Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daughter going to work in Disneyland for 3 mths - bank account advice ?

Options
  • 19-04-2017 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

as stated, the 20yr old is heading to work in Disney for the summer. No info as of yet from the recruiter. Do you reckon she will have to open a US account or is this even possible for a non-resident. Else, paid into her IRE account possibly? And if so, what would be the best option for accessing funds ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

Non residents can open accounts. (At least in CA anyway). I presume she's on J1 for the summer? If so she'll have a social security number.

As long as she has a social the banks should be fine.

If for some reason she doesn't have a social it will depend on the banks own policy, I've found Bank of America to be the easiest to work with but she may have to try a few banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Non residents can open accounts. (At least in CA anyway). I presume she's on J1 for the summer? If so she'll have a social security number.

As long as she has a social the banks should be fine.

If for some reason she doesn't have a social it will depend on the banks own policy, I've found Bank of America to be the easiest to work with but she may have to try a few banks.

Cheers for the info. Much appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Bring a proof of address also for the bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If she has two pieces of government issued, photo ID, she should bring them. She'll have her passport obviously, but if she has an Irish drivers license/learner permit/public services card etc etc get her to bring them too. (Not sure if a student ID card counts as government issued.)

To open a bank acct in the US, the banks usually require two forms of government issued photo ID. There may be some that are willing to be flexible if she is a non national, but she'll make life easy on herself if she can arrive with two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

pretty sure Disney has their own bank\credit union for employees. the HR department should be able to assist her in opening an account. when she's ready to come home, withdraw balance and close account

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

Hi

Can I recommend Revolut. It won't take over as a main bank acc. However, it sure will ease transactions from bank of mam and dad, instantly added to her account via app. Also, if she has any euro she will get the better exchange rate.

No charges and no FX fees.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Hi op

I worked for Disney in Florida last Summer. Disney set up bank accounts for us and paid out wages into these. I had no problem accessing money from this account after I came home using the debit card that we were given.

If you've any more questions about the programme don't be afraid to send me a pm

Advertisement