Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Nintendo Classic Mini.

Options
  • 19-04-2017 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-19-sources-nintendo-to-launch-snes-mini-this-year
    Nintendo will follow up its smash hit NES microconsole with a mini version of the SNES, sources close to the company have confirmed to Eurogamer.

The SNES mini (or, to continue Nintendo's official branding, likely the Nintendo Classic Mini: Super Nintendo Entertainment System) is currently scheduled to launch in time for Christmas this year. Development of the device is already under way, our sources have indicated.

Nintendo's plans for SNES mini are also a major reason why last year's NES mini did not see a reprieve from discontinuation, Eurogamer understands, despite the latter's continued popularity and sell-out status.

I will pre order this the second it becomes available. Now, which games do you include cos SNES games are way than NES.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Their ability to print money is unparalleled. I love it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I am 100% getting this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Preordering this the nano-second it's announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Off the top of my head.

Super Mario World
    Yoshi's Island
    Zelda LTTP
    Star Fox
    F-Zero
    Super Metroid
    Them Donkey Kong games
    Mario RPG.
    Final Fantasy 4-6 (maybe?)
    Mega Man games
    Chrono Trigger (maybe)
    Mario Kart
    Contra
    Them Castlevania games
    Kirby stuff
    Pilotwings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sure I have a rasperry pi now, so you can stick it up the scalpers asses ninty :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Now that's a console I can get behind. And start grinding.

Better games, nicer controllers.... but they'll probably lock it down better than they did with the NES... decisions, decisions...

Maybe it's time to sell the NES mini at face value to a boardsie?
    And by face value, I mean specifically Claudia Schiffers face (assuming she didn't let the $5M insurance policy lapse)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Off the top of my head.

Super Mario World
    Yoshi's Island
    Zelda LTTP
    Star Fox
    F-Zero
    Super Metroid
    Them Donkey Kong games
    Mario RPG.
    Final Fantasy 4-6 (maybe?)
    Mega Man games
    Chrono Trigger (maybe)
    Mario Kart
    Contra
    Them Castlevania games
    Kirby stuff
    Pilotwings.

Super mario all stars might be worth a shot too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Won't miss out on this one. Can see there being even greater demand than for the NES

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

Instapurchase

(plus the US model, and the Jap model - I have terminal Nintendoitus)

• giphy.gif

I fecking told ya so! Nintendo know exactly what they are doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Needs at least 1 of Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Killer Instinct

Street Fighter 2
    Mortal Kombat 1
    &
    Killer Instinct would all have me buy this at a stupid high price in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Wouldn't they only put 1st party stuff on there to minimise issues with rights management and revenue? Besides, with MS owning Killer Instinct through Rare, Midway / WB never releasing Mortal Kombat on VC and with any of the better versions of SFII on Snes being in direct competition with the release on Switch that will likely cost as much as this console will I don't see any of the 3rd parties having a good reason to co-operate.

If they leave the back door open again though, holy ****!

You'd think, but there was a bunch of 3rd party stuff on the NES classic. And the SNES final fantasy games are available on a million consoles and mobile now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Will be interesting to see what games are on it, more so the quirkier ones, the likes of StarTropics that was on the NES. The expected ones should be there of course, the likes of LTTP, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong, and possibly Street Fighter. I think they would be safe enough putting on Street Fighter there even with the Switch release. It would have been 6 months out by then, and with it being a slightly cheaper (although still a bit too expensive) Switch release, it might even be cheaper again by the time the SNES mini comes round. I can see it being more expensive than the NES mini as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Would they engineer internet connectivity, Nintendo Accounts and downloadable games? I wouldn't put it past them...

20 built-in games - visit the eshop to download more.

They'll definitely lock it down so it can't be hacked as easily as the NCM, that's a dead certainty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What's the licencing like on the likes of Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, Secret of Mana, Battletoads, Super Castlevania and Super Metroid now a days, contra and earthbound too would be super. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 be the best snes version, the roster was great.

Isn't battletoads Rare's thing? I think it's on that Rare Replay thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I want the American one and the European one.

fry_drooling.gif

Ya Battletoads is Rares. Would have been funny people playing it on the SNES mini and yanking the 1 foot controller cord, throwing the system across the room after dying on the Turbo Tunnel for the 4567th time.

I'm sure there will be quite a few third party games on it though, just like there was on the NES. Lot of companies best games were from that period too so certainly won't hurt them to get their games out there.

• Advertisement

Isn't battletoads Rare's thing? I think it's on that Rare Replay thing.

Hence my question, double dragon too would be great, no sports games f-zero and clay fighters need to be on it. Megaman X too, damn damn damn let this be real please xenu let this be real.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

People are gonna horde these when they come out, even if they increase the amount they produce it will probably be harder to get your hands on then the NES, the shortage of the NES version was well highlighted in the media and we have seen the crazy prices people have been willing to pay for one.

I'm buying two for everyone in my crazy mind, that's 84 of them if anyone's keeping count

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Do ye think it will be a limited run like the NES - I was a megadrive and gameboy kid but bought a SNES to play Streetfighter and Mario - best decision I ever made - still have it to this day - boxed and no yellowing - love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I wonder will they have a mini scope!!

As for being hackable, surely they don't care, considering you can't buy any software for it. Like once you buy the console, thats the max money you're gonna pay to Nintendo, so whether you hack it or not, it isn't gonna cost Nintendo any money.

The_B_Man wrote: »

As for being hackable, surely they don't care, considering you can't buy any software for it. Like once you buy the console, thats the max money you're gonna pay to Nintendo, so whether you hack it or not, it isn't gonna cost Nintendo any money.

Ya I don't think the hacking makes all that much difference to them, you'd still have to buy the unit to put them on. The only time it may come into play is if they planned to release other units with more games on them, which seems unlikely. They even left a message in the source code for hackers anyway so they would have been well aware of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The_B_Man wrote: »

They sell NES/SNES games for the Virtual Console, so they would be losing money if people hacked it like the NES mini and downloaded games on to it that they would have to pay for otherwise.

Of course there is a lot of other easier ways to get those games, but some people still do pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm sleeping outside gamestop from tonight til preorders go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

jester77 wrote: »
    Needs at least 1 of Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat/Killer Instinct

Yes, one of all the different ones of all them would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Striker

Advertisement