Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trellis Plants

Options
  • 19-04-2017 9:44am

Some advice please.

I've recently added a trellis to my garden. I'm hoping that it will act as a screen as well as providing some colour. The length is 18ft long and 6ft tall. It receives sunshine all through the day. I am located in South East.

I want to try and plant a good mixture of plants but they must be evergreen in order to provide the privacy cover I am requiring.
    Also climbing plants only please.
    I would also like to try and get a variety of plants which will provide flowers throughout the year, or most of it.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

What kind of trellis is it? How sturdy is it?

Its 6ft x 6ft with 1inch wide lats.

I've fixed them to 8ft tall 3in sq treated posts. 2 ft into the ground with concrete. Hopefully secure enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Climbing roses, clematis, honeysuckle, edible beans in the summer for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Ivy (in it's many forms- but climbing, not trailing types!)- and there is an evergreen honeysuckle- the only downside is that it doesn't have the fragrance of the "normal" variety.

I picked up a selection of Passion Flower, Honeysuckle and Clematis and another who's name escapes me. They were in Aldi for €2-99 each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Not to hijack, but can I ask where you got your trellis and the cost?

I'm looking to put a trellis along back wall of my garden for a couple of clematis I picked up in Aldi too, just to hide the bare block wall really.

I picked them up in the local Garde centre. 6x6ft
    €26 each but I think they were on offer.

Advertisement