Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Octavia rear ending

Options
  • 14-04-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

I has something similar a few months ago - luckily in the Octavia as opposed to the R. The only damage to mine was a cracked grill and damaged number plate, and in hers (a Golf) was a tiny little scratch in her rear bumper.

The cost -
    Hers: She brought it to a main dealer - "needed" a new bumper, respray and a couple of other "extras" - total including labour €1200.

Mine - Went into Skoda to get a replacement grill...turns out you can't just get the grill - you need to buy the whole bumper (as the grill is attached) + respray + fitting. They wanted €1100. In the end I got a local bodyshop/crash repair place to keep an eye out - he got a perfect one off another car that had a damaged bumper - fitted it to mine with a bit of plastic weld....cost €100.

Luckily there was no whiplash issues - it was a real worry however as you never know who you are dealing with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

TheBazman wrote: »
    I has something similar a few months ago - luckily in the Octavia as opposed to the R. The only damage to mine was a cracked grill and damaged number plate, and in hers (a Golf) was a tiny little scratch in her rear bumper.

The cost -
    Hers: She brought it to a main dealer - "needed" a new bumper, respray and a couple of other "extras" - total including labour €1200.

Mine - Went into Skoda to get a replacement grill...turns out you can't just get the grill - you need to buy the whole bumper (as the grill is attached) + respray + fitting. They wanted €1100. In the end I got a local bodyshop/crash repair place to keep an eye out - he got a perfect one off another car that had a damaged bumper - fitted it to mine with a bit of plastic weld....cost €100.

Luckily there was no whiplash issues - it was a real worry however as you never know who you are dealing with.

He offered to bring it to any garage I selected which was a good indicator that he would be okay about it, but the only one I dealt with in the past was in Swords, so he said he'd select a local Peugeot garage. If there's any doubt I'll ask him to take it to the place in Swords.

The cost -

A quote for mine? 450e incl VAT for bumper respray and grille refit.

The quote for his? 4000!!!! All new parts, full respray. No favours done there I reckon.

I've asked that he call to the place in Swords, which he has agreed to do.

At this stage it looks like I'll bite the bullet and contact the insurance company and let them take car of it. I've no claims protection. I will worry about it when it comes to next years quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

everlast75 wrote: »

The quote for his? 4000!!!! All new parts, full respray. No favours done there I reckon.

At this stage it looks like I'll bite the bullet and contact the insurance company and let them take car of it. I've no claims protection. I will worry about it when it comes to next years quote.

4 grand FFS... and you gently tipped his rear bumper? What kind of car was it?

JoeA3 wrote: »
    4 grand FFS... and you gently tipped his rear bumper? What kind of car was it?

yep, all from my car tipping his. Sure if it was more than a tip my repair bill would have been higher than 450e.

It was a Peugeot mpv. If that's the damage a tip can cause from behind, then I'm not buying a peugeot that's for sure.

If my insurance company get involved, I strongly suspect it'll be a lot less than that quoted.

yep, all from my car tipping his. Sure if it was more than a tip my repair bill would have been higher than 450e.

It was a Peugeot mpv. If that's the damage a tip can cause from behind, then I'm not buying a peugeot that's for sure.

If my insurance company get involved, I strongly suspect it'll be a lot less than that quoted.

A gentle enough smack can damage brackets / fittings behind the bumper that aren't really visible until the bumper is removed. Or maybe damaged part of the light fitting(s) or boot door, etc... costs to replace all those bits can escalate quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,253 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are not happy with the quote then let it go through your insurance company, they will send out their own assessor to examine the other car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Expensive "foot slip". Been playing on my mind as to "how your foot can slip" and cause so much damage when stopped at lights. Does the car have stop-start?

Could easily happen in any car if your foot slips off the clutch (I think his car is manual) and the car nudges forward.

They all have stop/start but I'm not sure how that would have helped avoid.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    A gentle enough smack can damage brackets / fittings behind the bumper that aren't really visible until the bumper is removed. Or maybe damaged part of the light fitting(s) or boot door, etc... costs to replace all those bits can escalate quickly.

Yup - clearly they have.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are not happy with the quote then let it go through your insurance company, they will send out their own assessor to examine the other car.

Agreed. Would love to see what was finally agreed too.

Anyway - I'm just venting. Back to business as normal :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Guess old habits die hard, I always start the car in neutral with clutch depressed and always into neutral at lights. Not possible for a foot to slip as there is no room between pedals, foot has to be lifted off inadvertently while distracted IMO.
    With all the safety systems in cars accidents still appear to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭MarkN

4k is ridiculous based on what we know here. To think I had issues with a woman not willing to pay €350 cash for a similar tip / repair job (although clips etc were all intact).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I used to have an e92, a driver left her handbrake off and her car rolled into the front wing. Tiny mark so I got a few quotes and got it sorted for a couple hundred euro which she paid me.

Not long after the windcreen washer bottle was found to be leaking. Also had issues with passenger side headlight wash mechanism. 12months later the front head light control unit failed costing me about 600 I think. These issues were all a result of the tip and in the long run cost me time and money.

A family member once had a brand new car tipped in the rear, cracked number plate on front of other car, no visible damage to his car. 2 months later found boot was leaking and had started rusting from inside out (this was the 80s).

So i understand the frustration by you here, but just stick it through insurance, thats what it's for. Wife had a claim around 5k on hers last year and her premium didn't suffer too much come renewal time.

Next time if I was hit I'd be more inclined to go through insurance and proper garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I think no claims protection is only useful if you stay with your current insurance company. If you try to move you will have to admit to having a claim.

I think no claims protection is only useful if you stay with your current insurance company. If you try to move you will have to admit to having a claim.

Yeah, I think you're right. Insurance companies have us by the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The no claims bonus is just another way of saying the amount of discount you have earned.

Your insurance risk is calculated on a number of factors, most of which we know. Age, location, car, miles per annum, previous claims etc. That gives the amount your insurance will cost, and then they apply the discount you have according to your no claims.

In this example, if your no claims is protected and say it's max 5 years plus which might be equivalent to 50% discount a rough calc would be something like.....

Insurance calc before claim was 1200 euro x 50% due to ncb discount and premium due is 600 euro.

Now you have a claim of say 4k declared your risk may be slightly higher so say 1500 euro, but if your ncb is still there then your premium will 'only' be 750 euro.

That's why insurance will go up after a claim even with ncb protected.

We did find though that after my wife had that claim last year no company could come close to her current insurer so maybe some truth in that too.

Another theory regarding insurance premiums is that there is a complicated algorithm that is yet to be understood by anyone outside the industry but it is believed this works on the basis of a random number generator that effectively allows insurance companies to pull a number of of their arse.

vintagevrs wrote: »

Another theory regarding insurance premiums is that there is a complicated algorithm that is yet to be understood by anyone outside the industry but it is believed this works on the basis of a random number generator that effectively allows insurance companies to pull a number of of their arse.

Lol. Reminds me of an old company I used to work for. A running joke was our annual Xmas bonus - calculated by a whole bunch of complex but transparent criteria - eventually had a "boss" multiplier applied. Usually close to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Any time I have ever had cause to get a quote from a body shop for any work the first question has always been - Are you putting it through the insurance? Surely the cost to fix is the cost to fix regardless of how is paying for it. It shouldnt matter for the quote - it should only matter when the paperwork is being done up.
    Not putting through the insurance, cost = x
    Putting it through the insurance, cost = 2x, at least

I'd say getting your name on the list of an insurance companies approved bodyshop/garages is like winning the lotto!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Any time I have ever had cause to get a quote from a body shop for any work the first question has always been - Are you putting it through the insurance? Surely the cost to fix is the cost to fix regardless of how is paying for it. It shouldnt matter for the quote - it should only matter when the paperwork is being done up.
    Not putting through the insurance, cost = x
    Putting it through the insurance, cost = 2x, at least

I'd say getting your name on the list of an insurance companies approved bodyshop/garages is like winning the lotto!

There are loads of reasons why they may ask is it going through insurance.

The main reason I ask is to weed out potential time wasters who want an extensive quote on loads of bits and pieces who have no intention of doing the job. 99% of the time if you are estimating for a 3rd party claim you are as good as guaranteed the work.

Car hire is another, as most people want It, if it's a 3rd party claim the car hire can be charged back to It be rpartys insurer. If you are claiming from your own comp insurance or paying out of your own pocket we would provide a courtesy car for free as an incentive to get the work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

There are regular checks by insurers on approved repairers. Any garage that loses it's contract by inflating estimates are gob****es of the highest order.....but it does happen

Advertisement