Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council House Help

Options
  • 19-04-2017 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all,

We are on the council housing list nearly 1 year. We have been told by an official in the council that houses are been purchased by the council in the area we picked and that we will get one of these. My main question is, what exactly do we need and what comes with it. They are new builds.. are floors, tiles, fitted kitchen and appliances included or do we need to obtain these items ourselves? I know furniture is not included. Also my husband works full time and we get €50 FIS per week, d
    Would this mean we could get a grant or something to help cover the costs of appliances & furniture? It will be a few months down the line before we actually get keys but I would just like some info as maybe we could start gathering things or paying off on items etc.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

kiki25 wrote: »
    Hi all,

what comes with it. They are new builds.. are floors, tiles, fitted kitchen and appliances included or do we need to obtain these items ourselves? I

Most likely not. Same with window coverings.

I don't know if workers get a grant or not - suspect not, but I may be wrong. Best bet is to go any ask the community welfare officer.

If not, try Vincent de Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You may have to speak to your local authority about what's included with the house. There is an exceptional needs payment which can be granted by the DSP but would be on a discretionary basis, i.e. it all depends on your individual case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 kiki25

Most likely not. Same with window coverings.

I don't know if workers get a grant or not - suspect not, but I may be wrong. Best bet is to go any ask the community welfare officer.

If not, try Vincent de Paul.

Thank you

You may have to speak to your local authority about what's included with the house. There is an exceptional needs payment which can be granted by the DSP but would be on a discretionary basis, i.e. it all depends on your individual case.

Ok thank you for the help.. at least I know my next step and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

If it's a new build there will be nothing.

You'll have bare concrete floors downstairs, Kitchen will be fitted (No Fridge, Cooker etc..) Kitchen walls should be tiled and most likely lino on kitchen floor.

Just standard Wooden floorboards upstairs. No carpet on stairs just bare wood.

Bathrooms will be tiled around bath only and most likely have lino on the floors, No shower doors, curtains, no electric shower.

I used to tile these houses years back on sites and that's how they were when people moved in.

Its basically a shell.

I think the SW still give grants / payments towards a Cooker, Fridge, Washing machine etc... But best to go in and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Where are you based ,
    Id be checking adverts and done deal for appliances and such

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

AFAIK you need to go to your CWO to ask about a payment towards basic furnishing.

Thank you all for your help. I guess I have a lot of work ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

You'll have bare concrete floors downstairs, Kitchen will be fitted (No Fridge, Cooker etc..) Kitchen walls should be tiled and most likely lino on kitchen floor.

Just standard Wooden floorboards upstairs. No carpet on stairs just bare wood.

Bathrooms will be tiled around bath only and most likely have lino on the floors, No shower doors, curtains, no electric shower.

I used to tile these houses years back on sites and that's how they were when people moved in.

Its basically a shell.

I think the SW still give grants / payments towards a Cooker, Fridge, Washing machine etc... But best to go in and ask.

This would be below the standard spec for most new build developments. I would be very surprised if this was the spec offered.

Standard for new build is kitchen with fridge, dishwasher, oven and hob. Microwave and washing machine varies. Often kitchen floor is tiled but it varies. Splashback behind hob and sink may also be provided.

Bathroom floors are tiled and as appropriate for shower but tiling elsewhere (eg around sink and bath) is minimal. Shower doors are provided but I guess if shower is above bath they may not provide anything.

Haven't seen lino anywhere.

The big things you'll need are flooring and window treatments throughout. Then probably a washing machine and furniture.

This would be below the standard spec for most new build developments. I would be very surprised if this was the spec offered.

Standard for new build is kitchen with fridge, dishwasher, oven and hob. Microwave and washing machine varies. Often kitchen floor is tiled but it varies. Splashback behind hob and sink may also be provided.

Bathroom floors are tiled and as appropriate for shower but tiling elsewhere (eg around sink and bath) is minimal. Shower doors are provided but I guess if shower is above bath they may not provide anything.

The big things you'll need are flooring and window treatments throughout. Then probably a washing machine and furniture.

Oh Lord I am confused now!! So many people say no appliances at all that it's just kitchen presses. Concrete floors or wooden..

I don't want to ask the council what comes with it until it's confirmed, don't want to come across as pushing. The council's in ireland are under enough stress with the housing crisis without me wanting to know what I get or been seen as greedy..

I am just trying to get ahead and see if I can collect up all the bits and have them ready so there will be no delay moving in. My husband is very handy with anything DIY so any flooring, tiles etc he can do so that's a huge saving.

I'm sure a CWO can confirm what needs to be arranged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 protege_moi

Wouldn't count on social welfare if partner is working. Moved to council house in August was literally laughed off the phone as work and claim Fís single parent and was told I was working so could afford to pay it myself. May be different for you but don't depend on them. Keep an eye on adverts jumbletown and other sites for what you need.

Wouldn't count on social welfare if partner is working. Moved to council house in August was literally laughed off the phone as work and claim Fís single parent and was told I was working so could afford to pay it myself. May be different for you but don't depend on them. Keep an eye on adverts jumbletown and other sites for what you need.

Yes I thought as much, it can't be that easy!!
    Congratulations on ur new home x
    Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I don't want to ask the council what comes with it until it's confirmed, don't want to come across as pushing. The council's in ireland are under enough stress with the housing crisis without me wanting to know what I get or been seen as greedy.
    I can understand why you don't want to come across as too pushy but I really can't see the housing officer considering a friendly and polite email requesting clarification on what you'll need to provide for the property yourself as pushy. (Especially if you phrase it as "what I need to provide" rather than "what do I get").

I've worked with a couple of the local authority housing departments and while they're genuinely busy, the staff tend to have a very high threshold for patience. They deal with some awful situations and some incredible ingrates on a daily basis, if anything, an email worded anything like your posts here would be a nice change for them.

I stress email as it lets them respond to you when they have a few minutes to fit you in. It's not going to be as fast a response as a phonecall but if you're worried about "staying on the right side" of the housing officer, that'd be the approach I'd recommend.

EDIT: I'd second the recommendation to keep an eye on adverts.ie, jumbletown, any local Facebook Buy/Sell groups. You can pick up a lot for free or small money and even if it's not ideal, it's easier to upgrade stuff as you can rather than to try and get everything perfect from the outset. TBH, it's the exact same whether you're council tennants or a first time buyer imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You get no appliances, The houses are shells.

You won't get any shower doors,Will be a bath with a shower head.

They don't tile any floors. Only tiles you'll see are around bath and kitchen walls, no splash backs in bathrooms. Lino on kitchen and bathroom floors.

If it's a private estate with some council houses allocated then they will be probably finished to the same spec as the others with tiled floors, if it's just a council estate everything i said in my post is what you get.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I can understand why you don't want to come across as too pushy but I really can't see the housing officer considering a friendly and polite email requesting clarification on what you'll need to provide for the property yourself as pushy. (Especially if you phrase it as "what I need to provide" rather than "what do I get").

I've worked with a couple of the local authority housing departments and while they're genuinely busy, the staff tend to have a very high threshold for patience. They deal with some awful situations and some incredible ingrates on a daily basis, if anything, an email worded anything like your posts here would be a nice change for them.

I stress email as it lets them respond to you when they have a few minutes to fit you in. It's not going to be as fast a response as a phonecall but if you're worried about "staying on the right side" of the housing officer, that'd be the approach I'd recommend.

EDIT: I'd second the recommendation to keep an eye on adverts.ie, jumbletown, any local Facebook Buy/Sell groups. You can pick up a lot for free or small money and even if it's not ideal, it's easier to upgrade stuff as you can rather than to try and get everything perfect from the outset. TBH, it's the exact same whether you're council tennants or a first time buyer imho.

Thanks for that info.. very much appreciated.

I will pop a nice little email over on Monday.

Best wishes

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

They don't tile any floors. Only tiles you'll see are around bath and kitchen walls, no splash backs in bathrooms. Lino on kitchen and bathroom floors.

If it's a private estate with some council houses allocated then they will be probably finished to the same spec as the others with tiled floors, if it's just a council estate everything i said in my post is what you get.

Thanks for that..

I kind of have a fair idea now what's ahead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Have you any idea where the houses are OP? Could you go up and have a peep in? That's what people used to do back in my day. :)

If there new builds especially you could just look in the windows.

pilly wrote: »
    Have you any idea where the houses are OP? Could you go up and have a peep in? That's what people used to do back in my day. :)

If there new builds especially you could just look in the windows.

Ha ha

Yes I know where the houses are and I have been up.. there is absolutely nothing inside, no walls just bare blocks and concrete floors... No floors upstairs at all only the joyces ( maybe I'm wrong with the name of that) but I can see up through the floor... No stairs even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

0ph0rce0 wrote:

Just standard Wooden floorboards upstairs.

No carpet on stairs just bare wood.Bathrooms will be tiled around bath only and most likely have lino on the floors, No shower doors, curtains, no electric shower.

This is exactly right. I got one a few years ago and that's how I got it. In fact the person who moved out of it before I moved in had to strip everything out of it and get it back to "council spec" which meant they had to tear out all the furnishings, tiles etc and get it back to the bare bones and paint every wall magnolia!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

superg wrote:
    This is exactly right. I got one a few years ago and that's how I got it. In fact the person who moved out of it before I moved in had to strip everything out of it and get it back to "council spec" which meant they had to tear out all the furnishings, tiles etc and get it back to the bare bones and paint every wall magnolia!

Really? I left a council house 13 years ago when I bought my present home. I had tiled the kitchen floor and the walls at the sink and range. Bathroom was tiled floor to ceiling by me. Every room a different colour scheme, carpets and timber flooring. House was well presented and when I handed back the keys I was complimented on its condition. The up side I received my 11,500 towards my new home.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Ha ha

Yes I know where the houses are and I have been up.. there is absolutely nothing inside, no walls just bare blocks and concrete floors... No floors upstairs at all only the joyces ( maybe I'm wrong with the name of that) but I can see up through the floor... No stairs even.

You'll see it taking shape as they get further on.

I agree with others here though, if it's council housing then it'll be the bare minimum so you should start with the essentials like a cooker and washing machine.

Don't stress too much about it though, you'd be surprised what people will give you as well when they learn you're moving into a new house.

Lots of people have stuff in sheds or storage etc. that they don't use but will be grand for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

nhunter100 wrote:
    Really? I left a council house 13 years ago when I bought my present home. I had tiled the kitchen floor and the walls at the sink and range. Bathroom was tiled floor to ceiling by me. Every room a different colour scheme, carpets and timber flooring. House was well presented and when I handed back the keys I was complimented on its condition. The up side I received my 11,500 towards my new home.

Yes she had the place lovely by all accounts, she moved to a bigger house in the same estate but she had to gut our one first and then go about sorting her new home out from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

superg wrote:
    Yes she had the place lovely by all accounts, she moved to a bigger house in the same estate but she had to gut our one first and then go about sorting her new home out from scratch.

News to me, maybe different councils have different expectations when taking back a property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sunsu2

Where you waiting 1 year or 3 years as in previous post of about to become lone parent?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

To my knowledge, you will get bare floors but the walls will be painted magnolia. As for the kitchen, you will get a fitted kitchen it won't be anything too expensive but the ones that I have seen are perfectly fine. There will not be any appliances.

You should pay a visit to your local social welfare officer and ask her if you are entitled to the grant. This grant would be used to pay for flooring, beds, wardrobes, dressers and kitchen appliances. It cannot be used for say a suite of furniture or anything like that, but just the basics. The amount you would get is dependant on how many of you there are, more people means more beds etc. I know you say that your husband is working but I would be surprised if you weren't at least entitled to something. Go down to your local clinic, that's the only way you will know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Jumbletown is no good same old posters and resellers grabbing everything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

It seems to vary quite a lot. My bro moved into a council 2 bed apartment in North dublin. The floors had laminate wood flooring throughout and tiles in the kitchen area. The bathroom and ensuite were fully tiled. The kitchen came with fridge/freezer, oven and hob.

He needed to sort everything else and got a small grant to help him, but mostly family and friends donated stuff to him. The grant paid for beds, a wardrobe and a microwave and kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

Council house after a year on the list? Wow, didn't know it was that quick

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It generally isn't unless you're on the Emergency or Medical lists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭irishfemme

I have been on the list for exactly 9 years, I was on RAS fixed transfer list for 7 of those 9 years. I was offered an apartment a week ago and I am super excited. I am a single mum of one and i work full time. Praying to at least get a tiny little bit of help towards furnishing from DSP, even though I wont hold my breathe.
    The apartment was bought by the council from the private market, so i was able to find the pictures online. I was told they had now coloured everything to magnolia and put in a new toilet. I have peeped through the doors and I can still find the red rug in there (from the images)
    The council have told me that they have a standard that they keep all their properties and cant let me have a look or leave the old things in there.
    I am assuming the red rug/carpet would be stripped, which I find a bit sad as it would be cheaper for me to wash it than buy a new one.
    The apartment from the pics come with inbuilt oven, cooker & a washing machine, Not certain if it will be left intact.
    All in all, the keys should be ready for me by month end (Assumption) I was told they were still working on it and it's not close to being ready. I will update you on what I find upon moving in and if I get an help from DSP.
    SDCC

Advertisement