Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda benevolent fund

• 19-04-2017 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭

Hi I was ordered to pay 650e to the Garda benevolent fund in court a little over a week ago. I was given 6 weeks to make this payment. It was either that or 120e fine and a conviction.

I cannot afford to pay 650e within the next 5 weeks and I'm wondering is there a way I can get an extension on the time i have to pay or even just opt to take the conviction instead which tbh is what i should have done in the first place as I really don't have the money with rent bills car etc..

Also what happens if I just don't pay it. Will I receive the conviction in lieu of it or will I be arrested?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Hi I was ordered to pay 650e to the Garda benevolent fund in court a little over a week ago. I was given 6 weeks to make this payment. It was either that or 120e fine and a conviction.

I cannot afford to pay 650e within the next 5 weeks and I'm wondering is there a way I can get an extension on the time i have to pay or even just opt to take the conviction instead which tbh is what i should have done in the first place as I really don't have the money with rent bills car etc..

Also what happens if I just don't pay it. Will I receive the conviction in lieu of it or will I be arrested?

You'll have to go back to the Court Clerk in the court that convicted you and set up a payment plan and stick to it.
    You don't want a conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

infogiver wrote: »
    You'll have to go back to the Court Clerk in the court that convicted you and set up a payment plan and stick to it.
    You don't want a conviction.

Thanks very much for the reply.

Is it possible to set up a payment plan when it isn't an actual court fine as it's just a donation to the poor box?

I'd have to take a day off work to go the courthouse as it's not in my home county so I'd have to be sure it would be worth my time. If i ring the courthouse will they tell me over the phone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Thanks very much for the reply.

Is it possible to set up a payment plan when it isn't an actual court fine as it's just a donation to the poor box?

I'd have to take a day off work to go the courthouse as it's not in my home county so I'd have to be sure it would be worth my time. If i ring the courthouse will they tell me over the phone?

Ring the courthouse and speak nicely to the court clerk. Put a good case for yourself. Tell him or her that you want to pay but you can't pay it in the time you were asked to pay.
    Tell him how much you can afford every week and say you can set up a standing order for the set amount of time until it's paid off

Advertisement