Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mystery mircro stutter on all browsers, videos and games

• 18-04-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I've been searching and searching for a fix for this, cant find the solution, hopefully someone here can help

Here is what is happening ~ While on any browser there is mini stutter, watching any video playback caused mini stutter. After a while, randomly, my entire system will get laggy until I minimize the browser to the desktop or open up task manager etc.

The other thing that is happening, which I think must be related to the above mentioned ~ When playing any PC game there is micro stutter, no lag like when using browsers/videos, just micro stutter

Some things I have tried

Disabled GPU
    Updated everything
    Clean install
    Mem tests etc
    HDD/SSD tests
    Cores unparked
    All power saving BIOS options turned off
    Default BIOS options/No OC
    Installed Linux mint cinnamon
    ... and many, many other things with no result whatsoever

This leads me to think its a CPU problem? I have a good AIO cooling system, all temps are fine, nothing in event viewer leading to any hints as far as I can tell

So what is doing on here? I've been searching for a fix for nearly a year now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

AMD 8320e 4.0Ghz OC (AIO Water cooling)
    GTX MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB OC
    HyperX 1866Mhz (2x4GB)
    EVGA Supernova 750 W B2 Bronze
    535 INTEL Solid State Drive 240 GB
    Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you disable HW acceleration in your browser does it do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Dreadbell101

Hi ED E, thanks for the reply

Yes, have tried disabling HW acceleration.

What I've also tried among many other things is disabling the GPU and also installing Linux Mint, still no solution... I'm 75% sure this problem is either a CPU, PSU or motherboard problem, but I am not 100% sure what is actually going on. not much seems to be pointing me to a solution at all

CPU or board yeah. HW interrupts could do it, but what would be spawning them I dont know.

TBH Vishera was kidna crap, so few enthusiasts use them so the wealth of knowledge out there is lower.

Wait, you disabled the GPU, that means onboard was in use. That onboard GPU active normally? Can it be disabled in BIOS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭ReZonator

It could be a combination of issues. Have you tried another monitor? Could it be your mouse? I've had trouble with my Corsair causing weird behavior in browser. Perhaps you need a motherboard BIOS update. Can you use a different graphics card to test? If you haven't already, try using a different browser.

Yep, I've read a few posts saying Vishera aint so good

I disabled the onboard graphics just to see if it was the GPU causing the problem. Onboard graphics is never on and I dont see anywhere to turn it off in BIOS, think its automatic, nothing showing in device manager either, only the GPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Try an ethernet adaptor instead of the built-in one

Hi ReZonator, thanks for the reply

I have tried a different monitor, different refresh rates, no difference.

I cant see how it would be the mouse, the entire system starts to lag. Its seems the microstutter is slowing something down until it starts to lag the entire system until the browser in minimized

Recently updated Bios, no difference still

I only have the one GPU, but I have already disabled the GPU to test if the microstutter is still there and it is. So this isnt a GPU problem, its gotta be motherboard, PSU or CPU problem..... I think lol

I only have the one GPU, but I have already disabled the GPU to test if the microstutter is still there and it is. So this isnt a GPU problem, its gotta be motherboard, PSU or CPU problem..... I think lol

Dont disable the GPU. Remove it. Move the cable over to the onboard. Thats the real way to test.

It probably isn't but my mouse used to make the browser skip and stutter. I replaced it and the problem went away. I think the software that Corsair supply is buggy. Anyway, that's a difficult issue by the sounds of it. It looks like the CPU, RAM, SSD or Motherboard. Unlikely to be CPU I guess. Issue is persistent across different OS's which rules out drivers, and the RAM was tested.. so if you have the latest SSD firmware, I would suspect the board.

I did test during a clean install of the GPU, still stuttering

• Advertisement

Have you looked in the "Event Viewer", filtering at the times when this issue occurred?

Just noticed that the OS is *nix based, I suspect you cat or tail the logs in /var/log..

ReZonator wrote: »
    It probably isn't but my mouse used to make the browser skip and stutter. I replaced it and the problem went away. I think the software that Corsair supply is buggy. Anyway, that's a difficult issue by the sounds of it. It looks like the CPU, RAM, SSD or Motherboard. Unlikely to be CPU I guess. Issue is persistent across different OS's which rules out drivers, and the RAM was tested.. so if you have the latest SSD firmware, I would suspect the board.

Yep, the SSD is updated and recently did a health scan on it. So it must be the motherboard then.... might have to get a new motherboard by the looks of it, hope its not a faulty CPU

gctest50 wrote: »
    Try an ethernet adaptor instead of the built-in one

Hi, thanks for the reply.

This stuttering is happening with the internet on and off, windows media player and games offline

NoDrama wrote: »
    Have you looked in the "Event Viewer", filtering at the times when this issue occurred?

Just noticed that the OS is *nix based, I suspect you cat or tail the logs in /var/log..

Event Viewer shows nothing relating to this problem, no critical, error or warning messages when it happens.

The main OS is windows 7 Pro 64bit, I only installed Linux mint cinnamon to see if the microstuttering etc followed me, which it did, this also shows that the SSD is not the cause of this problem. As for the logs in Linux, I have no idea, I barely use it

Yep, the SSD is updated and recently did a health scan on it. So it must be the motherboard then.... might have to get a new motherboard by the looks of it, hope its not a faulty CPU

Does all the memory appear to the BIOS/OS? I only ask because my dad has a intel celeron system that only sees 3 GB out of 4. Probably not your issue but with modern webpages the system accesses the page file a lot.

I would definitely try to test with a different graphics card, just to be sure.
    If you do decide to replace the board I think you should get a second hand board, as the system is old and you would be better off upgrading.

ReZonator wrote: »
    Does all the memory appear to the BIOS/OS? I only ask because my dad has a intel celeron system that only sees 3 GB out of 4. Probably not your issue but with modern webpages the system accesses the page file a lot.

I would definitely try to test with a different graphics card, just to be sure.
    If you do decide to replace the board I think you should get a second hand board, as the system is old and you would be better off upgrading.

Yep, all the memory shows correctly.

Ok, I will have to try with a different card when I can.. I dont have a spare card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

What are your vsync settings in the Nvidia control panel? I had this issue when I got my 1060 and solved it by changing to Adaptive vsync, found the solution suggest on Tom's Hardware (sorry can't find the link at the moment)

Advertisement