Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of hours contact

Options
  • 19-04-2017 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I work for a small construction company and the boss often calls texts or emails me after work has finished or before and even on sundays is he legally allowed to do this couldn't find any info on it anywhere

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I don't think there is a legal position on this because it depends on so many factors like type of business, client activities, shift work etc. Is your boss asking questions about your work or assigning you work for the next day via email or text? What is he telling you during these communications?

If your work is being assigned this way I suggest completely ignoring any calls or texts then telling your boss the next day you were busy and don't often check the phone after work. He will soon get the message and keep work chat for work time.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

I don't think there is a legal position on this because it depends on so many factors like type of business, client activities, shift work etc. Is your boss asking questions about your work or assigning you work for the next day via email or text? What is he telling you during these communications?

If your work is being assigned this way I suggest completely ignoring any calls or texts then telling your boss the next day you were busy and don't often check the phone after work. He will soon get the message and keep work chat for work time.

Thanks for the reply it can be anything from what was done that day to when will the job be finished if customers aren't happy with something etc
    If i don't reply usually get a message will you reply to the texts
    I work 8 to 5 monday to friday and its annoying as hell with the phone beeping every evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

dk1345 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply it can be anything from what was done that day to when will the job be finished if customers aren't happy with something etc
    I work 8 to 5 monday to friday and its annoying as hell with the phone beeping every evening

Its time to knock that on the head OP. Otherwise it will never end. I know there has to be a bit of flexibility with small businesses etc but hes just taking the mick here. Id tell your boss that you aren't near the phone after work so if he needs to contact you he will have to wait until next day, stay firm to your word even if he doesn't like it. Once he gets the hint, he will set up a catch up meeting for every morning or evening to get up to speed there rather than annoying you all evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Just don't text back or text back at the time you would normally be going to bed. Like if he texts at 8pm, 8.30pm and then 9pm, wait until 11pm and text back 'Only seeing this now' and answer the question as briefly as possible and end with I'll chat to you tomorrow. Or do it first thing in the morning when you wake up 'only seeing this now', and answer briefly and end with sure I'll see you when I'm in.

If he doesn't get the hint then after this just stop answering the texts and if he says anything the next day say that you didn't see it til late and you knew you'd see him at some point during the day.

Alternatively, just say it to him bluntly 'I won't be responding to work calls/texts/emails outside of work hours'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,318 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Alternatively, just say it to him bluntly 'I won't be responding to work calls/texts/emails outside of work hours'.

Or explicitly call him towards the end of the day to update him on anything important and ask if there anything else they would like to know. That gives him a chance to ask you anything that's on his mind so he won't call you later in the evening. But absolutely stop responding. If it's a work phone, switch it off. If it's your personal phone, switch yourself off. Respond in the morning or on you commute

Work life balance is important. You can't be on the clock all night unless you're getting paid for it.

If they do the stop selling out of hours, then ask them to email you so you can deal with it first thing in the morning without being disturbed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭BabySlam

It may be difficult for you to say it to your boss. You must say it in your actions. As others prescribed above, why not turn your work phone off during the evenings - if he is using your personal number get it changed or turn it off as well.

BabySlam wrote:
    It may be difficult for you to say it to your boss. You must say it in your actions. As others prescribed above, why not turn your work phone off during the evenings - if he is using your personal number get it changed or turn it off as well.

Turning your personal phone off is a bit like hiding from your boss in your free time. It would be easier to speak to them than turn off your personal phone.

OP is it a normal job or a job where you would be expected to be on call all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote:

That depends. I would sooner talk to them than turn off my personal phone. Unless they're a tyrant then that's a bit pathetic, ducking and diving from your boss in the evenings. Then you turn on your phone to call your missus and he sees the messages have delivered so you're back to ignoring the messages rather than pretending you didn't see them because your phone was off.

Turning off work phone is easy. But it would be easier to talk to the boss than pretend you never turn your phone in in the evening. That's a thin lie to tell your boss and he'll see through it straight away. Better to put your case that you will happily catch up in the morning, and head them off at the pass by calling at 4.30 so you can update them before you leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,083 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dk1345 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply it can be anything from what was done that day to when will the job be finished if customers aren't happy with something etc If i don't reply usually get a message will you reply to the texts I work 8 to 5 monday to friday and its annoying as hell with the phone beeping every evening

I'm self employed and I take calls between 8am and 8pm. I set my phone to private mode at 8pm. It only makes a noise if I get a call from someone in my list of family and friends. Everyone else waits till 8am
    I think it's reasonable for him to text you & for you to reply up to an agreed time. 6pm, 7pm. Whatever. Outside of these hours tell him your phone is on private

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

dk1345 wrote: »

Whatever about texting you in the first place, the above is most certainly not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

In my opinion the only way to handle this is to sit down and have the conversation with your boss ... everything else is just avoiding the issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Get a new phone and use it for work. Just tell the boss you've changed numbers. Turn the work phone off when you clock out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

blame the missis , say she is giving out to you for ruining her evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness this sounds like a common thing that can happen in the sector you are working in. Boss rings around the lads if he has a few teams or jobs on the go to see what the craic is.

Just start giving him a bell before you finish up for the day giving him a rundown on the days events and he can sort out any queries with you. If you're experienced in that sector you should know it can be a common thing, every boss or foreman can be different and have their own way of doing things. If you're new to the sector, this can happen, and you might want to just try what works best for the situation.

Good few friends and family memebers who work in small companies like this or a trade for a fella who runs a few teams. They normally just give him a bell for the day before wrapping up to have a quick catch-up. Gas I read this thread now as I only had a cousin out doing some bits for me and was out the back smoking when he rang his boss for a rundown and after he hung up was like "If I don't do that he does me ringing me all night with bits and pieces"

It also lets you set out the "Howya, finishing up for the day so just wanted to give you a bell if anything is up", and finishing up with "Grand well I'll talk to you tomorrow". Sets the message you are finished for the day.

Advertisement