Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting screwed with lack of NCB

Options
  • 19-04-2017 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

I've recently returned from 5 years working abroad. I rented cars there so have no record of insurance or any NCB as primary/named driver. Because I was away for so long I didn't keep my car insurance here or stay as a named driver to save some $$$.

I'm getting screwed now over here, even with a full Irish license and no penalty points. Even tried putting my 60+ year old mother on the policy!

Quotes from 123.ie and Liberty were 1500-3000 (aviva and allianz wouldn't quote) for a 1.6L 2014 Volvo V40. Slightly lower for a 1.2L 2014 Clio.

I'm considering registering another car in my mother's name and putting me as a named driver until I build up a year's No Claim?

Any ideas/suggestions?!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Morf3h wrote: »
    I've recently returned from 5 years working abroad. I rented cars there so have no record of insurance or any NCB as primary/named driver. Because I was away for so long I didn't keep my car insurance here or stay as a named driver to save some $$$.

I'm getting screwed now over here, even with a full Irish license and no penalty points. Even tried putting my 60+ year old mother on the policy!

Quotes from 123.ie and Liberty were 1500-3000 (aviva and allianz wouldn't quote) for a 1.6L 2014 Volvo V40. Slightly lower for a 1.2L 2014 Clio.

I'm considering registering another car in my mother's name and putting me as a named driver until I build up a year's No Claim?

Any ideas/suggestions?!

Thanks

Under no circumstances do this.....it's called Fronting and is illegal.

In any case it would only get you Named Driver Experience not a No Claims Bonus. You can only earn an NCB on a policy in your own name.

TBH OP, as some-one who works in the sector, I would not be turning my nose up at €1500 - that's actually a very quote given that you have no NCB at all.

If you won't or can't pay for your own policy though, you could consider going on your Mother's policy as a Named Driver on her car to build up Named Driver Experience for a year or two and then look at getting your own vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Nuw

Unfortunately, you're back to square one as your ncb would be kept "alive" for 2 years but then would be scrapped if not used. From an insurance point of view you're a new driver (and because -to them- you stopped driving 5 years ago, you're most likely considered to have been banned and are now returning on the road).

The quotes you mentioned would actually be considered "decent" for a new driver.

What you're considering -putting the car in someone else' name- is called fronting and you might risk the insurance being void should it come to light in a claim process. I would strongly advised against that as it will cost way more down the line. Plus, the fact that you'll be a named driver won't allow you to build your ncb back up, and therefore won't entail discounts when the time to get your own policy comes.

Best advise I can give you is try a broker, and every insurance companies out there to get the cheapest quote possible. But I'm afraid you won't get a lot better than what you already got.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Generally you need your own policy to build up your no claims bonus , named driver experience is not accepted by most insurance companies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring a decent motor broker. You might be able get some ncb credit somewhere.

Skatedude wrote: »
    Generally you need your own policy to build up your no claims bonus , named driver experience is not accepted by most insurance companies.

Not true, it will be accepted by most companies but you will get less of a discount than you would for No Claims Bonus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

TBH OP, as some-one who works in the sector, I would not be turning my nose up at €1500 - that's actually a very quote given that you have no NCB at all.

Just as an offshoot to this, I got €595 on a 2009 1.33 Auris with no ncb just last week via a broker. Shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

RiseToMe wrote: »
    Just as an offshoot to this, I got €595 on a 2009 1.33 Auris with no ncb just last week via a broker. Shop around.

Fair enough thanks for the feedback. I'll keep looking.

Sorry but I find the price a bit hard to believe if you have 0 NCB.....I've worked long enough in this Industry to know roughly what you can expect to pay in that situation and it's usually in the region of 2000-3000 (maybe 1500-2000 if you're really lucky).

How did you manage to get it that low if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Sorry but I find the price a bit hard to believe if you have 0 NCB.....I've worked long enough in this Industry to know roughly what you can expect to pay in that situation and it's usually in the region of 2000-3000 (maybe 1500-2000 if you're really lucky).

How did you manage to get it that low if you don't mind me asking?

It can only be xcess direct.

Low premiums for higher risk drivers by applying whopper excesses and offerinf minimalist covers.

No, through Glennon, fully comp, an excess of 250. No problem sending either of you the policy document.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

No, through Glennon, fully comp, an excess of 250. No problem sending either of you the policy document.

I'd be interested in seeing the Statement of Facts rather than the policy, if you could post or PM it

Do post it you don't mind please, I find that price very hard to believe.

No problem will post it up next week, I'm travelling at the moment with only phone access. Will.put up quote and statement of fact

Guys got my wife to send me across the document with my info redacted but it seems I cant send images via pm. Don't want to post it as she has only highlighted over my details to obscure them (not sure if somebody could clean them up).

Not entirely comfortable with sending via email as my detail address is my name etc. Open to suggestions on how to send it directly anon however

however suffice as to say I'm not gonna break my heart over it, I know my quote, have my disc, all t and cs are correct with fully comp, 250 excess, via Glennon. After quotes exceeding 2k i triple checked everything. So all I advise is shopping around is brokers.

It's not that we doubt you RiseToMe, it's just that your quote is so out of line with a Zero NCB from anybody else, we just want to make sure everything is in order for you. The consequences of any errors can be serious

Oh no.worries on that front-it's been checked over by a solicitor friend of the family who works primarily in motor insurance claims etc. Trust me I was just as surprised to get the quote, my wife has just reminded me however that we got either a 10 or 15% discount via that broker due my own professional membership. However it doesn't reflect such a drop. Feel free to ask any question in relation to the policy and I'll answer whats stated!

Oh no.worries on that front-it's been checked over by a solicitor friend of the family who works primarily in motor insurance claims etc. Trust me I was just as surprised to get the quote, my wife has just reminded me however that we got either a 10 or 15% discount via that broker due my own professional membership. However it doesn't reflect such a drop. Feel free to ask any question in relation to the policy and I'll answer whats stated!

Fair play

It all relates to what is down as your previous driving history, either as a named driver or with a policy in your own name. What have you stated?

No NCB in my own name and a shirt period of named experience, recorded all correctly on the insurance documents and proof of which was sent in

Well, you have me stumped. Excellent result

No NCB in my own name and a shirt period of named experience, recorded all correctly on the insurance documents and proof of which was sent in

Well done you, I honestly don't know how you managed that!

• Advertisement

I would have thought Glennons would be advertising the shlt out of it if they had a market for zero NCB and driving experience at such a low rate. Money to be made

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

EDIT: Got a policy for E1200 with Glennons. Sorted for now thankfully!

I followed your advice ladies and am having real trouble getting anywhere to accept my foreign company driving experience. It seems madness to me that I can drive with a Canadian license for 5 years, 3.5 years on a company fleet policy and have a totally clean record, only to be told that it's not accepted anywhere??

Is that acceptable?

I'll have to give this Glennon's crowd a call it looks like!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I'm in the same situation as the OP. It's absolutely ridiculous!

3500-3800 quotes for a 1L Nissan Micra. Many won't insure a car over 10 years old.

No wonder so many people are on the dole, etc... there is no room to start living at all. People are getting choked and drowned by bills from left and right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Not true, it will be accepted by most companies but you will get less of a discount than you would for No Claims Bonus.

Typically one step on the scale for 2 years of experience.

Advertisement