Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please!

Options
  • 19-04-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm looking to buy a new bike for my daughter. She is nearly 12 but tall for her age about 5' 3".

I think we have it narrowed down to a Giant Liv Alight 3 (419 euro) or a Carrera crossfire 2 in halford (309 euro). The giant is a much nicer looking bike and is lighter than the carrera but I'm trying to figure out is it worth the extra money.

I know nothing about bikes so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Pop along to the Liv store on the long mile road, they have a full showroom just for Liv bikes, they will give you some good advice: http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bike-catalogue/liv/

Stay away from the Carrera/Halfords...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Better resale value, lighter and therefore presumably more enjoyable, looks nicer so more likely to get used, bit of a no brainer, just make sure to get good locks and good lights.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

We went for a Frog bike for our younger daughter (13), though she's short for her age. The experience we had with both our girls at that age was that they never used the front gearing so a bike with a single chain ring and wide cassette made a lot more sense than a triple. We also have Giant similar to the Liv which my older daughter uses all the time and it has proved itself as a reliable and solid bike over the years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CramCycle wrote: »
    Better resale value, lighter and therefore presumably more enjoyable, looks nicer so more likely to get used, bit of a no brainer, just make sure to get good locks and good lights.

And if its being used for a school commute, get reasonably bullet proof tyres fitted (e.g. Marathon plus). 12 year old girls and punctures a good way from home aren't a great mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Eponymous

My wife has the Liv Alight.

It's an excellent bike, light enough for what it is but also very sturdy. She has a child seat on the back and it still handles well with the additional weight.

Would recommend it over the Carrera even if it was €200 dearer!

If the cost is troubling you, perhaps consider a good 2nd hand model?

• Advertisement
Advertisement