Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Athenry, commute to Galway city east.

Options
  • 19-04-2017 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I am looking into buying a house in Athenry and wondering about the realities of the daily work commute. What would traffic be like if aiming for a 9am start in Renmore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

You will fly in the motorway no bother until you hit the dual carriageway at the end of the motorway. Generally this backs up, as do all the roads between there and Renmore. Realistically its not a bad commute and should take at most about 45 mins I would think. Then obviously there are days when for no apparent reason traffic is worse than normal and it may take longer. On the other hand, when the schools are off you would probably do it in 25 mins most mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How deep into Renmore? Would www.Buslink.ie be any good for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazyhorse

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    You will fly in the motorway no bother until you hit the dual carriageway at the end of the motorway. Generally this backs up, as do all the roads between there and Renmore. Realistically its not a bad commute and should take at most about 45 mins I would think. Then obviously there are days when for no apparent reason traffic is worse than normal and it may take longer. On the other hand, when the schools are off you would probably do it in 25 mins most mornings.

Thanks. So I'd want to leave Athenry town soon after 8am to be in comfortably for 9am? How about the return trip in the evening 5-6pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭crazyhorse

How deep into Renmore? Would www.Buslink.ie be any good for you?

Buslink could suit for mornings but I'd be tied to work some evenings and bus times would not always suit

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

My advice would be, if you have the option of flexi time or starting early, avail of it. Getting in could take up to 30-40 mins. In the evening it is not too bad. It depends where in Renmore you are coming from but if you are trying to get onto Bother na dTreabh, it would take 20-25 mins tops to get to Athenry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Train to town. 409 bus out towards renmore

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

crazyhorse wrote: »
    Thanks. So I'd want to leave Athenry town soon after 8am to be in comfortably for 9am? How about the return trip in the evening 5-6pm?

I cant imagine it taking an hour but maybe at the beginning until you get used to the commute it might be about right, it all depends how far into Renmore you are going too. Evenings not generally too bad, maybe 30 mins to Athenry in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mr Man

I do it every day and work on the West side of the city. I leave at 7.30am and am at my desk before 8. If I was to leave at 8, it would be 9 by the time I made it in.

Advertisement