Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to England without passport

• 19-04-2017 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi :) I would like to go to England, at the start of June. However, I don't have a passport as I lost my previous one.

1. If I was to apply for a passport now (a) how long would it take to get it (b) how much does it cost

2. If my passport didn't get here before June, would I be able to go to England without a passport? I have other ID (the ID we use when we collect our jobseekers money from the post office).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,191 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You don't need a passport to go to the UK, unless you are determined to fly with Ryanair

Drivers license, student ID, work ID, new social welfare card with photo are all valid for ferry and air

Aer Lingus, City Jet, Flybe, British Airways will be happy to transport you once you have some form of photo ID

E.g. https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You can get a new passport online, it costs €80 and the turnaround time is currently 10 working days.

Otherwise, anyone but Ryanair as advised by the previous poster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

athtrasna wrote: »
    You can get a new passport online, it costs €80 and the turnaround time is currently 10 working days.

Otherwise, anyone but Ryanair as advised by the previous poster!

Don't trust that there will be a guaranteed turn around time of 10 working days in May/ June. If you intend applying, its safest to apply a lot more than 2 weeks before your travel date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

of course, we are presuming that the person posting is irish or british as the free travel arrangements only benefit Irish and british citizens.
    If you are from elsewhere then for immigration purposes you need an ID card or passport, or indeed in some cases a passport with visa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

You'll need to report the passport as lost to the Gardai if you haven't already done so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You don't need a passport to go to the UK, unless you are determined to fly with Ryanair

Drivers license, student ID, work ID, new social welfare card with photo are all valid for ferry and air

Aer Lingus, City Jet, Flybe, British Airways will be happy to transport you once you have some form of photo ID

E.g. https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/passports-and-visas/travel-to-from-britain/

Garda at immigration was all too happy to laugh at my student ID and make me get my passport out of my suitcase a few years ago after a flight from Gatwick. Said it was fine for ID but I needed proof of citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

For some reason they'll quiz you coming into Dublin but going into a UK airport, I've never been checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I sent my passport for renewal via the service on Wednesday. According to there tracking service I should get on the 12th of May. Not sure how the online application works with lost passport but if you get your photos and formed signed in a Garda Station this evening or tomorrow morning. Send it off via the An post service tomorrow before 1pm you should have it in plenty of time. Bring ID and your birth cert to the Garda station if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Mycroft H wrote:
    For some reason they'll quiz you coming into Dublin but going into a UK airport, I've never been checked.

All arriving entries in Dublin end up going through passport control whereas in the UK most Irish flights go through domestic arrivals.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Depends who you get on the UK Border Control side, they have days where they demand passports/ID Cards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

redcup342 wrote: »
    Depends who you get on the UK Border Control side, they have days where they demand passports/ID Cards

Never happened to me by a Border Control person, was asked for a passport by Ground Staff in Gatwick once, as I was in a rush I just showed it but also pointed out I wasn't required to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

They've asked for my boarding pass a few times and if i couldn't show it then was redirected to border security for passport process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Mr.S wrote: »
    How does that get enforced though?

If you fly to the UK from Ireland, you generally don't go through any boarder control as you usually arrive at a domestic gate, and no boarder checks on the Irish side before you fly.

Airline staff will just check your ID to match the name, they don't ask you where you are from.

The airline does check simply because if a passenger gets turned away at the other side it's the airline responsibility to get them home.

Ryanair used to insist that any non-EU/EAA passport holders had their passport inspected at the check-in desk (not the gate) and had their boarding pass stamped so that the staff at the gate just needed to do the visual name match inspection you mention.

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview/passports-and-visas/im-a-non-eu-eea-passenger-do-I-need-extra-travel-document-visa-check

I'd say other airlines are doing the same check (even if they are doing it at the gate)

Advertisement