Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Services Enquiry

Options
  • 18-04-2017 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, not sure if this is the right forum but I received one of these forms from the cso today. Was hoping to avoid the accountant for a month so my questions are:

1) Do I need to fill it in?

2) Do I need to fill it in accurately?

3) What are the consequences of not filling it in?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Our fellow entrepreneur Margaret Heffernan was similarly exercised on this issue. She hated filling in the form so much that she spent a bunch of cash in court for the right not to fill it in: https://scoirl.wordpress.com/2014/10/12/dunnes-stores-v-central-statistics-office-ministerial-delegation-of-power-ultra-vires/

However, this was quite a technical victory. Mrs Heffernan still ended up having to fill it in as far as I know. It is hard to see what the point of this really was, though at least she got her legal fees paid.

1. Yes.

2. You must not fill it in inaccurately. Does it have to be accurate down to the nearest euro? Not really. They average all these figures out to get an overall picture. I am assuming that since you do not have a full time accountant on staff, you are probably not Margaret Heffernan and your turnover is probably less than €100m. They would rather get your return, on time, than have it 100 percent accurate.

3. Prosecution, eventually.

You would be better off just filling it in. If you are a month late, I don't think anyone is going to imprison you over it.

Advertisement