Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Inspection/ Advice

Options
  • 19-04-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi All,

Have a subject inspection next week for 2 days. Just wondering if anybody has any advice from recent inspections they may have had. I have read recent reports.

Also on the final day of inspection, does the inspector give their overall feedback to the dept., P and DP before school finishes (e.g. in the last class) or is the feedback given directly after school finishes.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Razorfish wrote: »
    Hi All,

Have a subject inspection next week for 2 days. Just wondering if anybody has any advice from recent inspections they may have had. I have read recent reports.

Also on the final day of inspection, does the inspector give their overall feedback to the dept., P and DP before school finishes (e.g. in the last class) or is the feedback given directly after school finishes.

Thanks

I think it's the same format as WSE - they leave on the last day and return some evening (maybe during the day now) and deliver report to management and relevant department. I hope that answers your question. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In the 4 subject inspections I've been through they gave the general feedback after school on the last day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Our inspectors didn't give any feedback after school hours or during breaks , so if you had inspection last class you got personal feedback next day.
    On day 3 the inspectors met the department together with management and gave a summary of all individual feedback and recommendations.
    They always have a different agenda so even if your learning outcomes are specified and achieved through group work and discovery learning blah blah blah, they will pick up on your comments on homework not being constructive enough or in the wrong colour pen, or your classroom decoration not imaginative enough!
    My advice would be to stick to your usual methods and don't over complicate it or try to do too much in one class.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭derb12

Ooh good luck razorfish - hope it goes well.
    We had a 2-day subject inspection last year and we got a group feedback with mgmt & subject coordinator (me) on last afternoon during school hours.
    Look at the most recent reports you can find and normally you can spot "the thing they are currently focused on" from those. In our case it was the subject plans having to contain references to the syllabus. Pointless nonsense really but we added it in and have had it in there ever since.
    You find out in the morning which classes will get a visit that day so you just need to be ready with very straightforward classes prepared for the each one. You might also think about work you set the day before and get some learning reflection on the students part into it. Also get a bit of group work going in the classes leading up to it so that they aren't all looking at you as if you have two heads when you get them doing pair or group work when the inspector is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In the 4 subject inspections I've been through they gave the general feedback after school on the last day.

The very same on our place. There was no personal feedback given, not even a comment to the teacher on how the class went. Our last was a one day inspection with feedback given at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Notorious wrote: »
    The very same on our place. There was no personal feedback given, not even a comment to the teacher on how the class went. Our last was a one day inspection with feedback given at the end of the day.

Oh well we all had individual meetings with the inspectors throughout the days too.

Advertisement