Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal Address

Options
  • 19-04-2017 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,
    Having grown up in Glenville(where my parents still live) Can somebody tell me when did Glenville become Castleknock!!!!! Has the boundaries of
    Castleknock changed now so that anybody in living in D.15 can say they live in Castleknock or is it that people just have notions about themselves??
    I know people that would have used Coolmine/ Blanchardstown/ Clonsilla as their address.
    Glenville is closer to both Blanchardstown village and Clonsilla village then Castleknock village!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

stabaak wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Having grown up in Glenville(where my parents still live) Can somebody tell me when did Glenville become Castleknock!!!!! Has the boundaries of
    Castleknock changed now so that anybody in living in D.15 can say they live in Castleknock or is it that people just have notions about themselves??
    I know people that would have used Coolmine/ Blanchardstown/ Clonsilla as their address.
    Glenville is closer to both Blanchardstown village and Clonsilla village then Castleknock village!

This old Chestnut :) The official boundaries remain the same and haven't changed in hundreds of years. However it appears to me that nowadays, anything east of Diswellstown Road is fair game to be called "Castleknock", by both residents and especially Estate Agents!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I grew up in Glenville. My parents use Clonsilla. Yet Glenville Drive is Blanchardstown. Glenville Avenue uses Castleknock to the school. I am just off to Tesco in the Castleknock centre. I live in Waterville which is in Castleknock voting area.

I worked on this for a while in a job. It went all the way to the Supreme Court. Postal sorting machines only use the last line and the first numeric line so the town land is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 stabaak

amtc wrote: »
    I grew up in Glenville. My parents use Clonsilla. Yet Glenville Drive is Blanchardstown. Glenville Avenue uses Castleknock to the school. I am just off to Tesco in the Castleknock centre. I live in Waterville which is in Castleknock voting area.

I worked on this for a while in a job. It went all the way to the Supreme Court. Postal sorting machines only use the last line and the first numeric line so the town land is irrelevant.

Is Tesco not in the Roselawn shopping centre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

Saint Francis Xavier school use Castleknock on some of their correspondence, coolmine on others and just Dublin 15 on some. Since the media have decided to classify mulhuddart and Hartstown as Blanchardstown many people in Blanchardstown have sought to differentiate themselves. Historically it is all Castleknock barony up past Tyrrelstown. Most of Laurel lodge is Blanchardstown townland while glenville is sheepmoore townland. Most people I know call Glenville Coolmine which is probably best as neither Blanchardstown or Castleknock have any meaning in addresses.

stabaak wrote: »

Is Tesco not in the Roselawn shopping centre

It is...but lists itself as Castleknock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

It is...but lists itself as Castleknock

To be fair they list it as Blanchardstown

https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/ie/?bID=3589

If you consider anything outside the bit from the Castlenock park gate to the roundabout before the M50 over bridge just past Hawthorn you're only kidding yourself.

Actually I was at the beauty salon which markets itself as Castleknock's newest beauty salon at Tesco Castleknock

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Past30Now

Very old chestnut indeed.

When Lynams built Delwood in the 1970's it was marketed as Castleknock. Hence most Delwood residents would use Delwood, Castleknock. Glenville tended to be Coolmine. Roselawn tended to be a mix of Castleknock and Blanchardstown, but that might just have been the people I knew.

Advertisement