Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Nintendo Classic Mini.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That is a weird autocorrect. Slap. Although now I feel bad for slapping the games when I could have been soaping them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,133 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Some people blow in the cart. Banjo uses soap. No one's judging. Except CiDeRmAn. He's always judging.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Some people blow in the cart. Banjo uses soap. No one's judging. Except CiDeRmAn. He's always judging.

That's not fair!
    That implies that I fit the stereotypical Moderator, as typically portrayed by the habitually banned users who go on to bitch and blame on Reddit!

Cops don't like me.... And I... Don't... Like... Cops....

Ooooh bans bans bans! Cmon, Cidey, Street Fighter II is playing *slappity slap slap* tonight! And I never miss a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Anyone else very bored of their SNES Classic Mini?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

dulpit wrote: »

Not yet, though that said, I've yet to actually play it :o I find these days I rotate between current gen and retro, one at a time. It's so easy to be overwhelmed by choice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I have completed Donkey Kong...and started a few other games..... I need to start putting in big hours......I was quite into F zero for a while to......then I went back to Mario kart and it seemed so slow.... and yeah I think a few others have said it...star fox hasn't aged well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Lucky old Japan is getting a double pack of Famicom and Super Famicom Mini.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/30/17796050/japan-nes-snes-classic-edition-bundle-famicom

Screen_Shot_2018_08_30_at_12.19.54_PM.0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Lucky old Japan is getting a double pack of Famicom and Super Famicom Mini.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/30/17796050/japan-nes-snes-classic-edition-bundle-famicom

Screen_Shot_2018_08_30_at_12.19.54_PM.0.png

WE HAVE BEEN BETRAYED !!!!!!!!!!!

WE HAVE BEEN BETRAYED !!!!!!!!!!!

What now?

• Advertisement

Goodbye individually packed Japanese NES
    Though I never imported you at all
    I always checked eBay listings
    And that 2nd hand store in the mall

Even when you went out of stock
    Oh, I bookmarked your playasia page
    But now you're bundled with a SNES
    And every previous customer has been raped

An' it seems to me you lived your shelf life
    Like an amiibo kept pristine
    One day valuable like a Zelda or a one legged Peach
    But now you're worth **** all and my investments ruined
    Like a Tom nook that I bought in Smyth's
    Or a Microsoft Zu-ooh-ooh-une

Flickering_candle_9b44d2e1-c319-425f-96dc-516e274dda74_grande.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Iambic Pentameter poetry only please.

That Tom Nook amiibo will haunt you always and forever

Thinking of picking up a snes mini for a gaming club I'm trying to set up

I've a SNES Mini and a Famicom Mini, neither of.which appear to have changed in anyway following the news of this combination pack.
    No word on pricing, it will at least get the systems into the hands of more fans and confound the scalpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I played Mario kart to death and some fzero. But def not playing as much as I used to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

and confound the scalpers.

That depends on the numbers. Hopefully you're correct, but with Nintendo I'm always a bit cynical of the 'scarcity' model they seem to have going on. At times, they're scalpers best friends!

I've a SNES Mini and a Famicom Mini, neither of.which appear to have changed in anyway following the news of this combination pack.
    No word on pricing, it will at least get the systems into the hands of more fans and confound the scalpers.

These if released will always end up in scalpers hands especially at Christmas which is when I'd guess it'll be released I have been dead for about 6 years now as far as what my rep is was or etc etc will grab one myself if I can as I'm getting a autism support group together I think and one of these would be a great thing to have for people to use. Although I'll probably hog it playing Zelda or Secret of Mana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Nes and snes mini haven't been turned on in months. Even then it was too have a couple of go's of Mario cart.. no where near as good as i remember..

Still can't bring myself to sell them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Peatys wrote: »
    Nes and snes mini haven't been turned on in months. Even then it was too have a couple of go's of Mario cart.. no where near as good as i remember..

Still can't bring myself to sell them though.

Sold mine on adverts today, took about 5 minutes for someone to ask for it.

The nostalgia goggles didn't work, the more I played the more I realised that these old games are not great.

If youre not using them donate them to local kids hospital I'm sure they'd put it to good use

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I don't really get the whole 'Because I didn't play it much now it means the games weren't actually that great' It's more a personal nostalgia not having the same effect now really. I never thought I'd play the SNES mini etc as much as I originally played the SNES, just a nice option to play through now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think it depends on the game. I still personally feel Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 6 and Super Mario World hold up but Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country and even Street Fighter 2 just don't holdup as much anymore.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the game. I still personally feel Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 6 and Super Mario World hold up but Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country and even Street Fighter 2 just don't holdup as much anymore.

:eek:

For me at least, Super Mario Kart was superseded by Mario Kart Super Circuit on the GBA, same 2D style but with lots more content.
    Star Fox runs better on a NTSC console and the Snes Mini matches that.
    But the gameplay has aged a bit, but it's still fun, though that's entirely subjective!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

The Battle mode on Mario Kart SNES still is the best IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the lack of discussion on this might actually tell me all I need to know :)

Thinking of asking Santa to bring this for me. Well, kind of for me, but also for the kids. The eldest enjoys the Wii, but she still has some difficulty with the concept of needing to move both hands; using the nunchuck and the remote together often poses a challenge. She does well with Mario Kart, but still having to move her whole body to turn the car, can be tricky. Basically when she gets excited, she's up on her feet and bouncing around the place constantly. When your controller is based on an accelerometer, this complicates things :D

So I'm thinking that the simplicity of the Snes controller might be more up her alley for the time being. And I've a smaller one who'll probably start poking at buttons in the next 12 months.

In short, is it worth €80?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What age are your kids?

I think it's definitely worth it. If you're a little bit technical, you can load it up with extra SNES games too (up to about 80) and you can even add in games from other consoles like the Megadrive, Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

its worth it to me for sure, there are ways to get all the SNES games on it too that i wont link to here. (its easy). Only thing id recommend is getting the extension cables for the controllers as the wires are very short.You can get these on amazon etc. I play mine all the time.
    Mr E wrote: »
    you can load it up with extra SNES games too (up to about 80) and you can even add in games from other consoles like the Megadrive, Gameboy and Gameboy Advance.

I actually have hundreds on mine, i cant remember exactly but way more than 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

seamus wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread, but the lack of discussion on this might actually tell me all I need to know :)

Thinking of asking Santa to bring this for me. Well, kind of for me, but also for the kids. The eldest enjoys the Wii, but she still has some difficulty with the concept of needing to move both hands; using the nunchuck and the remote together often poses a challenge. She does well with Mario Kart, but still having to move her whole body to turn the car, can be tricky. Basically when she gets excited, she's up on her feet and bouncing around the place constantly. When your controller is based on an accelerometer, this complicates things :D

So I'm thinking that the simplicity of the Snes controller might be more up her alley for the time being. And I've a smaller one who'll probably start poking at buttons in the next 12 months.

In short, is it worth €80?

Absolutely.
    My 2 girls love mine, they're 4 and 9. They prefer the SNES to the NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I actually have hundreds on mine, i cant remember exactly but way more than 80.

Using folders I assume? I've heard that there are issues with more than about 80 on the main carousel...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh it automatically puts them into folders alphabetically . I haven’t seen any issues on my own to be honest. They play fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

I don't know if it will be an issue, but for me there was a big element of nostalgia in with this console, I love 2D games, side scrollers and pixel art. But also my first console was the SNES. My brother on the other hand (6 years younger than me) had no love for the art style, struggled with the 2D games, and got very frustrated with the difficulty in some of the side scrollers. His first console would have been the PS2, so he doesn't seem too interested in these games.

So I suppose a factor may be what they have been exposed to at this point. They may find the graphics too dated and the difficulty too much, but equally they might not have any expectations and take to the games the way I did as a child. As long as they aren't expecting fortnite you should be okay!

Advertisement