Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing Manuals

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »
    The access to that forum was strickly monitored and some users were refused access to it.

Yes, it is less of a dictatorship more relaxed now :):D
    Since I have been a mod on this forum nobody has been refused access.
    All members have demonstrated that they are PSA registered installers or working for a PSA registered company.
    I understand it's part of that overall discussions that kicked off during the thread about disabling an alarm system , the one I received a number of PMs about

Part of the idea of the private forum is to allow installers discuss more sensitive information in a "safe" environment.
    For the record as discussed with 2011 this is a no brainier it's a site rule

Yes, I have no plans to change the charter on the private forum because this is not a new rule.
    It is quite simple, illegality is well legal so don't do it...
    We've no drive to stop non copyright material from being shared, or no drive to stop links to genuine copyright holders websites that host copyright material.

This is not a restriction on sharing all info.

But we clearly can't link to dodgy sites or upload copyright material to baords.

+1
    This is the way the private forum will be moderated too.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

KoolKid wrote: »
    I am happy with the clarification.
    A couple of genuine questions..
    What defines a legitimate site?
    Would it be manufactures sites, distributers sites, company /installer sites or what others?
    If the manufacturer no longer exists does that mean that the copyright is gone also?
    If documentation has no copyright notice on it can we presume that is ok to share, and if so can it be linked to on thread?
    Think you need to adopt a better safe than sorry approach

If the manufacturer's site is providing it directly then linking to that site really cannot be an issue. Similarly if a retailer or distributor provides a link, the fact they are selling the stuff will in all likelihood mean they are fine. Beyond that I would assume you can't provide the link unless there is a specific reasons you have to believe it is legit

Just because a manufacturer has ceased to exist does not mean the rights to the product and underlying documentation no longer exist. In many cases all the assets of a business are sold to a new owner

The sorts of questions you are asking highlight the fact there are many grey areas when it comes to legal interpretation. In the forums I am responsible for we adopt a policy of not allowing stuff if there is any doubt, rather than try and identify where the line that should not be crossed is. Indeed I think the site's view would be always to err on the side of caution on such matters - even a positive legal opinion carries no weight in a court and therefore why risk a challenge even if you think you have a good case (in other areas we have seen other businesses adopt a more aggressive approach - but they typically have more resource to defend any legal actions which may result)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thank you for very direct & precise advice.
    On the matter of whats copyrighted, must it display so somewhere on or within the document? Or what is a safe way to be sure something is 100% OK to share?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could simply email the manufacturer in question if uncertain.
    There are not many different alarm systems used in Ireland so it shouldn't take to long to work it out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I am simply asking the question if it's a requirement . I am looking at the bigger picture. Obviously it's about more than manuals, this could relate to any documentation like data sheets, specification and other guides.
    Also it's not just about Irish manufacturers either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Therefore so, if a particular manual is freely available on a manufacturers web site, then that is allowed?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

kub wrote: »
    Therefore so, if a particular manual is freely available on a manufacturers web site, then that is allowed?
    A link yes. Copying and pasting sections - not if it's copyright protected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

YouTube - embedding of youtube videos is ok. If any copyright issues occur, YouTube will be the one to remove the video and the content will no longer be available to anyone.

I hope that answers your questions but if not, I'll be back :)

Why is this different to linking to streaming sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Anyone know is there a decent lawyer we could ask?
    You finally admitting to your indecency, hulla? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement