Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best route from Athy to Westport?

Options
  • 19-04-2017 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Good afternoon!

I am planning a trip for June. I want to do a 2-3 day ride from Athy, Co. Kildare to Westport. Does anyone have some recommendations? I would appreciate a route of more airline type. However, I could meander a bit for some great destinations.

I am considering taking the gravel bikes so we do have off-road capability.

I had some ideas but I am really looking for recommendations and places to stay en-route.

I appreciate the help.

thanks,
    Bill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 n1ey

n1ey wrote: »
    Good afternoon!

I am planning a trip for June. I want to do a 2-3 day ride from Athy, Co. Kildare to Westport. Does anyone have some recommendations? I would appreciate a route of more airline type. However, I could meander a bit for some great destinations.

I am considering taking the gravel bikes so we do have off-road capability.

I had some ideas but I am really looking for recommendations and places to stay en-route.

I appreciate the help.

thanks,
    Bill

no thoughts from anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Athy to Vicarstown by canal towpath. Then head Vicarstown - Ballybrittas - Portarlington- Tullamore - Clara - Moate. pick up new greenway in Moate and follow to Athlone.
    Cross the river and head out by Monksland and pick up the Tuam road. Follow R roads via Ballyfoan and Mountbellew to Tuam. Head across to Ballinrobe then head up towards Castlebar as far as Partry. Hang a left and follow the road to Westport. This is mainly R roads with some Greenway and canal towpath thrown in. I have cycled most of it and its should fit the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you want a quite route this site works well and avoids the highest roads.

http://cycle.travel/

It will be an "interesting route" and you will need a Garmin device of some description.

Advertisement