Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo Removal Query

Options
  • 19-04-2017 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if some knowledgable folk could take a look at the attached images and see what they would do to do this corner to rid the bamboo?

My plan is to install a raised flower bed (one foot higher than patio top) - as you can see from the images there is a bit of bamboo in this clearing. It seems to have somehow crept in under the fence from next-door neighbours yard (we are only bought the house several months ago) as there is a 15ft+ bamboo bush on their side. I would like to stop the growth on our side or clear completely. It was about 5ft high on our side until I started to cut it down - the lower I get though, the harder the job is as it is fairly compact. Trying to dig in under it is like digging into stone.

Any ideas/hints/tips?

Thanks,
    James

415065.jpg

415066.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cut stems below joints, add roundup. Wait a couple of weeks for stems to go brown. Remove with mattock. Install root guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Lumen wrote: »
    Cut stems below joints, add roundup. Wait a couple of weeks for stems to go brown. Remove with mattock. Install root guard.

Thanks - Will roundup kill the parent roots in the neighbour's garden though?

Thanks - Will roundup kill the parent roots in the neighbour's garden though?
    Here's hoping :pac:

If you're concerned about that I guess you could install the root guard first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Thanks, but I suppose that could turn messy!

I'm thinking that I'll have to dig a trench along the wall and break the roots. Spray the roots on my side and then put down a root barrier.

Couldn't find a mattock anywhere near where I live so settled for a heavy pickaxe. Started it today and it is not going to be a pleasant job, nor a quick job.

Started it today and it is not going to be a pleasant job, nor a quick job.
    That's why pandas are grumpy and too knackered to have sex - they spend all day wrestling with bamboo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement