Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Nintendo Classic Mini.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I ordered off Smyths a few hours after release but from reading previous posts I realise this is not for certain a done deal. In peoples experience of order cancellations of the Nes Mini, how late in the game was it until any vendor told you product was unavailable?

Don't ask Sligeach about Zavvi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't ask Sligeach about Zavvi :D

At least start with some small talk. Just some general chat about Amiibo or the Switch till he warms to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Danick

What's this? Is it a special Pi case? Got a link?

Yes - it's the best pi case of them all - got it from the states from Shirtpunch - I then followed Simply Austin's youtube video about fitting pi and software - his Sega Menu system is superb.

Case -https://www.shirtpunch.com/sega-genesis-usb-hub

(You have to modify the case a bit - I used a dremmel)

Simply Austin Mini Genesis you tube vid -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFUxdSU1S8&t=647s

Enjoy - I love mine and have both my mini nes and mini Genesis side by side on my gaming desk - can't wait to have my mini snes in Sept!

Just bought one on eBay for £40!! :D Thanks for the heads up.

Brill - follow this vid to create the ultimate mini Sega Genesis -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqFUxdSU1S8&t=647s

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Banjo wrote: »
    At least start with some small talk. Just some general chat about Amiibo or the Switch till he warms to you...
    fr4Rrn.gif

faceman wrote: »
    It's disappointing to read of people pre-ordering 3+ of this. I get 2 if one is a gift but anything above that is unnecessary and limiting access for others to pre-order. I know most people here have good intentions but just my thoughts around it. (Not dissing anyone)

That being said, for as long as Amazon continue to use An Post for deliveries I will never order or pre-order anything from them again

I have 4 pre-orders put in (Amazon, Gamestop, Smyths and Nintendo UK). I need one for myself and another as a gift.

I do feel uncomfortable about it but I justify it to myself by the fact I'm pretty sure one of the four will get cancelled. Also it's not like I pre-ordered ten of them from each retailer. Once I get the two I need into my hands I'll either cancel the others or sell them here at cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

faceman wrote: »
    It's disappointing to read of people pre-ordering 3+ of this. I get 2 if one is a gift but anything above that is unnecessary and limiting access for others to pre-order. I know most people here have good intentions but just my thoughts around it. (Not dissing anyone)

That being said, for as long as Amazon continue to use An Post for deliveries I will never order or pre-order anything from them again

Was always going to be this way after the way so many people were let down with the Nes Mini. Multiple preordering is definitely adding to the problem, but people just aren't going to risk being burned again...and looking at the scalping prices, who can blame them? Comments from Nintendo saying these are for 2017 only certainly don't help...it's like Nintendo WANT scalpers to earn a packet, instead of, y'know, actually making a decent amount of these into next year if needs be.

I don't think scalpers will win this time round - the Mini Nes came out of nowhere - very rare these days - it had no competition - in fact it even boosted sales of the terrible AT Games Megadrive clone.

This time however it will have strong competition - The Switch will be on a lot of kids wishlists so that narrows it down somewhat to retro gamers and the like. Secondly non gaming family members never know much about these things and if they learn that the mini snes is out of stock then they will buy an Atari Flashback or AT Games forthcoming version of the Megadrive.

Shops like Smyths and Argos will be full of cancelled orders - the only reason pre-orders are selling out so fast is because of the fear of not getting one - you can be guaranteed that whichever company comes through first for people - be it Amazon, Gamestop, Argos or Smyths then there will be a slew of cancelled orders.

IMHO I think Scalpers will end up with a lot of unwanted stock - the Mini Nes was a golden moment in time for them - I don't think it can ever be repeated by the SNES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Danick wrote: »
    I don't think scalpers will win this time round - the Mini Nes came out of nowhere - very rare these days - it had no competition - in fact it even boosted sales of the terrible AT Games Megadrive clone.

This time however it will have strong competition - The Switch will be on a lot of kids wishlists so that narrows it down somewhat to retro gamers and the like. Secondly non gaming family members never know much about these things and if they learn that the mini snes is out of stock then they will buy an Atari Flashback or AT Games forthcoming version of the Megadrive.

Shops like Smyths and Argos will be full of cancelled orders - the only reason pre-orders are selling out so fast is because of the fear of not getting one - you can be guaranteed that whichever company comes through first for people - be it Amazon, Gamestop, Argos or Smyths then there will be a slew of cancelled orders.

IMHO I think Scalpers will end up with a lot of unwanted stock - the Mini Nes was a golden moment in time for them - I don't think it can ever be repeated by the SNES.

I don't agree with this.
    The snes carries with it a huge nostalgia element.
    It was the console to have back then. When I think back it's always the snes I think of first and it holds a lot of memories for people of the generation who started gaming with a snes.
    People are going to want this just as bad as the nes if not more so.
    When the nes mini was announced my first thought was "please let there be a snes mini also".
    Also the limited production run will add to this.
    I have 2 pre ordered, 1 for myself and one to put away and forget I have it for 10 years or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

s15r330 wrote: »
    one to put away and forget I have it for 10 years or so.

why would you do this :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Banjo wrote: »
    jaysus, where do you live? Balamory? You are definitely outside the Pale with that kind of service!

There have been issues receently with Amazon deliveries, either end to end Asendia or Asendia for the uk section handing off to an post - delays, losses and poor communication, in the main.

I'm in the sthicks in the midlands - must be very lucky with our postman so !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I was clearing out the car last night and I found a bag of sour jellies from my holiday last year. I was overjoyed, even if they were a little too old for me to eat (I ate one to confirm). I can only imagine the feeling would be amplified 10 times if they had been 10 years old. And if they were SNESes instead of sour Rabbid jellies, that's gotta be good for another 5x multiplier. So you would do "this" for 15x the joy of finding a 1 year old bag of mostly inedible jellies.

And the fact it'll be worth 10x as much eh? ;)

I don't agree with this.
    The snes carries with it a huge nostalgia element.
    It was the console to have back then. When I think back it's always the snes I think of first and it holds a lot of memories for people of the generation who started gaming with a snes.
    People are going to want this just as bad as the nes if not more so.
    When the nes mini was announced my first thought was "please let there be a snes mini also".
    Also the limited production run will add to this.
    I have 2 pre ordered, 1 for myself and one to put away and forget I have it for 10 years or so.

Point taken - well made - lets just hope the scalpers don't win again - I suppose I came late to the Snes party as I had a megadrive first and bought a Snes for Mario and streetfighter 2 - I had R-type and Mario Kart for it too - how I wish R-Type was included on the new mini snes.

@Theboinkmaster I can't seem to quote multiple posts on mobile.
    But i'd do that as I don't have kids yet, probably will start in the next couple of years. I'd hope they'd love the old Nintendo stuff so it'd be cool to have something like that for them when they'd be old enough to appreciate it
    Point taken - well made - lets just hope the scalpers don't win again - I suppose I came late to the Snes party as I had a megadrive first and bought a Snes for Mario and streetfighter 2 - I had R-type and Mario Kart for it too - how I wish R-Type was included on the new mini snes.

Hopefully they don't but I would be surprised if they don't.
    My first console was an Atari 2600 and then I got a nes new but its the snes that stands out for me as the one with the most memories.
    I suppose you can always mod it after?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

But in 10 years time consoles will be totally dead and considered uncool and unfashionable "baby's toys", and we'll all have moved on to virtual reality holodeck simulators. :pac:

But in 10 years time consoles will be totally dead and considered uncool and unfashionable "baby's toys", and we'll all have moved on to virtual reality holodeck simulators. :pac:

Retro will always be cool!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retro will always be cool!

It's the wrong forum, the cool kids are at the Arcade and Retro forum!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Only one mention of UN Squadron in this entire thread. What's wrong with you people!?!?

Regarding the discussion of hacking the system (assuming they haven't locked it down), I'm betting they use the same size flash drive as the NES Mini thus limiting the number of roms that could be put on it.

... which is a good thing. If you do add roms, just add the ten or so extra that they've excluded as you will appreciate the machine more and USE it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I don't really agree

SNES holds unreal nostalgia for 30 something year olds like myself who lived on it as kids. NES held memories for me to but the SNES was the big one for me. I still bought a NES mini though despite owning a working original NES. I really want this SNES mini more then I did with the NES mini. It's a different league of want this time round.

I think scalpers may unfortunately have some success with this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭surrealname

I see smyths are out of stock again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Are we to take it the N64 mini is coming next year? When will it end?? Gamecube mini??? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The wii mini mini?
    The wiiu mini or I mean switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,765 ✭✭✭Inviere

Batesy wrote: »
    Are we to take it the N64 mini is coming next year? When will it end?? Gamecube mini??? :D

I'd say the N64 Mini is a near certainty...after that though things get very tricky. I think hardware on that scale will need to come on a bit before taking GC level processing.

I'm gonna say... GBA Mini seems obvious! Maybe they'll give it a wee upgrade like they did with the VC pokemon games so they can put the pokemon games with trading in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Inviere wrote: »
    I'd say the N64 Mini is a near certainty...after that though things get very tricky. I think hardware on that scale will need to come on a bit before taking GC level processing.

Yeah, I agree. The capacity of the gamecube discs were a big jump up too. They'd want to keep the price point low aswell.
    Would be great if they made a mini with room for say 5 games and an official online repository for us to download and swap games in and out.

A 'if you can't beat them join them' scenario for hackers.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭fixXxer

OwaynOTT wrote:
    The wiiu mini or I mean switch

That's too real man, too real.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hyblaeus

https://twitter.com/nintendhome/status/880076204245745665

Apparently 160,000 SNES minis will be available in France at launch. Judging by my calculations if a similar amount were shipped to Ireland according to our population, it could mean that over 11,000 SNES minis could be available for launch in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,363 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Imagine how small a Gamecube mini would be considering the original size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Had a quick look in local Gamestop today and they were advertising the SNES Mini pretty heavily on their advertising screens. I imagine they wouldn't need/want to advertise these if they were getting quite low stock, but just complete guess on that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Hyblaeus wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/nintendhome/status/880076204245745665

Apparently 160,000 SNES minis will be available in France at launch. Judging by my calculations if a similar amount were shipped to Ireland according to our population, it could mean that over 11,000 SNES minis could be available for launch in Ireland.

I think Ireland's allocated amount is part of the the UK though. It's UK and Ireland well except when your buying from Nintendo. I'd say a few to several thousand available in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Pre ordered mine off Smyths. Hopefully the bastards can fulfil all of the orders.

I'm happy with the list of games, but a few I would've loved included:
    Zombies ate my neighbours
    Cybernator
    Robocop 2
    Turtles in Time
    Mortal Kombat 3
    Killer Instinct
    Dk Country 2 & 3
    Mario All-stars

And purely out of a strange morbid fascination I've had with it since I first played it, Rise of the Robots. There is something compellingly terrible about that dreadful game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just bought one on eBay for £40!! :D Thanks for the heads up.

Which on his it. Share please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drux

5 foot cable length on joypads thats about the height of your average grey alien , the benevolent ones that abductees describe seeing not the ominous ****ers with an agenda that usually resemble a big praying mantis of 10 feet , now that would be a proper cable length

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Drux

Why , why do they limit these so much , we are begging them like starving little jack russels in a pit begging to chomp at the bit, just a tiny voice calling out in the storm while they sit on the big corporate thone cackling , well **** them

Which on his it. Share please :)

This is the one I bought. There are cheaper ones but lower feedback scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I would also buy an N64 mini but that would be it for me then. Gamecube ownership was an overall bitter experience and they would surely struggle to find enough truly classic games to bundle it with, even Mario Sunshine was one of the poorest of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Are we to take it the N64 mini is coming next year? When will it end?? :D

Imagine the games!, majoras mask, OOT, mario 64, but no banjo kazooie or goldeneye :(

But the N64 controller is so terrible they'd have to fix that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

But the N64 controller is so terrible they'd have to fix that.

I loved it! At the time the control stick was revolutionary, like a joystick for the thumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Anyone think they'll be more orders?

Late to the party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nintendo said there'll be signifant more supply than the nes mini. I'm not panicked none of the places doing pre-orders know how much stock there getting so they have to be careful on how many orders they take just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Meez 2017

Hi anyone know will argos be doing pre orders or have i any chance of getting one maybe 2 as a gift for xmas ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Meez 2017 wrote: »
    Hi anyone know will argos be doing pre orders or have i any chance of getting one maybe 2 as a gift for xmas ..?

Apparently, yes (if it’s done in UK, will be done here)

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/822469/SNES-Classic-Mini-pre-order-UPDATE-Argos-Super-Nintendo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Meez 2017 wrote: »

You can't pre-order items from Argos in Ireland, only the UK site, try the various Amazons, Smyths or Gamestop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Im thinking of canceling my 500 pre orders after finding out Nintendo have not included every game ever made for the snes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,645 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Im thinking of canceling my 500 pre orders after finding out Nintendo have not included every game ever made for the snes.

No sense of irony from those who complained about the lack of stock on the previous Classic Mini system, who then run out and pre-order multiples this time.

"Oh No, Amazon have somehow run out of stock...."

If the Snes Mini doesn't have the precise game you want, go buy a Snes and buy the damn game, like normal people do!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No sense of irony from those who complained about the lack of stock on the previous Classic Mini system, who then run out and pre-order multiples this time.

"Oh No, Amazon have somehow run out of stock...."

If the Snes Mini doesn't have the precise game you want, go buy a Snes and buy the damn game, like normal people do!

I think most people would play the game they wanted on a poor quality emulator/app these days, rather than buy the game :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I just bought a three pack of SNES USB controllers from amazon fr for €15.

I'll use them on the retropie and get the inevitable rip of Star Fox 2 when available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I just bought a three pack of SNES USB controllers from amazon fr for €15.

I'll use them on the retropie and get the inevitable rip of Star Fox 2 when available.

And probably only play it once for about 5 minutes

• Advertisement
Advertisement