Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super Nintendo Classic Mini.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Are people going to complain about scalpers skewing the market with no insight into their own hoarding behaviour?
    Can't wait!!

We had the same phenom as with the Nes Mini with most of the really big Ninty releases back in the day.

You'd see the release of OoT on the N64, they'd all be there, packed onto the shelves behind the counter at the start of December, tons of them.
    Then the dopes would wander in on the 24th of Dec and wonder where they all went.
    Then bitch and moan about not being able to get one and that it was everyone else's fault, from the shop to Nintendo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Are people going to complain about scalpers skewing the market with no insight into their own hoarding behaviour?
    Can't wait!!

Steve X2 is gonna love you :D

In all seriousness, you can just as easily flip the coin and say if Nintendo restocked these there'd be no scalping going on either. The supply of these was SO low, from day 1, these were always going to be a scalpers dream. I doubt the amount of genuine collectors/completionists buying these is anywhere comparable to the amount of scalpers buying crates of them to profit off of.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But they never had to.
    Nintendo were under no moral obligation to make more Nes Classic Mini consoles.
    It would have been great if they did, but I wonder how many more they were ever likely to sell.
    If we had seen a full stock going forward through 2017, would the device have remained in demand, particularly after everyone who wanted one had one.

But they never had to.
    Nintendo were under no moral obligation to make more Nes Classic Mini consoles.

No moral obligation whatsoever (not that giant conglomerates operate on morality to begin with, why would they). It'd have made good business sense to get another manufacturing run going though, I mean, there was WORLDWIDE demand for these things - they were like hens teeth from Dublin to Denver.
    It would have been great if they did, but I wonder how many more they were ever likely to sell.

Given the seemingly ever present demand, I'm willing to bet they'd have sold considerably more - thus putting the money back into Nintendo's hands, as opposed to the "bloke down the pub" types who've made a chunk of change off of these. Whatever didn't sell after the demand died off, would be sure to sell next Christmas anyway.
    If we had seen a full stock going forward through 2017, would the device have remained in demand, particularly after everyone who wanted one had one.

Hard to know how long the demand would last, and the trick I suppose is to make at least as much as you can sell - Ninty were way off here. I really don't believe a shred of blame can be put on people who bought two of these simply because they're fans of the company. Similarly, the low run was a guaranteed ticket for scalpers, and even they probably couldn't buy as many as they'd have liked! For me, I believe the run was just stupidly low to begin with, and that can only be a Nintendo thing - joe soap has nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

What's the licencing like on the likes of Chrono Trigger, Turtles in Time, Secret of Mana, Battletoads, Super Castlevania and Super Metroid now a days, contra and earthbound too would be super. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 be the best snes version, the roster was great.

Well chrono trigger is square, but chrono triggers available on a lot of different systems now. Turtles is apparently Konami. Mana is also square now, battletoads is rare, and castlevania is of course, Konami. Super Metroid has been released on 3 or 4 different virtual consoles now, so I'd be surprised if that wasn't there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Mr E wrote: »
    Would they engineer internet connectivity, Nintendo Accounts and downloadable games? I wouldn't put it past them...

20 built-in games - visit the eshop to download more.

They'll definitely lock it down so it can't be hacked as easily as the NCM, that's a dead certainty.

I'd be surprised if they bothered with downloadable games - that could potentially lose them game sales on Switch (assuming they've actually implemented VC on it by the time the Snes Mini comes out). My guess would be this will cost more to buy than the NES mini and they'll probably have a bigger production run knowing it will still sell out. But it'll be a limited run again.

Sounds like I'm among the minority again not being interested in getting one at all. Have the original, have a Pi3, waste of money getting these yokes in that case imo. :D

At least everyone that wants one has a decent heads up this time though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you do a bit of research which seems to be beyond most so called professional journalist outfits the issue with the NES mini isn't that Nintendo don't like money but an issue procuring essential components for the system. Apparently one source was damaged in an earthquake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you do a bit of research which seems to be beyond most so called professional journalist outfits the issue with the NES mini isn't that Nintendo don't like money but an issue procuring essential components for the system. Apparently one source was damaged in an earthquake.
    Oh, source? Can't seem to find anything about that at all.

Inviere wrote: »
    Hard to know how long the demand would last, and the trick I suppose is to make at least as much as you can sell - Ninty were way off here. I really don't believe a shred of blame can be put on people who bought two of these simply because they're fans of the company. Similarly, the low run was a guaranteed ticket for scalpers, and even they probably couldn't buy as many as they'd have liked! For me, I believe the run was just stupidly low to begin with, and that can only be a Nintendo thing - joe soap has nothing to do with it.

I suppose the risk was that, as an ongoing product, it could have sunk in the mire that the Megadrive clones occupy, that of a mere toy and stocking filler.
    I know that the quality of the emulation on those little Sega/@tGames devices is substandard, but the typical buyer just sees a nostalgia trip regardless of accuracy, and buys it, but then how many must they sell these days, pieces of sh1te that they are.
    I'll 'fess up, I've owned one or two and they've all been disappointing, but I don't that has anything to do with the sales.
    A Nes Mini Classic would have inevitably come to occupy similar space, not to mention dilute the market for Virtual Console titles, rather than the teaser for Nintendo products that it seems to have been.

Roll on the Snes Mini Classic!
    Pre-ordering just one, just for me, promise!

A Nes Mini Classic would have inevitably come to occupy similar space, not to mention dilute the market for Virtual Console titles, rather than the teaser for Nintendo products that it seems to have been

That's the thing though, if it was an intentionally low production run, the 'blame' doesn't lie with the few people who have bought two of them, nor does it even lie with scalpers - it was an intentionally made decision by Nintendo and the result has lined the pockets of scalpers and kept units out of the hands of genuine fans as a result.

If it wasn't intentional, and as a result of manufacturing issues/earthquakes (haven't seen anything written about that), then why announce a discontinuation of the product? Why not do another run when the issues are resolved?

• Advertisement

Reminds me of Nino Kuni, on the PS3.
    I ended up paying a guy €60 for the game, in a Swords filling station, because there just weren't enough of the game produced!

So, yeah, I understand that the console could have done with a further run, but I think it did get a further run, didn't it?
    As a Nintendo fan of some years now, I would have liked to have seen the device continue to be available, and only cease with the release of the replacement this Autumn.

Who knows, they may completely confound expectations and include NES/Famicom games as an option on the Snes/Super Famicom Mini... which would be nice!

Indeed, they might even do another run of the Nes ones when the Snes one goes into production....same innards really, just a different shell I'd imagine.

Inviere wrote: »
    Indeed, they might even do another run of the Nes ones when the Snes one goes into production....same innards really, just a different shell I'd imagine.

koopa-troopa-red-green-pixel-art.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-xbox-e3-survey-mentions-nintendo-snes-classic-edition
    A Microsoft survey for Xbox Live Reward members has mentioned Nintendo's unannounced SNES Classic Edition microconsole.

Nintendo has so far said nothing about a follow-up to last year's smash-hit miniature NES, but Eurogamer sources have heard that the SNES Mini is indeed being planned for launch - as soon as this Christmas.

In a question that asks about the E3 announcements Xbox fans are most looking forward to, Microsoft listed the SNES Mini alongside its own Xbox Project Scorpio, plus reveals for the PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

So what 20 games would you like to see, here's my list. It's not my 20 favorite snes games and I've excluded Japan only releases, I tried to include some co-op games and have a decent mix of genres.

Super Mario All stars + world
    Super Mario kart
    Street fighter 2 turbo
    Sunset Riders
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy 6
    Yoshi's Island
    Super Metroid
    Super Punch out
    Zelda link to the past
    Starfox
    Super Mario RPG
    Secret of Mana
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Megaman X
    TMNT 4: Turtles in time
    EarthBound
    Zombies ate my neighbours
    Super Aleste / Space Megaforce
    Super Castlevania 4
    Contra 3
    F-Zero
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts
    Terranigma
    Final Fight 3
    Demon's Crest
    Wild Guns
    U.N. Squadron
    R Type III - Third lightning
    Kirby Superstar

A real tough choice for the developers. I hope licencing issues don't become a big problem.

Edit: Had to add another 10! Thought the nes only had 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Striker... It has to have Striker!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

To add to whats already up, Clayfighter, Ranma 1/2, separation anxiety, maximum carnage, iss, breath of fire, lufia.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,132 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Would they be allowed Killer Instinct and Street Fighter?

Super Soccer, if only because I think I set a record for the quickest sending off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Pilotwings
    Super Tennis
    Super Mario World
    SF2 Turbo
    Secret of Mana
    Earthbound
    Chrono Trigger
    Final Fantasy VI
    Zelda: A link to the past
    Kirbys Avalanche
    Super Mario Kart
    Turtles in Time
    Shadowrun
    Super Metroid
    Donkey Kong Country 2
    Killer Instinct
    Super Punch Out
    F Zero
    Super Castlevania IV
    Contra III
    Yoshi's Island
    NBA Jam Tournament Edition
    Super Star Wars trilogy
    NHL 94
    R-Type III
    Sim City
    Star Fox
    International Superstar Soccer Deluxe
    Super Double Dragon
    Super Bomberman 2

No doubt some classics I've missed. And just reinforces what I've always said: SNES = best console of all time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Terranigma
    Arcana
    Earthbound
    Breath of Fire
    Illusion of Time
    Ogre Battle
    Drakkhen
    Final Fantasy 4
    Final Fantasy 5
    Final Fantasy 6
    Super Mario RPG
    Shadowrun
    Seiken Densetsu 2
    Chrono Trigger
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Paladins Quest
    7th Saga
    Secret of Evermore
    Lufia II
    Lagoon

Just looking at people's lists, what a cracking machine the snes was...truly the golden age of gaming

No blast processing though....

Nomad (with screen and battery mod) FTW!!
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

No blast processing though....

Nomad (with screen and battery mod) FTW!!
    giphy.gif

Mode 7, biznitches...

:)

How do you think we got the lovely rope swinging animations in Castlevania?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Who was the best supplier for pre ordering the NES mini? I got lucky getting one in Argos after the initial release. Want to make sure I get a SNES mini at launch. So many good memories of the SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 48,246 ✭✭✭✭km79

Synode wrote: »
    Who was the best supplier for pre ordering the NES mini? I got lucky getting one in Argos after the initial release. Want to make sure I get a SNES mini at launch. So many good memories of the SNES

NOT ZAVVI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Danick

Synode wrote: »

Nintendo.co.uk - might arrive day after release because of postal service but if you preorder early with them then you son't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

And there it is.....

Starfox 2! and 2 controllers as well.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/879369032947847168

Full List of Games (US)

Contra III: The Alien Wars™
    Donkey Kong Country™
    EarthBound™
    Final Fantasy III
    F-ZERO™
    Kirby™ Super Star
    Kirby’s Dream Course™
    The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past™
    Mega Man® X
    Secret of Mana
    Star Fox™
    Star Fox™ 2
    Street Fighter® II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
    Super Castlevania IV™
    Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts®
    Super Mario Kart™
    Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars™
    Super Mario World™
    Super Metroid™
    Super Punch-Out!! ™
    Yoshi’s Island™

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Corholio wrote: »

I saw that, not up for pre order anywhere yet, checked Amazon and Nintendo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Here comes the madness. Wonder if they'll made more than 29 this time around.

Advertisement