Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on insurance in at-fault accident

Options
  • 19-04-2017 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I tipped someone from behind in the m50 last week.
    Thread here looking for somewhere for repairs
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103177427

This accident was 100% my fault. Didn't leave enough room in front and thankfully everyone is fine.

My question is this. The quote I received for the damage is 75% of the value I have the car down for. No idea of the insurers book value.
    I expect the car to be written off, but if it isn't, is it possible that I could receive the repair quotation amount myself, or does it have to go to the repair garage? (AIG insurance)
    I have searched the forum and there is multiple instances of people deciding to hang on to the money when they were hit, but I can't find out for when you are at fault.

I think ideally I would keep the quote and scrap the car, but I don't know if that's possible.

Many thanks.

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Hello all,

I tipped someone from behind in the m50 last week.
    Thread here looking for somewhere for repairs
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103177427

This accident was 100% my fault. Didn't leave enough room in front and thankfully everyone is fine.

My question is this. The quote I received for the damage is 75% of the value I have the car down for. No idea of the insurers book value.
    I expect the car to be written off, but if it isn't, is it possible that I could receive the repair quotation amount myself, or does it have to go to the repair garage? (AIG insurance)
    I have searched the forum and there is multiple instances of people deciding to hang on to the money when they were hit, but I can't find out for when you are at fault.

I think ideally I would keep the quote and scrap the car, but I don't know if that's possible.

Many thanks.

J

75% of the Value would be a write off I would think, "book value" would be even lower than the market price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's the car worth? I'd be surprised if it was even worth 2k at this point.

I think you'd be mad to claim on your insurance for the damage of such a low value car. Either try and get a cheap repair and pay out of pocket, or if the damage is too extensive then it might be time to move to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

What's the car worth? I'd be surprised if it was even worth 2k at this point.

I think you'd be mad to claim on your insurance for the damage of such a low value car. Either try and get a cheap repair and pay out of pocket, or if the damage is too extensive then it might be time to move to something else.

Thanks, but there is damage to the car I hit also, so it's not just mine.

It's more a question on options if not a write off, although I think it will be, and was wondering if anyone had gone through it.

Advertisement