Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about doing PME in Business and Accounting

Options
  • 18-04-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi Everyone,

I've recently applied and been offered to do the PME in Business and Economics in Maynooth starting in September 2017 however I keep hearing people say that the market is saturated with graduates with these subjects and that it is almost impossible to get teaching jobs here in Ireland. Has anyone done this course with similar subjects and been successful in getting a job?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I haven't done it but it's not a great choice of subjects.
    Business is an option at JC and LC. Economics is taught in very few schools and is LC only.
    I know in my school there are lots of business teachers who don't teach it, they only teach their other subject e.g. Maths or geography

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I concur, you effectively have one subject whereas most business teachers are also geography teachers and hence more employable

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭derb12

Do you have accounting also as your subject suggests?
    Business and accounting and economics is still not great due to the number of qualified teachers out there but you might have some chance.
    Don't assume that you'll be okay to teach all those subjects though - you'll need to check with the teaching council. I don't think the colleges check your qualifications before offering the PME (unless things have changed since my day).
    Best of luck whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Stevewoulfe90

Thanks for the replies. The teaching council confirmed with me that I would qualify to teach Business for both JC and LC . I would be qualified to teach Economics for LC and I also have enough credits to teach Accounting for JC. Is Economics really only thought in a few schools? It was a choice subject in All Three schools in my Town for Leaving cert so I just assumed it was widely thought?

I have no other subjects I'm afraid. My degree was In Commerce and Economics so they would be the only subjects I would be qualified teach.

Has anybody had success teaching these subjects abroad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Are you sure it is accounting for JC, I have never heard of this for JC, only business.

Yes, less than 9% of students take Economics for LC
    https://www.examinations.ie/archive/examiners_reports/Chief_Examiners_Report_Economics_2013_Final.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Thanks for the replies. The teaching council confirmed with me that I would qualify to teach Business for both JC and LC . I would be qualified to teach Economics for LC and I also have enough credits to teach Accounting for JC. Is Economics really only thought in a few schools? It was a choice subject in All Three schools in my Town for Leaving cert so I just assumed it was widely thought?

I have no other subjects I'm afraid. My degree was In Commerce and Economics so they would be the only subjects I would be qualified teach.

Accounting isn't a JC subject. Business, accounting, and economics are all the one subject for JC - business studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

It's generally easier to get a job in secondary teaching in the UK than in Ireland. Maths is probably the subject most in demand in the UK but you should be able to get a job teaching Business.

Did you look into doing the PGCE in the UK? It's shorter than the Irish Masters but you need to find out if you qualify in the UK and work there for a few years, will you be qualified to teach in Ireland as the Masters here is 120 ECTS and the UK PGCE is 60 ECTS. However some PGCEs in the UK now have the option of taking the Masters route.

Advertisement