Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gestational diabetes question

Options
  • 19-04-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I had my glucose test this morning and I got a phone call this afternoon to say I failed. Have to try the diet first but if that doesn't work I'll be put on insulin. Has anyone any experience of been put on insulin? What's the range you need to be over for them to decide that? My fasting bloods were 5.4, nurse said it should be 5 or under. I'm not sure if 5.4 is classed as overly high?! I have polycystic ovaries syndrome which increases the risk of GD. Im already on innohep injections daily for a blood clot i had at 16 weeks. This pregnancy is really throwing everything at me.

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭missjuly

I don't have experience of being on insulin but I had diet controlled GD two and half years ago and I am 7 weeks pregnant and kind of expecting to get it again. Think m fasting were 5.7 and after the lucozade I went up to 11.6. I went to the "breakfast club" in the rotunda were the check your bloods every two weeks. My levels did go a bit crazy at the end and I was very close to needing insulin but I was 39/40 weeks at that stage. Hopefully yours can be controlled by diet. My sister had it and her hospital put her on glucophage and she had to take her blood sugar six times a day...She ended up loosing alot of weight because she had to be so strict or her sugars would go up ( she was only 8 and half stone to begin with).

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

Hi, I had diet controlled gd on my first pregnancy and was monitored on my second. At 36 weeks there was too much fluid around baby and he was measuring too big so I was put on insulin for 3 weeks to slow his growth. I was terrified but it really wasn't so bad. I was kept in overnight and shown how to do everything and then I injected at mealtimes and before bed with a little pen thing into my belly. It didn't hurt at all. Baby was born then after being induced at 39 weeks weighing 8lb 3oz.
    It can be very daunting but once baby gets here in the end we will kind of put up with anything. Best of luck

Advertisement