Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mechanical Engineer Sponsorship

• 19-04-2017 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Myself and my partner are heading to Australia soon to work on a WHV. We see this as a great chance to see if we like the idea of living in Australia longer term through sponsorship or individual immigration visas.

My question really is, as an experienced (5 years) mechanical engineer, is sponsorship difficult to secure? Should I be upfront with prospective employers about my desire for sponsorship?

I know there have been some visa changes this week but from what I've read these don't come in until March 2018. Also my skill remains on the new skills list.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Bump,

Arrived in Australia the other day and love it so far.

Would really like if someone could give me some advice on whether to be upfront with employers/recruiters about my wish to get sponsored. Or any other tips for a first timer working in Australia.

Any help is appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I guess it depends on where you're located and what area your experience is in. Most companies are reluctant to sponsor. It's very expensive for them. Would you be willing to try & get PR? It's expensive but worth it if you're planning on staying long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

what industry is your experience in?

lg123 wrote: »
    what industry is your experience in?

Most of my experience is in agricultural machinery research and design. I also have a couple of years experience in vehicle testing and legislation/homologation.

As Ted mentioned above, go straight for PR if you can afford it.
    Test the water on the WHV, make a decision re PR.
    AU manufacturing has been hit quite hard when the AUD was really strong in the first half of this decade. It's pulled back quite a bit making imports much more expensive.
    If you're worth it, companies will sponsor. But the 457 is, and always has been, a $hit visa.

• Advertisement

Test the water on the WHV, make a decision re PR.
    AU manufacturing has been hit quite hard when the AUD was really strong in the first half of this decade. It's pulled back quite a bit making imports much more expensive.
    If you're worth it, companies will sponsor. But the 457 is, and always has been, a $hit visa.

That might be the best thing to do. I'm likely eligible for PR so I'll give the WHV some time before making a decision on it. I believe that even with the cost, it's also a very long process. Have you any experience with it?

it's about five years since I got my PR, we used the old 175 subclass just before it changed to the 189. 
    PR is costly but if you have any intention of putting a few years in, and even if you get sponsored, I'd recommend applying anyways. No medicare on the 457, I think it's a condition of the visa that you have to get private medical cover. That will set ye back about $2k per year. If you do the PR application yourself, I'm guessing you'd be looking at around $4k in expenses. With PR you dont have to get private health cover, so it'd kinda pays for itself if you were going to rely on medicare.
    Plus, you have way more flexibility with work. Changing jobs wont have the extra hassle of getting immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

Agreed. Was on 3 or 4 457's....de facto..PR...before eventually got Citizenship. and they were pain in the ar*e.
    If you can go for PR straightup its the best way to go for sure.

Advertisement