Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arbour Hill

Options
  • 19-04-2017 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about moving to a house in arbour Hill. I don't know anyone who lives nearby. What are people's experiences? Is it a safe area? Seems to be lots of rented apartments and houses. Is there much of a community feel?

Is there any hassle with the prison? Any no go streets?

I've lived in Rathmines, Portobello and kilmainham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

You wouldn't say it's safe exactly but it is becoming gentrified so not the worst either. A lot if blackhall students rent in the area. Just be careful if walking around at night etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Is there much hassle with the prison?

con1982 wrote: »

Well in what way?
    If you're worried about prisoners, they are locked inside, so no troubles there!

I'm more concerned with visitors to the prison.

I'm more concerned with visitors to the prison.

Why?
    I'm sure not all prisoners families are criminals, if that's what you mean?
    Arbour Hill is full of sex offenders, probably doesn't run in families!

I'm not sure about parking though? Only problem i can think of

• Advertisement

Sex offenders? Crap. I thought it was republican and high profile prisons. I suppose sex offenders don't run in the family.

What woud you say is the best and worst thing about living in the area? Are there good and bad parts? I'm looking close to the Aishling Hotel end.

I'm living not far from there, and looking at things around there myself.
    It's right beside stonybatter, up and coming allegedly. It's nice though, more places for eating opening up, good pubs.
    Lucas line right beside you, and the phoenix park a couple of mins walk!
    I would walk to town in 10/15 mins.
    Close to hueston station, if you need it, and a dual carriageway straight out to the m50.
    Taxi ( if you need one) few euros from o connell bridge.
    I don't know about schools though, no kids myself!
    I like the area, but probably still a little rough looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Sex offenders? Crap. I thought it was republican and high profile prisons. I suppose sex offenders don't run in the family.

What woud you say is the best and worst thing about living in the area? Are there good and bad parts? I'm looking close to the Aishling Hotel end.

It has so much going for it.
    It's cheap, it's close to the park, it's close by to some great foodie places (Lilliput stores for example) and is walking distance to the city centre.
    It's also one of the few areas of the city that doesn't suffer from rush hour traffic

The downside is that it has some hereditary down and outs, but every year this number falls.

I'd happily live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

No not really, I wouldn't have been there during the day.

You may have trouble at nights with the odd nutter. Arbour Hill used to have a tough reputation but since the last boom Stoneybatter has been bought up by investors and it has spread to Arbour Hill.

Its more a city center feel to it than Rathmines, hence the warning to be careful at night, be wary of anyone who approaches you (normally just for the price of a hostel/ keep the bender going), keep walking, same as any street.

But look drive down there at night with a couple of friends and see what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Have lived in the vicinity forever and it's good for young couples and singles. It's certainly not Rathmines and Portobello but the location is great in a different way . Living beside the Phoenix Park is worth the usual city crap of Zombie druggies.( creepy but harmless in my experience ) The criminal courts on Parkgate st draw in a load of colourful characters but they're not local and are gone by evening and missing at the weekend. I've never heard of any issues with the prison. Perverts and their relatives keep a low profile it seems. The area has changed a lot and it's pretty anonymous these days. I don't know my neighbours anymore like I did when I was growing up.

Funny story! today a hobo type said " lovely day to be in the park" to me while I concurred he smirked "but not if you live in it", as he hopped a fence ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

con1982 wrote:

Most of the prisoners are sex offenders or murdered their wives. Their visitors would be general people. Some of the visitors to other prisons you might not want outside your house. Arbour hill isn't like that

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Have a couple of friends living round the corner, lots of wing mirrors being smashed off at night. One had his jeep set on fire recently, not dramaticising just direct conversations from friends living close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Lived in Arbour Hill for 3 years, near the Sorrentos chippy.

Great little spot, never had any issues at all and liked the area. Like has been said it has a young enough feel with lots of students in the area. Good pubs and restaurants around, two Tescos and soon to be a Lidl up the road.

And good god I miss Sorrentos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Schools are plentiful. ST Gabriel's (primary boys/girls) Stanhope St convent primary/secondary girls)and Brunswick Street boys (primary/secondary)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

As you said the Ashling hotel side of arbour hill, that's more like montpellier hill. Parkgate Street would be your closest shops etc. I never go as far as Manor Street, Stoneybatter. Ryan's and Nancy hands are great and the chipper is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

My aunt lives in Bricins park
    The area is great no hassle from the prison in fact after a while you wont even notice it.
    Some smashing chippers around and pubs but the hookers are still a problem the community guards are great and do run them but you cant watch everything all the time.

If it was me and I could afford it yes go for it with bells on apart from the renters there is a real dub spirit around there and for parking ya cant beat it a short walk to the city if your not lazy!

I drive down arbour hill last night and a friendly young lady came over to my window. Needless to say, I quickly drove off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

con1982 wrote:
    I drive down arbour hill last night and a friendly young lady came over to my window. Needless to say, I quickly drove off.

I didn't think that happened anywhere in Dublin anymore. Thought they made appointments on mobile phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭mrsmags16

Montpelier Hill can be a bit dodgy in appearance - the odd 'tranquil' person passed out on steps etc - but have never had any problems crime wise myself and the area is so handy for the Phoenix Park, transport etc. If you bought you would never have a problem renting the property on afterwards. Arbour Hill through to Stonybatter is a lovely street and the prison and church beside it are actually really pretty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

Lived here for all of my 30 years.Would never move out of the area . It has everything. And easy to get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I went to secondary school on Manor st, never had any problems. Lots of people I know live round there. It's inner city, so it's never going to be Foxrock, but it's not Sherriff St if you know what I mean. Loads of nice places to eat & drink - L. Mulligan Grocer etc. The only negative I can think of is when the Luas started all of the "activity" that was traditional to Benburb street migrated to Montpelier/Arbour Hill. Residents were quite vocal about it re used condoms on windowsills etc so this might have stopped, I dunno. I drive through O'Devaney Gardens every day. Have to say I wouldn't like around there, but Oxmantown Road and envrions is fine IMO.

Advertisement