Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBT Expiring

• 19-04-2017 8:58pm

Hi all, just noticed my IBT expires at the end of May this year. I have an A learner permit it's a little confusing but am I correct in saying I will have to redo module 5 to get a new certificate and take my test if I let it expire? Or will I have to do the entire IBT again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just do the test ... Why would you let it lapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

book your test tonight and hope you get a date before the IBT expires.. once it's gone it's gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

get a test asap and look for a cancelation spot, if your ibt expires your going to have to do it all over again .

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭EIRE forever

exactly what lister said, just go an do he test an get your full licence. or just renew the learner permit shi*e.
    MAXFANTANA wrote: »
    Hi all, just noticed my IBT expires at the end of May this year. I have an A learner permit it's a little confusing but am I correct in saying I will have to redo module 5 to get a new certificate and take my test if I let it expire? Or will I have to do the entire IBT again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I actually just rang the RSA about this 5 minutes ago. Apparently right now you don't need to have a valid IBT to sit the test, as long as you have a valid learner permit. But the lady did say that it is expected to change soon. As a result I am going to book my test, and hopefully find a good instructor in north dublin and get a lot of lessons and hopefully pass. I didn't get to sit my test due to a change in circumstances 2 years ago, but now I want to get my license and be done with all this stuff.

Edit - I wouldn't be surprised if I was told by the instructors that I wasn't insured with an expired IBT, Or if I was told no sit with an expired IBT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I had to show my IBT cert at the test last july or whenever it was I did it...

they wouldn't even let me book a test until my IBT cert had been inputted into their system, I got emails from them asking to confirm it had been sent away in the first place such was the long delay in their receiving it

I don't know if it changes throughout different parts of the country but honestly I don't think you could sit your test without a single i dotted or T crossed..

checked my: insurance, IBT, restriction cert, learner permit, bike log book, and needed something with my address on it...

I was asked for mine when i did my test, i wouldn't trust her tbh. They don't have a clue in the office's. You do need it afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

I'm waiting for my test date, and they've told me it's on hold pending receipt of the IBT, so pretty surprising to hear about not needing the IBT for a test.

Sorry guys. When I said you can sit it without a valid ibt I meant that as an expired ibt will be acceptable.

I have another update on this. So I am getting both messages. One person saying I can sit the test with an expired ibt. But then another person said I need to resist the module 5 to renew my ibt which is needed to sit a test.

I am not sure which module 5 I need to sit. Is it the 11 hour progressive access version or 13 hour direct access module? But hopefully I will get an answer to this during he week.

So I have booked my module 5. And going to book my test as soon as I have that done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Gingergals

I'm in your position.IBT expired rang instructor and as you say you don't need a valid ibt for the test but he told me the id only have to do module 5 if it expires. Still pricey tho

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Gingergals

I actually just rang the RSA about this 5 minutes ago. Apparently right now you don't need to have a valid IBT to sit the test, as long as you have a valid learner permit. But the lady did say that it is expected to change soon. As a result I am going to book my test, and hopefully find a good instructor in north dublin and get a lot of lessons and hopefully pass. I didn't get to sit my test due to a change in circumstances 2 years ago, but now I want to get my license and be done with all this stuff.

Edit - I wouldn't be surprised if I was told by the instructors that I wasn't insured with an expired IBT, Or if I was told no sit with an expired IBT.
    I'm in the same position as you,ibt almost expired rang the instructor as you say you don't need a valid ibt to sit your test but should it expire it's module 5 only that need to be redone. Still pricey tho

Advertisement