Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bouncer punches woman who tried to punch him.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

she certainly knows how to throw a punch, its not the first time she has done that, brought her arm back and leaned into it, only being drunk her aim was off. I'd go with a reaction from him, he didn't really have time to think about it and the fact that she was still standing meant it was restrained or more of a slap

I blame Hollywood and all the bad ass female characters recently, just about every female character can deck professional killers in a single punch :D , even that statue of the little girl that they put beside the Bull in NY, what were they thinking?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    If she was coming at him with a weapon, and he was at risk, then yeah, you could make a defence for him, but in this case, I think she could have easily been restrained after the duck, without belting her one.

Response totally inappropriate here.

Try restraining a drunk woman/anybody. It ain't easy. And besides, even if he successfully restrains her, he is then leaving himself open to the accusation that he touched her t1ts/ar5e/puddy etc.

If he pushed her away, what's to stop her coming back at him a second time?

I think what he did was proportional. It wasn't a punch designed to kill her. It was a slap to prevent her attacking him again.

I'm making no apologies, I'm on the bouncer's side on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I've seen enough of his type of behaviour to know on the balance of probabilities what kind of a person he is. There aren't too many of them around thankfully. Acting in self-defence means to use appropriate action to defend oneself. Punching a drunk woman? Scumbag.

A drunk woman who tried to punch him first....you seem determined to ignore her actions for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Nice music in the background. It makes it seem like a romantic comedy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

silverharp wrote: »
    she certainly knows how to throw a punch, its not the first time she has done that, brought her arm back and leaned into it, only being drunk her aim was off. I'd go with a reaction from him, he didn't really have time to think about it and the fact that she was still standing meant it was restrained or more of a slap

I blame Hollywood and all the bad ass female characters recently, just about every female character can deck professional killers in a single punch :D , even that statue of the little girl that they put beside the Bull in NY, what were they thinking?

I dont think its Hollywood more Social Media. She has her viral video now so she can try to become some kind of Facebook Feminist/Celebrity creature for a few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

A scummy Liverpool girl who got what was coming to her, the guy didnt really smash her either he gave her a tap.
    Why should scummy women/men be aloud to hit someone just doing there job.
    Its like they think people should be afraid of them because they may resort to violence
    Fair play to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

He didn't really hit her that hard, looks like an open handed hit.

Personally, I wouldn't do it but she tries to hit him so what does she expect.

Plus I'd say if he tried to physically restrain her, there would be the same furore, probably worse; what's he supposed to do, stand there and let some tramp beat him up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's funny how feminist Boards becomes all of a sudden when it's about a woman getting punched by a man. Talk about quotas and pay and it's bull****, but when it comes to violence all of a sudden it's 'equal opportunities'. I guess I'm just a male chauvinist dinosaur when it comes to hitting girls :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

To be honest it looks more like a mild open handed slap. If he had punched her there's no way she'd be standing. Instinctive but controlled reaction by the bouncer imho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

The bouncer should have shown some restraint. That's what they are supposed to do.

Only on After Hours would I read different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Don't see an issue with there being "an investigation". That doesn't mean anyone is being suspected of anything, simply doing some interviews to find out what happened and if anyone should be charged. I'd be more concerned if incidents like this were happening and the police were just saying, "Yeah whatever, get out of my face".

Impossible to say if what he did was appropriate based on a grainy vertical video. She's incredibly drunk, so it would appear that he didn't strike her hard otherwise she would have gone down like a sack of spuds. It could very easily have been an automatic move on his part after the duck to try and push her back and he accidentally connected with her face.

Whatever he did, he didn't hit her with very much force and certainly had no intention to seriously harm her. I doubt, "evade and attempt to restrain" is on the self-defence 101 course, it seems like evading an attack and pushing your attacker back makes more sense than pulling them in close to you and trying to hold them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

His punch looks like it was instinct more than anything, but that he managed to pull most of it given she doesn't even fall after taking it. Pretty sure if he'd clocked her like some are implying she wouldn't have been still standing.

Hope the poor guy doesn't lose his job, if she was a he I doubt the popular reaction would've been much different to the bouncer vs the two guys on Parnell St from a few months back where everyone cheered the bouncer flattening the two lads.

IMO the gender of the attacker is irrelevant, everyone has the right to defend themselves if they're attacked regardless of who they're attacked by.

It does look he did it instinctively, and if he'd hit her full force, she would been decked.

She could have had something on her hand for all he knew.

I'd say there was a long prelude to this, possibly with more slaps from her, if somebody was filming it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

BattleCorp wrote: »
    http://theliberal.ie/video-a-bouncer-is-being-interview-by-police-after-punching-a-woman-in-the-face-after-she-swung-at-him/

The bouncer is currently under police investigation for punching a woman after she threw a punch at him. Would he be under investigation if he had hit back at a man who tried to deck him?

What do you reckon folks, did the bouncer do right?

I'm kind of conflicted on this one. I absolutely believe that it's a scummy thing for a man to hit a woman but equally you can't allow half the population free reign to lash out at men either.

I think I'm going to go with equal rights here and say that he did right. She tried to assault him and the argument could be made that he acted in self defence.

Am I in the minority in thinking this?

Is it OK to punch a bully?? She being the bully because she thinks she can hit him but he cant hit her. I think YES!! anyway equal rights & self defence all come into play as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont think its Hollywood more Social Media. She has her viral video now so she can try to become some kind of Facebook Feminist/Celebrity creature for a few weeks.

social media is making them more available so I'd accept its always been thus. In this case I doubt she knew she was being filmed, and given the state of her I doubt she will want the attention.
    I wonder though has it become more socially acceptable for women to get involved in fights or to hit men on the assumption that men don't hit back? On the flip side everyone has equality bouncing around in their heads so men are constantly being told to treat women as equals. if they can be combat soldiers and on the beat police then they can be treated as equals if they start being violent

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

It does look he did it instinctively, and if he'd hit her full force, she would been decked.

She could have had something on her hand for all he knew.

I'd say there was a long prelude to this, possibly with more slaps from her, if somebody was filming it.

Can it be instinctive and puled though? If he had the thought to pull the punch and not go full force, then the punch was hardly instinctive anymore

Arghus wrote: »
    The bouncer should have shown some restraint. That's what they are supposed to do.
    What would you suggest?

You're the bouncer. She takes a swing, you duck. Now what? She's standing six inches away from you, possibly falling towards you.

What do you do next that you would consider to be "showing restraint"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Why should he have to think on the spot how to get and keep her away from him? Is he supposed to stand there politely keeping her at arms length until she got bored of trying to hit him? What if she picked up a bottle and smashed it and ran at him with that? Being the target of someone's vicious aggression and attempt to physically hit you would understandably anger someone.

The fact that he has the better punch is her tough luck. Maybe she'll think twice before attacking someone the next time.
    And she's on heels and probably drunk, yet his punch only made her stagger, I doubt it was that hard.

She probably has horrible long false nails on as well. Imagine getting a face full of them from some harpy?

seamus wrote: »
    What would you suggest?

You're the bouncer. She takes a swing, you duck. Now what? She's standing six inches away from you, possibly falling towards you.

How about trying to restraining her? Bouncers do it to people all the time

Where is Makikkomi? He's the bouncing expert around here :D

• Advertisement

Male restraining a drunk, aggressive woman in these litigious times. What could possibly go wrong.

Guy would probably be on a kangaroo court hiding no matter what he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

As I've said earlier in this thread, try restraining a drunk woman/anybody. It ain't easy. And besides, even if he successfully restrains her, he is then leaving himself open to the accusation that he touched her t1ts/ar5e/puddy etc.

Plus, while the bouncer is busy restraining somebody, then it leaves him pretty vulnerable to an attack from somebody else.

Would it have been appropriate, legal and even possible in this case though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm all for self defense but I watched the video and she was no threat. I would say the same thing if she was a man. She was so drunk he easily ducked her pathetic punch. He could easily restrained her or pushed her over. In this case it was a complete over reaction on his part.

Come off it, all it took was one punch from the bouncer and there didn't seem much in it, then she sulked off. Better to do that than just stand there taking a number of measly punches from someone.

Ideally he should have caught her arm as she threw her punch and restrained her. But maybe he figured at the time (because we don't see what lead up to it) that it'd be more effective to just strike back. He didn't go chasing after her.

The liberal are being very liberal with how they are presenting it. Without any form of criticism or exposition on the event. Just regurgitating crap as usual.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Self-defense I'm afraid. Don't dish it out if you can't take it.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    As I've said earlier in this thread, try restraining a drunk woman/anybody. It ain't easy. And besides, even if he successfully restrains her, he is then leaving himself open to the accusation that he touched her t1ts/ar5e/puddy etc.

Plus, while the bouncer is busy restraining somebody, then it leaves him pretty vulnerable to an attack from somebody else.
    How do bouncers manage at all to do their job every single night if they are unable to restrain people? How do they manage to get unruly people to leave a club?

Restrain her, she has a panic attack, he's a scumbag. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A drunk woman who tried to punch him first....you seem determined to ignore her actions for some reason.

I'll leave it to you to figure out why the doorman's actions are being investigated, and the woman's actions aren't. I'll give you a clue though - when you think you can get away with doing something to someone because the chances are high they won't remember it the next day... thank fcuk for it being recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What would you suggest?

I'm not sure, but if his instinctive response to every punch thrown by a tottering female drunk in heels is to throw one right back into their faces without thinking - then bouncing is probably not the ideal career for him.

And I've seen more doormen over the years not respond in kind with fists straightaway when someone tries to deck them, so obviously another approach is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

Hitting a girl is repulsive.

Our family business is in hospitality and if any of our doorstaff behaved like this we'd be looking for new security.

Self defence argument is bs as is the equality argument. For a start, If a doorman feels threatened by a girl who is built like an empty wetsuit then he shouldnt be be on the doors.

Secondly, she didn't even pose a threat, a girl throwing a punch at someone with double (or more) the strength does not constitute a threat. Complete lack of professionalism on his part. If it was a male, I could understand as a man poses a significant threat and reasonable force can be justified in diffusing the situation.

The fact he automatically lashed out at a girl is worrying and I hope he is charged for assault and loses his job off the back of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How do bouncers manage at all to do their job every single night if they are unable to restrain people? How do they manage to get unruly people to leave a club?

The one time a bouncer in The Woolshed had to react physically it became viral across the internet. All the times I've been to that pub, all the staff have been reasonable and courteous. What we are seeing in the video provided is an extreme event in similar circumstances that is being distributed to capture a similar wave of attention. Nothing more. I doubt the Liberal will even do a follow up to report on any outcome from the investigation, because there'll be fúck all hits in it for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Game Face MCGee

bouncers shouldn't be hitting anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

not very professional by the bouncer swinging digs at a punter provoked or not

The one time a bouncer in The Woolshed had to react physically it became viral across the internet. All the times I've been to that pub, all the staff have been reasonable and courteous. What we are seeing in the video provided is an extreme event in similar circumstances that is being distributed to capture a similar wave of attention. Nothing more. I doubt the Liberal will even do a follow up to report on any outcome from the investigation, because there'll be fúck all hits in it for them.

Those were very different circumstances in the Woolshed case

I'll leave it to you to figure out why the doorman's actions are being investigated, and the woman's actions aren't. I'll give you a clue though - when you think you can get away with doing something to someone because the chances are high they won't remember it the next day... thank fcuk for it being recorded.

Less of the hysterics please, that's not even close to what happened and I think you know that really tbh.

You seem to laboring under the impression that the woman did nothing wrong, that she was a innocent victim which could not be further than the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

As Dave Chappelle said: "Chivalry's dead... and women killed it."

Would it have been appropriate, legal and even possible in this case though?

Versus punching someone? Yes yes* and yes

*once it's not done excessively violently

armaghlad wrote: »
    Hitting a girl is repulsive.

Our family business is in hospitality and if any of our doorstaff behaved like this we'd be looking for new security.

Self defence argument is bs as is the equality argument. For a start, If a doorman feels threatened by a girl who is built like an empty wetsuit then he shouldnt be be on the doors.

Secondly, she didn't even pose a threat, a girl throwing a punch at someone with double (or more) the strength does not constitute a threat. Complete lack of professionalism on his part. If it was a male, I could understand as a man poses a significant threat and reasonable force can be justified in diffusing the situation.

The fact he automatically lashed out at a girl is worrying and I hope he is charged for assault and loses his job off the back of it.

Where on earth are people getting the idea that this was out of the blue or unprovoked? She went to punch him! What's he supposed to do? Just stand there and take it because she's woman?

Gender shouldn't come into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Nothwithstanding all the references to the bouncer as "him", I think the Bouncer looks more female, which might explain why it was being filmed...
    Am I alone?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

Someone assaults you, you do what's necessary to make sure they can't do it again. As for it being a woman, sure we are all equals, eh feminists? 😂

Those were very different circumstances in the Woolshed case

Because that was 3 on 1, or that they were all male?

I think you are missing what I'm trying to indicate. We are only looking at a small clip of something that is clearly an extreme scenario. I would not expect it to be normal for that bouncer to respond in the manner which he did. But it's hard to comment any further with no context to it what so ever. So all that gets picked up by the shock crowd is man hits woman.
    Nothwithstanding all the references to the bouncer as "him", I think the Bouncer looks more female, which might explain why it was being filmed...
    Am I alone?

The bouncer wasn't the one in the dress. :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 903 ✭✭✭MysticMonk

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm all for self defense but I watched the video and she was no threat. I would say the same thing if she was a man. She was so drunk he easily ducked her pathetic punch. He could easily restrained her or pushed her over. In this case it was a complete over reaction on his part.

She deserved it..simple as that...women are just as capable of hurting people as men,it's not for a liberal to say what he should or should not have done after the fact...a threat is a threat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭HenryHill

The bouncer hits like a girl anyway, he didn't even drop her.

Where on earth are people getting the idea that this was out of the blue or unprovoked? She went to punch him! What's he supposed to do? Just stand there and take it because she's woman?

Gender shouldn't come into this.
    Stand there and take it because he's a sober professional doing his job. It is what he is paid to do. Gender completely comes into it, women are physically weaker than men. Next thing you'll be saying it's ok to hit a child when they swing a dig for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

It's essentially a general rule for height to weight ratio. I as a short arse male would pay a heavy price for thinking I can throw punches at stocky or tall guys and get away with it. And even if most guys are 'nice' enough to restrain a woman for throwing a punch at them, I wouldn't want my daughter (or short arse son) thinking they can count on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You want equal rights, expect equal lefts.

Am I alone?
    It refers to a male bouncer in the article.

minikin wrote: »
    Liverpool is in Ireland now? When did that happen?

Watch a Liverpool vs United match anywhere in the country and you'll see. Place is full of apparent Scousers and Mancs saying 'us' and 'we', or as I like to call them, utter gob****es.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Bam! Right in the kisser.

What time is the march?

The best ones ever right here.

The crack of this slap is like Indiana Jones' whip

The driver says ''If you wanna act like a man, I'll treat you like man''.

• Advertisement
Advertisement