I would give it a good soaking so it can reestablish.

I will,thanks.

The staff at the garden centre mentioned something about polenisation and may need a second tree !? "Lost" him and will need to do my homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

You may need two trees for fertilisation, if there are no other prunus trees in nearby gardens.
    Some prunus trees self fertilise though. There is a list here:
    http://www.bronandsons.com/info/pollination-chart.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pollination is what the garden centre were talking about. Many trees need pollen from another tree in order to create the fruit.

I think though that this is, as has been suggested, about watering and also the fact that you moved it. Its a big tree to move and while it has produced leaves and flowers this time it may not survive after a couple of seasons. It will need a lot of water, we are talking several bucketsful applied slowly so it goes into the soil around the tree. Or you could leave a hose on a slow trickle, making sure that the water soaks in at the roots rather than just flowing away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks guys for hep,i am much apreciated.

I was so happy to see it "green" and blossoms (after the forcible move only few meters away) that i may have forgotten about wattering !
    Who tought here in Dublin trees needed watering... :(

Two years ago i had fruits so i guess is not the pollination fully to blame on it !?
    There is a pear,apple and cherry beside this one, can they "share" that polen ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You have not said what kind of fruit you got from your tree. If it is a plum, for example, you need a compatible plum.

Advertisement